Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2017, 09:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Loganville , Georgia
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
2013 Flying cloud 25 foot twin in good shape, is this price reasonable for you?

We have an opportunity to buy a 2013 used 25 foot airstream for 46k.

We inspected it and the bones are good.

We ran a moisture meter around it and nothing major.

The caulking isn't rock hard, still has some gooeyness to it.

No propane or co2 leaks and all appliances and ac have been tested and work.

The previous owners have taken care of the airstream.

The biggest issue is the power jack will not go up, only goes down, but not a huge deal.

There's also a broken handle on one of the bathroom fans, again, not a huge deal. The cushions are hideous and Id probably rip the upholstry off and cover with a tan leather, again, nothing major, and that's just cosmetic.

The is the size we want. This is the floorplan we want. It also happens to be within driving distance.

MSRP tag was inside the trailer and it was listed at 70k.

We are 32 years old, new to rving (first one) and trying to solicit your help to make the best decision possible!

Do we pull the trigger at 46k?

Thanks so much for your time.
gsugtdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
 
Loganville , Georgia
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
I forgot to mention that it also will be needing new tires. Not surprising for a 4.5 year old trailer.
gsugtdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:17 PM   #3
Journeyman
 
2016 25' International
Deerfield , Massachusetts
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 921
I am no expert on buying used Airstreams, but I have the 2016 version of that trailer, which I bought new, and I looked at a couple used ones before I bought mine. (At 44 I'm only a bit older than you fwiw.)

Sure seems like a decent deal. I have seen quite a few ten year old trailers listing at 40k or more. Certainly helps if that's exactly the layout you want and it's close enough to save travel/pickup hassle.'

You didn't mention if it was a Flying Cloud or International, but I'm betting FC. Remember that the 70 MSRP is almost certainly NOT what the original owner paid. Subtract 15-20% from MSRP and you get close to the actual price paid.

I hope that helps! (Sitting in my 25 right now, about a thousand miles from home!)
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
Loganville , Georgia
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
I am no expert on buying used Airstreams, but I have the 2016 version of that trailer, which I bought new, and I looked at a couple used ones before I bought mine. (At 44 I'm only a bit older than you fwiw.)

Sure seems like a decent deal. I have seen quite a few ten year old trailers listing at 40k or more. Certainly helps if that's exactly the layout you want and it's close enough to save travel/pickup hassle.'

You didn't mention if it was a Flying Cloud or International, but I'm betting FC. Remember that the 70 MSRP is almost certainly NOT what the original owner paid. Subtract 15-20% from MSRP and you get close to the actual price paid.

I hope that helps! (Sitting in my 25 right now, about a thousand miles from home!)
Ah yes, it is a flying cloud. Originally I wanted the 23 foot trailer with front dinette. I enjoy this one more because panoramic windows on both ends.

I never thought I'd be into twin beds but I'm fine with them.

My biggest caveat is the trailer needs to be 2012 or newer because that's the year airstream fixed the rear floor rot issue (water leaking in from bumper and over time rotting the sub floor, allegedly)

Thanks for the response, Thiel. I hope you're enjoying your new airstream!
gsugtdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 441
The price seems reasonable given what you have discovered and shared. An independent inspection by someone who knows RVs well would be prudent.

You seemed to ask for feedback at the end of your post...not sure if you wanted other thoughts in addition to pricing but if so read on. If not, or if I'm off base, please ignore! No response necessary.

Other questions you've probably already thought about before such a big financial decision...Have you ever RV'd before? Do you have a sufficient tow vehicle? Do you have additional dollars available for hitch, aforementioned fixes and tires, other trailer stuff you will inevitably want to purchase, for gas, campgrounds if this is how you will "camp", storage of the Airstream if needed/desired, etc? And when you think of your available time and how many days a year you will be able to/want to use the trailer does the purchase amount feel good? Remember these trailers depreciate like any other toy. Yes, they depreciate slower than many but depreciate they do!

If you feel good about your answers to these questions, and many more that I would guess you've thought about, and the trailer checks out well with an inspection, then you have your answer!

Chris
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
Loganville , Georgia
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Hi Chris, no experience here. First timer!

