Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2020, 08:49 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Fort Worth , Texas
79 Tradewind 25 price??

Hello all! First time hopeful buyers here, desperately looking to make sure we don't pay too much!

We are looking at a 79, Tradewind 25 that has been completely gutted and partially remodeled. New subfloors, PVL, electric, brakes, tanks, AC, heat, wiring, plumbing, appliances etc. all done by a professional company.

Asking 28k.

Is that about right if all of the repairs were done correctly without any other issues?

Thanks in advance!
tschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

You say "partially remodeled." Does that mean that it is a complete trailer, ready to camp in, but some of the interior is the original pieces, and some of it is new, or that it is an incomplete project, still requiring thousands of dollars more to complete. A few pictures, or a link to a craigslist ad would be helpful.

If it is incomplete, then it seems steep. But, let me qualify that. If you towed your dilapidated 50 year old trailer into a bonafide professional trailer fixer and asked them to repair the frame, replace the floor, do the tanks, underfloor plumbing, and electrical and appliances, it would probably cost $25k, and the other $5k is for the shell itself. I suspect that this seller has gotten about half way through the project, realizes there is another $20k to spend to get the interior rebuilt (also by a professional), and now they want to get out and recover all their costs. Or, rather, pass the costs on to the buyer.

One concern is: How do you know these repairs were done RIGHT? I have seen plenty of sketchy subfloor replacements. Anyone who takes money for their services can call themselves a professional--it will be up to you to make sure you are getting what you think you are paying for.

With all that in mind, there is nothing terribly rare or collectible about a 79 Tradewind. For the money, you could probably by a unit that has been fully refurbished, and then used for a while, and is ready to be sold and camped in today, or to get a used (more recent) model. The only reason I could see to go this route is if you have a super unique vision of how you want your trailer laid out, and this would serve as the theoretical "blank canvas," ready to accommodate your dreams. But still, you could buy a field-find trailer of the same vintage for a few thousand, and pick out your own professional, negotiate your own cost, and still come out at least as well.

End of the day, I would say that this is an expensive aborted project that someone else gave up on. They aren't going to get their "investment" back (nor should any reasonable person expect to), and you needn't see this as a bargain.

There is a utility on the "portal" tab of these forums that helps you to find a volunteer trailer inspector. You might find one in your area, and see what someone with a calibrated eyeball thinks of the rig. Might at least give you some leverage to bargain. Also, check out the "classifieds" tab. You might find just what you want, all ready to go.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:07 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Not enough information, but 28K for a project seems too high to me. Condition means a lot. At that price I would expect a ready to roll trailer with working everything, new tires, upgraded converter and batteries and new axles.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:58 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Fort Worth , Texas
Thank you both so much for your responses! All of the information you provided was extremely helpful in giving us a feel for what a realistic price point is. We're excited to be a part of this community!
Old 06-26-2020, 08:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I looked at Craigslist in the Dallas and Ft. Worth areas, and found two Airstream trailers, both post 2000 that appear to be fully function-camp-this-weekend trailers, both for less than $28K.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/rv...134321629.html

The one below is in Arkansas, and has a few bumps and bruises, but the price is almost too good to be true (though the ad looks legitimate otherwise):

https://fayar.craigslist.org/tro/d/b...146616732.html

Anyway, I'm not trying to sell trailers, just providing the above for a calibration. Granted, even a post 2000 trailer can have "vintage" problems like sagging axles, soft spots in the floors, etc.

