Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2017, 09:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Loganville , Georgia
2013 Flying cloud 25 foot twin in good shape, is this price reasonable for you?

We have an opportunity to buy a 2013 used 25 foot airstream for 46k.

We inspected it and the bones are good.

We ran a moisture meter around it and nothing major.

The caulking isn't rock hard, still has some gooeyness to it.

No propane or co2 leaks and all appliances and ac have been tested and work.

The previous owners have taken care of the airstream.

The biggest issue is the power jack will not go up, only goes down, but not a huge deal.

There's also a broken handle on one of the bathroom fans, again, not a huge deal. The cushions are hideous and Id probably rip the upholstry off and cover with a tan leather, again, nothing major, and that's just cosmetic.

The is the size we want. This is the floorplan we want. It also happens to be within driving distance.

MSRP tag was inside the trailer and it was listed at 70k.

We are 32 years old, new to rving (first one) and trying to solicit your help to make the best decision possible!

Do we pull the trigger at 46k?

Thanks so much for your time.
gsugtdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Loganville , Georgia
I forgot to mention that it also will be needing new tires. Not surprising for a 4.5 year old trailer.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:17 PM   #3
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I am no expert on buying used Airstreams, but I have the 2016 version of that trailer, which I bought new, and I looked at a couple used ones before I bought mine. (At 44 I'm only a bit older than you fwiw.)

Sure seems like a decent deal. I have seen quite a few ten year old trailers listing at 40k or more. Certainly helps if that's exactly the layout you want and it's close enough to save travel/pickup hassle.'

You didn't mention if it was a Flying Cloud or International, but I'm betting FC. Remember that the 70 MSRP is almost certainly NOT what the original owner paid. Subtract 15-20% from MSRP and you get close to the actual price paid.

I hope that helps! (Sitting in my 25 right now, about a thousand miles from home!)
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Loganville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
I am no expert on buying used Airstreams, but I have the 2016 version of that trailer, which I bought new, and I looked at a couple used ones before I bought mine. (At 44 I'm only a bit older than you fwiw.)

Sure seems like a decent deal. I have seen quite a few ten year old trailers listing at 40k or more. Certainly helps if that's exactly the layout you want and it's close enough to save travel/pickup hassle.'

You didn't mention if it was a Flying Cloud or International, but I'm betting FC. Remember that the 70 MSRP is almost certainly NOT what the original owner paid. Subtract 15-20% from MSRP and you get close to the actual price paid.

I hope that helps! (Sitting in my 25 right now, about a thousand miles from home!)
Ah yes, it is a flying cloud. Originally I wanted the 23 foot trailer with front dinette. I enjoy this one more because panoramic windows on both ends.

I never thought I'd be into twin beds but I'm fine with them.

My biggest caveat is the trailer needs to be 2012 or newer because that's the year airstream fixed the rear floor rot issue (water leaking in from bumper and over time rotting the sub floor, allegedly)

Thanks for the response, Thiel. I hope you're enjoying your new airstream!
Old 07-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
The price seems reasonable given what you have discovered and shared. An independent inspection by someone who knows RVs well would be prudent.

You seemed to ask for feedback at the end of your post...not sure if you wanted other thoughts in addition to pricing but if so read on. If not, or if I'm off base, please ignore! No response necessary.

Other questions you've probably already thought about before such a big financial decision...Have you ever RV'd before? Do you have a sufficient tow vehicle? Do you have additional dollars available for hitch, aforementioned fixes and tires, other trailer stuff you will inevitably want to purchase, for gas, campgrounds if this is how you will "camp", storage of the Airstream if needed/desired, etc? And when you think of your available time and how many days a year you will be able to/want to use the trailer does the purchase amount feel good? Remember these trailers depreciate like any other toy. Yes, they depreciate slower than many but depreciate they do!

If you feel good about your answers to these questions, and many more that I would guess you've thought about, and the trailer checks out well with an inspection, then you have your answer!