No issues with tow vehicle. I estimate I will spend 2-3k after the purchase for things. generator, tires, little fixes, rv supplies, etc

That sound right?

The rv comes with hitch and sway bar.

I'm lucky enough to have loads of free time. I want to use the airstream and learn how to use it efficiently and boondock and stuff as much as possible. I have no kids. Just me and my drone hiking. =]

Storage is already set. I have very wonderful parents that live 15 minutes away from me. =]
gsugtdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Our 2012 25 was in excellent condition, every factory option, over $10k in upgrades. We recently sold it to a dealer and they listed it for $49k, sold it quickly but probably for less. If this is from a private party is worth under $40k, minus the cost of fixing what's broken. People often think their Airstream is worth more than what it actually can sell for. If this is from a dealer, you will pay a little more but everything should be fixed.

Beware of any moisture showing on the meter, the plywood subfloor should be bone dry. If not it has a leak(s) and possibly some floor rot. Is the shell rivet areas and seams, wheels and light bezels free of any filiform corrosion, little white spots or squigglies? Is there rust on the underbody steel components?
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:01 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsugtdodge View Post
Hi Chris, no experience here. First timer!

No issues with tow vehicle. I estimate I will spend 2-3k after the purchase for things. generator, tires, little fixes, rv supplies, etc

That sound right?

The rv comes with hitch and sway bar.

I'm lucky enough to have loads of free time. I want to use the airstream and learn how to use it efficiently and boondock and stuff as much as possible. I have no kids. Just me and my drone hiking. =]

Storage is already set. I have very wonderful parents that live 15 minutes away from me. =]

Sounds like you've thought a lot though. Nicely done! 2-3k sounds about right if you stay fiscally restrained and don't discover any other issues . Always more ways to spend money!

Boondocking is a lot easier in the western part of the country.

If you want to do a bunch of boondocking and getting away from folks, and since you're traveling alone, I wonder if you would be happier with something smaller that would be more nimble and able to get to hard-to-reach places easier. Larger trailers don't allow you to as easily pull over in smaller pull-outs/trailheads, etc. They are just more to deal with.

I guess my biggest advice for you would be to try something out first by renting to make sure it will do what you want it to. Selling is a pain and usually costs a bunch of money in losses and none of us (that I have heard of) have bought one RV that fits our changing lifestyles for our whole life . Just wouldn't want you to be attracted to the shiny object that ends up limiting your explorations!

Chris
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:01 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
Loganville , Georgia
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Our 2012 25 was in excellent condition, every factory option, over $10k in upgrades. We recently sold it to a dealer and they listed it for $49k, sold it quickly but probably for less. If this is from a private party is worth under $40k, minus the cost of fixing what's broken. People often think their Airstream is worth more than what it actually can sell for. If this is from a dealer, you will pay a little more but everything should be fixed.

Beware of any moisture showing on the meter, the plywood subfloor should be bone dry. If not it has a leak(s) and possibly some floor rot. Is the shell rivet areas and seams, wheels and light bezels free of any filiform corrosion, little white spots or squigglies? Is there rust on the underbody steel components?
seams and rivets looked good, and saw no rust under.

But now that you mention it there was a slight issue... (maybe not so slight)?

Thanks again for taking your time to respond, by the way.

The moisture meter was good all along the floor except one area in front between the two twin beds. I then went outside with it and ran it along the carpet of the storage area behind the tanks (kinda near where the meter started to beep), and it was bone dry (I assume the carpet covers wood), so I didn't think much of it.

How was your experience with the trailer?
gsugtdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:11 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
Loganville , Georgia
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Sounds like you've thought a lot though. Nicely done! 2-3k sounds about right if you stay fiscally restrained and don't discover any other issues . Always more ways to spend money!

Boondocking is a lot easier in the western part of the country.

If you want to do a bunch of boondocking and getting away from folks, and since you're traveling alone, I wonder if you would be happier with something smaller that would be more nimble and able to get to hard-to-reach places easier. Larger trailers don't allow you to as easily pull over in smaller pull-outs/trailheads, etc. They are just more to deal with.