If you found that Tradewind on the Airstream Classifieds, then I think I ran across it as well. The shop that did the work is reputable, but it looks like a half finished project as I described above. By the time you invest the additional money required to finish it, you'll be out $40k, and there are plenty of trailers that are ready to go for that amount of money.

good luck!
Old 06-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
North Fort Myers , Florida
79 tradewind

For 28K you can probably find much better deals for one that's only 15 years old. However; if you desire a vintage trlr. it could be a decent deal if the work was done right!
TLBIJOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I looked at Craigslist in the Dallas and Ft. Worth areas, and found two Airstream trailers, both post 2000 that appear to be fully function-camp-this-weekend trailers, both for less than $28K.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/rv...134321629.html

The one below is in Arkansas, and has a few bumps and bruises, but the price is almost too good to be true (though the ad looks legitimate otherwise):

https://fayar.craigslist.org/tro/d/b...146616732.html

Anyway, I'm not trying to sell trailers, just providing the above for a calibration. Granted, even a post 2000 trailer can have "vintage" problems like sagging axles, soft spots in the floors, etc.

If you found that Tradewind on the Airstream Classifieds, then I think I ran across it as well. The shop that did the work is reputable, but it looks like a half finished project as I described above. By the time you invest the additional money required to finish it, you'll be out $40k, and there are plenty of trailers that are ready to go for that amount of money.

good luck!
Check closely!!! This exact add in the second link (Arkansas?) is in Air Forums but the map in that ad shows South America location. I smell fishy smells.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Yes, the ad looks legit, but the price is not exactly too good to be true, but too good not to be suspect. Also, they mention in the description removing mouse fur and polishing interior walls, and I don't see much of that. There are a lot of fishy ads out there, so always proceed with maximum caution.

Seems like I just saw a post 200 Safari on the AS Classifieds today that seemed quite attractive...priced in the high 20K range.

Anyway, even if you prefer a legitimately vintage trailer, refurbed ones are not too hard to find at very competitive prices. Just get educated on what "good" looks like so that you can tell the difference between a proper floor replacement and hidden problems.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
ft collins , Colorado
Greybeard

Check out airstream forums classified. 79 a/s carivanner, completely done and ready to go camping for another 5k than the one you are looking at.
greybeard41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:31 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks so much again for all the info!

So first off the Airstream Classifieds listing Belegedhel mentioned was the correct one. This is the one: https://www.airstreamclassifieds.com...olorado-357831

This listing is a seemingly well done restoration but the interior was still needing final finish out. Even then if we were able to complete the rest of the trailer for $5-$10k (may be wishful thinking) it seems like we'd be hard pressed to ever sell a completed '79 Tradewind 25 for the upper $30,000s. Am I on the right track there?

In regards to the originality or "vintage" quality of airstreams is there a sigdificant value drop off around 1970? Is there any additional value that comes with a late 70's trailer or at that point does it make more sense to get a newer trailer from the 80's or 90's?

Thanks again for all the help! We really appreciate it!
Old 06-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
It is a well known reality that putting money into these trailers should not be considered "investment," as it is very unlikely you will ever get your money back out. In that respect they are just like a car or a boat, and they will depreciate (maybe an Airstream holds its value better than the white-box brands, but they still depreciate).

In terms of desirability relating to the vintage of the trailer, I think most people are still not used to thinking of trailers newer than the 70's as "vintage," even though trailers made in the 80's are 30-40 years old now. Maybe it is because the 80's vintage trailers look so similar to the current production that it is hard to tell it isn't modern.

All that being said, typically, the older trailers are the more precious/sought after. The serious vintage trailer aficionados seem to aspire to own a 40's Liner or a 50's Flying cloud, and couldn't imagine themselves in anything newer than a '68. Seems like most of the time I have been an Airstreamer, the vintage arbiters of taste have looked down their noses at 70's era trailers, for a variety of reasons ranging from changes in the company during that period of history to the weight of the trailers, or the materials used in the cabinetry.

I chose a 70's era trailer because I liked the layout, the windows, and the relative "spaciousness." My trailer is in about the same shape progress-toward completion-wise as that Tradewind, the only difference being that I have done all the work myself. I can't imagine anyone paying more than $10k or $15k for my half-finished project, so I would say the "market" price is not dependent on what one spends on a renovation. Most buyers aren't going to appreciate what a professional rebuild costs.

good luck!