Chris
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Loganville , Georgia
Hi Chris, no experience here. First timer!

No issues with tow vehicle. I estimate I will spend 2-3k after the purchase for things. generator, tires, little fixes, rv supplies, etc

That sound right?

The rv comes with hitch and sway bar.

I'm lucky enough to have loads of free time. I want to use the airstream and learn how to use it efficiently and boondock and stuff as much as possible. I have no kids. Just me and my drone hiking. =]

Storage is already set. I have very wonderful parents that live 15 minutes away from me. =]
Old 07-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our 2012 25 was in excellent condition, every factory option, over $10k in upgrades. We recently sold it to a dealer and they listed it for $49k, sold it quickly but probably for less. If this is from a private party is worth under $40k, minus the cost of fixing what's broken. People often think their Airstream is worth more than what it actually can sell for. If this is from a dealer, you will pay a little more but everything should be fixed.

Beware of any moisture showing on the meter, the plywood subfloor should be bone dry. If not it has a leak(s) and possibly some floor rot. Is the shell rivet areas and seams, wheels and light bezels free of any filiform corrosion, little white spots or squigglies? Is there rust on the underbody steel components?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:01 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsugtdodge View Post
Hi Chris, no experience here. First timer!

No issues with tow vehicle. I estimate I will spend 2-3k after the purchase for things. generator, tires, little fixes, rv supplies, etc

That sound right?

The rv comes with hitch and sway bar.

I'm lucky enough to have loads of free time. I want to use the airstream and learn how to use it efficiently and boondock and stuff as much as possible. I have no kids. Just me and my drone hiking. =]

Storage is already set. I have very wonderful parents that live 15 minutes away from me. =]

Sounds like you've thought a lot though. Nicely done! 2-3k sounds about right if you stay fiscally restrained and don't discover any other issues . Always more ways to spend money!

Boondocking is a lot easier in the western part of the country.

If you want to do a bunch of boondocking and getting away from folks, and since you're traveling alone, I wonder if you would be happier with something smaller that would be more nimble and able to get to hard-to-reach places easier. Larger trailers don't allow you to as easily pull over in smaller pull-outs/trailheads, etc. They are just more to deal with.

I guess my biggest advice for you would be to try something out first by renting to make sure it will do what you want it to. Selling is a pain and usually costs a bunch of money in losses and none of us (that I have heard of) have bought one RV that fits our changing lifestyles for our whole life . Just wouldn't want you to be attracted to the shiny object that ends up limiting your explorations!

Chris
Old 07-15-2017, 11:01 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Loganville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Our 2012 25 was in excellent condition, every factory option, over $10k in upgrades. We recently sold it to a dealer and they listed it for $49k, sold it quickly but probably for less. If this is from a private party is worth under $40k, minus the cost of fixing what's broken. People often think their Airstream is worth more than what it actually can sell for. If this is from a dealer, you will pay a little more but everything should be fixed.

Beware of any moisture showing on the meter, the plywood subfloor should be bone dry. If not it has a leak(s) and possibly some floor rot. Is the shell rivet areas and seams, wheels and light bezels free of any filiform corrosion, little white spots or squigglies? Is there rust on the underbody steel components?
seams and rivets looked good, and saw no rust under.

But now that you mention it there was a slight issue... (maybe not so slight)?

Thanks again for taking your time to respond, by the way.

The moisture meter was good all along the floor except one area in front between the two twin beds. I then went outside with it and ran it along the carpet of the storage area behind the tanks (kinda near where the meter started to beep), and it was bone dry (I assume the carpet covers wood), so I didn't think much of it.

How was your experience with the trailer?
Old 07-15-2017, 11:11 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Loganville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Sounds like you've thought a lot though. Nicely done! 2-3k sounds about right if you stay fiscally restrained and don't discover any other issues . Always more ways to spend money!