I guess my biggest advice for you would be to try something out first by renting to make sure it will do what you want it to. Selling is a pain and usually costs a bunch of money in losses and none of us (that I have heard of) have bought one RV that fits our changing lifestyles for our whole life . Just wouldn't want you to be attracted to the shiny object that ends up limiting your explorations!

Chris
Ha! funny you say that.

Yes. I am happiest with a 19 footer, but we have other considerations at work.

6 months ago, my dad and I were drinking some scotch, and i randomly blurted out, "dad, you get the tow vehicle and I'll get the trailer!"

2 weeks later he pulls in my driveway with a 2010 f150 and says "ok, your turn"

This is where things get dicey. At the time, I didn't realize how horrible those square white boxes are, so I was expecting to spend 20, and MAYBE 30k max on a sweet trailer/5th wheel.

I didn't even consider airstreams until I became more informed.

When I first saw an airstream (and the price), I said to myself,

"what fool would pay this much for half the space?"

Funny how opinions change. So it goes.

So I'm buying the trailer, but my parents opinion does matter, and they said they aren't comfy in a 19. Dammit. 23 minimum.

This is sorta a joint venture. I store it at their place. I use their tow vehicle. I pay for the trailer.

"Well dad I'm not comfy spending 10-15k more for this bigger trailer just so u and mom can be a little more comfy!"

(didn't really say that, but maybe I should lol)
gsugtdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
lsbrodsky's Avatar

 
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,121
I have a 2012 which we bought one year old. No flaws, really never used. Over 4 years I have seen things break, maintenance required and so on. So, you should expect some issues with a trailer that age, even if it was lightly used and well maintained. I would say that if this is what you want, that is a fair price and it won't stay on the market very long.
The two things I did before I even took delivery of my trailer were 16 inch wheels with Michelin LTX tires and a ProPride Hitch for my Silverado 1500. That trailer has one of the heavier tongue weights. Be sure that the truck your Dad got has adequate payload for what he/you intend to haul around. It will certainly tow the trailer, no matter what. If you are new to this, pay attention to sway control or elimination.
Good luck!
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
Hans627's Avatar

 
2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,260
IMHO the price looks good, especially with the items of concern you mentioned.

If you like the 25 twin (which is what we have so some bias here) I would get it. The jack issue is most likely a switch issue.

Recognize that there is always something that could be repaired/improved on an Airstream. I, for one, enjoy repairing/improving ours.

Like I said, I'd get it and fast before someone else does. A late model 25' in good condition (or even in fair condition) will not be on the market long at that asking price!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsugtdodge View Post
Ha! funny you say that.

Yes. I am happiest with a 19 footer, but we have other considerations at work.

6 months ago, my dad and I were drinking some scotch, and i randomly blurted out, "dad, you get the tow vehicle and I'll get the trailer!"

2 weeks later he pulls in my driveway with a 2010 f150 and says "ok, your turn"

This is where things get dicey. At the time, I didn't realize how horrible those square white boxes are, so I was expecting to spend 20, and MAYBE 30k max on a sweet trailer/5th wheel.

I didn't even consider airstreams until I became more informed.

When I first saw an airstream (and the price), I said to myself,

"what fool would pay this much for half the space?"

Funny how opinions change. So it goes.

So I'm buying the trailer, but my parents opinion does matter, and they said they aren't comfy in a 19. Dammit. 23 minimum.

This is sorta a joint venture. I store it at their place. I use their tow vehicle. I pay for the trailer.

"Well dad I'm not comfy spending 10-15k more for this bigger trailer just so u and mom can be a little more comfy!"

(didn't really say that, but maybe I should lol)

Okay, now this is all making a lot more sense ! And twins will be great given your situation.

Others have chimed in about price, truck payload, repairs, as well as other good suggestions. One other thought....recovering all the cushions, as you mentioned, might be a bunch of money. I'm sure you could find what others have paid by searching on this forum.