Boondocking is a lot easier in the western part of the country.

If you want to do a bunch of boondocking and getting away from folks, and since you're traveling alone, I wonder if you would be happier with something smaller that would be more nimble and able to get to hard-to-reach places easier. Larger trailers don't allow you to as easily pull over in smaller pull-outs/trailheads, etc. They are just more to deal with.

I guess my biggest advice for you would be to try something out first by renting to make sure it will do what you want it to. Selling is a pain and usually costs a bunch of money in losses and none of us (that I have heard of) have bought one RV that fits our changing lifestyles for our whole life . Just wouldn't want you to be attracted to the shiny object that ends up limiting your explorations!

Chris
Ha! funny you say that.

Yes. I am happiest with a 19 footer, but we have other considerations at work.

6 months ago, my dad and I were drinking some scotch, and i randomly blurted out, "dad, you get the tow vehicle and I'll get the trailer!"

2 weeks later he pulls in my driveway with a 2010 f150 and says "ok, your turn"

This is where things get dicey. At the time, I didn't realize how horrible those square white boxes are, so I was expecting to spend 20, and MAYBE 30k max on a sweet trailer/5th wheel.

I didn't even consider airstreams until I became more informed.

When I first saw an airstream (and the price), I said to myself,

"what fool would pay this much for half the space?"

Funny how opinions change. So it goes.

So I'm buying the trailer, but my parents opinion does matter, and they said they aren't comfy in a 19. Dammit. 23 minimum.

This is sorta a joint venture. I store it at their place. I use their tow vehicle. I pay for the trailer.

"Well dad I'm not comfy spending 10-15k more for this bigger trailer just so u and mom can be a little more comfy!"

(didn't really say that, but maybe I should lol)
Old 07-16-2017, 04:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I have a 2012 which we bought one year old. No flaws, really never used. Over 4 years I have seen things break, maintenance required and so on. So, you should expect some issues with a trailer that age, even if it was lightly used and well maintained. I would say that if this is what you want, that is a fair price and it won't stay on the market very long.
The two things I did before I even took delivery of my trailer were 16 inch wheels with Michelin LTX tires and a ProPride Hitch for my Silverado 1500. That trailer has one of the heavier tongue weights. Be sure that the truck your Dad got has adequate payload for what he/you intend to haul around. It will certainly tow the trailer, no matter what. If you are new to this, pay attention to sway control or elimination.
Good luck!
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:01 AM   #12
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
IMHO the price looks good, especially with the items of concern you mentioned.

If you like the 25 twin (which is what we have so some bias here) I would get it. The jack issue is most likely a switch issue.

Recognize that there is always something that could be repaired/improved on an Airstream. I, for one, enjoy repairing/improving ours.

Like I said, I'd get it and fast before someone else does. A late model 25' in good condition (or even in fair condition) will not be on the market long at that asking price!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Ha! funny you say that.

Yes. I am happiest with a 19 footer, but we have other considerations at work.

6 months ago, my dad and I were drinking some scotch, and i randomly blurted out, "dad, you get the tow vehicle and I'll get the trailer!"

2 weeks later he pulls in my driveway with a 2010 f150 and says "ok, your turn"

This is where things get dicey. At the time, I didn't realize how horrible those square white boxes are, so I was expecting to spend 20, and MAYBE 30k max on a sweet trailer/5th wheel.

I didn't even consider airstreams until I became more informed.

When I first saw an airstream (and the price), I said to myself,

"what fool would pay this much for half the space?"

Funny how opinions change. So it goes.

So I'm buying the trailer, but my parents opinion does matter, and they said they aren't comfy in a 19. Dammit. 23 minimum.

This is sorta a joint venture. I store it at their place. I use their tow vehicle. I pay for the trailer.

"Well dad I'm not comfy spending 10-15k more for this bigger trailer just so u and mom can be a little more comfy!"