Keep us posted!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
The Aluminum Tent 3
 
pcskier's Avatar
 
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,739
I applied the formula I use to determine a "fair" deal and using your sticker price of $70k...came up with $46,100. So the price is right in there. Any less than $46k and the deal just gets that much better.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
 
Loganville , Georgia
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
I applied the formula I use to determine a "fair" deal and using your sticker price of $70k...came up with $46,100. So the price is right in there. Any less than $46k and the deal just gets that much better.
care to share the formula you used?
gsugtdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 25
Blog Entries: 1
Very goid

We purchased our 2012 used a year ago for 70 Canadian and felt it was a good price. We had others asking how did we found ours as they were looking and we're not successful. Yes, I think you have a great price.
drobbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar
 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsugtdodge View Post
seams and rivets looked good, and saw no rust under.

But now that you mention it there was a slight issue... (maybe not so slight)?

Thanks again for taking your time to respond, by the way.

The moisture meter was good all along the floor except one area in front between the two twin beds. I then went outside with it and ran it along the carpet of the storage area behind the tanks (kinda near where the meter started to beep), and it was bone dry (I assume the carpet covers wood), so I didn't think much of it.

How was your experience with the trailer?
Is there a fan over the wet area? If so, check for signs of leakage around it - rusted screws, etc. Back a couple of the screws out and check them. If the water was coming from the wall area the storage compartment should have been wet. In my 25, admittedly older, both fans were leaking because they were only screwed into the sheet metal skin with no reinforcement behind. Also, make sure you penetrated all the way to the wood in the floor of the storage compartment. Pull up the carpet at the edge to be sure.

Al
__________________
“You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"
Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO WBCCI 1322
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
 
Loganville , Georgia
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Is there a fan over the wet area? If so, check for signs of leakage around it - rusted screws, etc. Back a couple of the screws out and check them. If the water was coming from the wall area the storage compartment should have been wet. In my 25, admittedly older, both fans were leaking because they were only screwed into the sheet metal skin with no reinforcement behind.

Al
The fan isn't exactly over it, but it's close for sure. Definitely could be the culprit. Thanks for the response !
gsugtdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
 
amaier7771's Avatar
 
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 125
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsugtdodge View Post
We have an opportunity to buy a 2013 used 25 foot airstream for 46k.

We inspected it and the bones are good.

We ran a moisture meter around it and nothing major.

The caulking isn't rock hard, still has some gooeyness to it.

No propane or co2 leaks and all appliances and ac have been tested and work.

The previous owners have taken care of the airstream.

The biggest issue is the power jack will not go up, only goes down, but not a huge deal.

There's also a broken handle on one of the bathroom fans, again, not a huge deal. The cushions are hideous and Id probably rip the upholstry off and cover with a tan leather, again, nothing major, and that's just cosmetic.

The is the size we want. This is the floorplan we want. It also happens to be within driving distance.

MSRP tag was inside the trailer and it was listed at 70k.

We are 32 years old, new to rving (first one) and trying to solicit your help to make the best decision possible!

Do we pull the trigger at 46k?

Thanks so much for your time.
This is the exact AS we purchased new in 2013. It is a great floor plan, tow's easy, and fit quite nicely in almost every NP west of the Mississippi. It is also great for boondocking, and KOA's when on the move.

We had the dealer install Solar, and rear/street side awnings. Last year we upgraded to 16" wheels snd Michilen LT tires. We had ZERO issues with this AS with 4+ Months in it each year, thousands of miles.

Our only complaint is the LOUD air conditioning. We have looked at new AS's every year, and the only upgrade we covet is Ducted Air Conditioning.

I think the trailer you are looking at is a very good deal, from our Perspective. Wishing you the best........
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
 
Loganville , Georgia
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170714-193526.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	289638

This photo shows where the moisture meter started to beep. it's an area the size of a medium sized book and it's about 4 inches in front of the storage cabinet that separates the two beds.
gsugtdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1969 Airstream Sovereign - Great Shape. Reasonable Price!! eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 02-28-2012 11:20 AM
Is this a reasonable hydraboost replacement price? bkahler General Motorhome Topics 57 10-08-2007 05:10 AM
Reasonable Retail Price Range for 25-28' Excellas Streamer1 Trailer Values 2 08-30-2006 03:53 PM
IS this a Reasonable Price for a Diesel Powered '94 Land Yacht(34')? Mikeinmiami General Motorhome Topics 12 03-29-2006 07:51 AM
Permant floor at a reasonable price? malconium Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 40 02-01-2006 01:18 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.