(didn't really say that, but maybe I should lol)

Okay, now this is all making a lot more sense ! And twins will be great given your situation.

Others have chimed in about price, truck payload, repairs, as well as other good suggestions. One other thought....recovering all the cushions, as you mentioned, might be a bunch of money. I'm sure you could find what others have paid by searching on this forum.

Keep us posted!
Old 07-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I applied the formula I use to determine a "fair" deal and using your sticker price of $70k...came up with $46,100. So the price is right in there. Any less than $46k and the deal just gets that much better.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Loganville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
I applied the formula I use to determine a "fair" deal and using your sticker price of $70k...came up with $46,100. So the price is right in there. Any less than $46k and the deal just gets that much better.
care to share the formula you used?
Old 07-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Burlington , Ontario
Very goid

We purchased our 2012 used a year ago for 70 Canadian and felt it was a good price. We had others asking how did we found ours as they were looking and we're not successful. Yes, I think you have a great price.
drobbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
seams and rivets looked good, and saw no rust under.

But now that you mention it there was a slight issue... (maybe not so slight)?

Thanks again for taking your time to respond, by the way.

The moisture meter was good all along the floor except one area in front between the two twin beds. I then went outside with it and ran it along the carpet of the storage area behind the tanks (kinda near where the meter started to beep), and it was bone dry (I assume the carpet covers wood), so I didn't think much of it.

How was your experience with the trailer?
Is there a fan over the wet area? If so, check for signs of leakage around it - rusted screws, etc. Back a couple of the screws out and check them. If the water was coming from the wall area the storage compartment should have been wet. In my 25, admittedly older, both fans were leaking because they were only screwed into the sheet metal skin with no reinforcement behind. Also, make sure you penetrated all the way to the wood in the floor of the storage compartment. Pull up the carpet at the edge to be sure.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Loganville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Is there a fan over the wet area? If so, check for signs of leakage around it - rusted screws, etc. Back a couple of the screws out and check them. If the water was coming from the wall area the storage compartment should have been wet. In my 25, admittedly older, both fans were leaking because they were only screwed into the sheet metal skin with no reinforcement behind.

Al
The fan isn't exactly over it, but it's close for sure. Definitely could be the culprit. Thanks for the response !
Old 07-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
We have an opportunity to buy a 2013 used 25 foot airstream for 46k.

We inspected it and the bones are good.

We ran a moisture meter around it and nothing major.

The caulking isn't rock hard, still has some gooeyness to it.

No propane or co2 leaks and all appliances and ac have been tested and work.

The previous owners have taken care of the airstream.

The biggest issue is the power jack will not go up, only goes down, but not a huge deal.

There's also a broken handle on one of the bathroom fans, again, not a huge deal. The cushions are hideous and Id probably rip the upholstry off and cover with a tan leather, again, nothing major, and that's just cosmetic.

The is the size we want. This is the floorplan we want. It also happens to be within driving distance.

MSRP tag was inside the trailer and it was listed at 70k.

We are 32 years old, new to rving (first one) and trying to solicit your help to make the best decision possible!

Do we pull the trigger at 46k?

Thanks so much for your time.
This is the exact AS we purchased new in 2013. It is a great floor plan, tow's easy, and fit quite nicely in almost every NP west of the Mississippi. It is also great for boondocking, and KOA's when on the move.

We had the dealer install Solar, and rear/street side awnings. Last year we upgraded to 16" wheels snd Michilen LT tires. We had ZERO issues with this AS with 4+ Months in it each year, thousands of miles.

Our only complaint is the LOUD air conditioning. We have looked at new AS's every year, and the only upgrade we covet is Ducted Air Conditioning.

I think the trailer you are looking at is a very good deal, from our Perspective. Wishing you the best........
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Loganville , Georgia
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170714-193526.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	289638

This photo shows where the moisture meter started to beep. it's an area the size of a medium sized book and it's about 4 inches in front of the storage cabinet that separates the two beds.