Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #1

North Quincy , Massachusetts
2009 19' Flying Cloud SE - MSRP Discount?

Hello all!

I'm looking to purchase a 2009 Bambi SE (now known as "Flying Cloud") 19 foot.

Given the state of the economy, I'm thinking this is the right time to buy. I've looked at other RV's and 25-33% off the MSRP seems to be the norm.

The Rig priced out at $51,581. The dealer came back with a 10.5% discount and threw in the brake controller and hitch. As part of their delivery process the trailer would be delivered "ready to go" propane, batteries, hoses, etc.

The question I have is what would be a "fair discount" off the MSRP? I was thinking a minimum of 20% would be in order.

All feedback welcome!

Thanks,
Bob.
BobSenigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Hi Bob
If I were buying right now I think I would look for a GREAT deal on an 08.
Just a thought....
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Bob,

Even though you are in New England, I would highly encourage you to contact Airstream of Arkansas about a trailer. The sales manager Gene (His forum name is Airhog1) has made me and other forum members amazing deals. They even offer delivery!!!!! The number is 1-877-AIRHOG1.

Steve
Old 07-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSenigo View Post
...I'm looking to purchase a 2009...Bob.
greeting bob and welcome to the forums!

so YOU are the one huh?

generally all dealers claim the trailers are "ready to go"

but some buyers don't get it far from the lot (if at all) before issues suggest otherwise...

most dealers will include the cheaper hitches, or maybe a brake controller.

the question is DO YOU want the model and brand they offer on these items?

along with lp gas and a 'rv starter kit' (cheap dump tube and water hose) some dealer INCLUDE other goodies...

take a look at these threads and keep in mind price is not the only COST or ISSUE when buying...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...-se-20214.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...pay-43186.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f468...ari-42455.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...ice-24902.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...6-a-27524.html

there are many more 2b found here.

and here are a couple of 'time warp' threads on similar model prices from ancient times...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...mbi-41084.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f198...mbi-16123.html

always keep in mind...

pricing and buying is a contact sport!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Speaking of purchasing used. Last year we purchased a 03 Airstream from Lazy Days in Florida. We stayed in the AS for 2 nights on their lot trying out all systems. They took care of all issues before we drove off their lot with 5 new tires, 2 full LP tanks, and 2 new batteries and an AS which had been completely checked out.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Corvallis , Oregon
Hi All,

I know this thread is fairly old, but I am a newbie to Airstreams, and seriously contemplating purchasing a 2008 19' Safari SE from a dealer's old stock. They are quoting $38,995 and listing the MSRP on this model of $49,694 which is a 21% discount. Should I feel comfortable buying at this price or negotiate for a hitch, brake, etc.? They mentioned some flexibility, but are also talking about a "sart-up package" that has their technicians spend 2 hours familiarizing us with the trailer. I am thinking that we can learn this on our own, and save $1000(?). Any perspective would be much appreciated as we are ready to move on this one soon.
Thanks,
Russ
fab_fourd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Russ,
Considering today's economy, and it being a 2008 model, I wouldn't consider anything less than a 25% discount. That "startup package" sounds a bit like a car dealer's gimmick because any good Airstream dealer is going to have his Service Manager give you a thorough walk-through/explanation of the trailer......this will last a couple of hours and you should consider video-taping it for future reference. A really good Airstream dealer will let you spent a night, or two, on-site checking out all the systems and correcting any deficiencies before you head out. I know it is a long way to Arkansas for you, but I can "highly" recommend Airstream of Arkansas (Gene Morris)......you will not be disappointed with the sales or service from this top-notch dealership (based on mine, and several forum members' experiences).
Chief
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Corvallis , Oregon
Thanks Chief for the quick reply. That is where we thought we would negotiate. Good to know about the "package"; hadn't thought of the video, though. Appreciate it.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Corvallis , Oregon
Checked with Gene at AS of Ark., but no stock on a 19' SE. Anyone worked with Bates in FL? Any other dealers that are recommended (or should be avoided!)?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
How about Colonial?
They say they ship worldwide!
Seems like a nice family owned business.
I'm amazed at how much inventory they stock.
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I too am a newbie to the forum, mu husband & I have fallen for the 16' Bambi - the DWR, Ocena Breeze or Signature are all lovely but of course pricey!!! We are looking at purchasing in the US but our dollar sucks and I'm a bit worried about warranty issues... Spokane quoted us a "really good" price on a 08 Ocean Breeze at $40,000. I know we would negotiate from that and am wondering what folks here would think a fair price. Also, what sort of "extra stuff" are we going to need to buy (I see comments here about a brake & hitch?).

Any advice here is appreciated. This will be a big purchase for us but we plan to keep it for years & years so can sorta justify it... we are frist timers to RVing so trying to figure out what there is to know before we buy!
mk-kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
2008 Bambi

I found a 19' Bambi SE at Manteca Trailer in Manteca CA. New for $29,995. I am trying to get some friends to buy it but I think it is too short for what they want. Good price though. Sticker is a bit over $50k

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Russ:

Since you are in Corvallis, I'm assuming that you were dealing with George Sutton RV in Eugene. I purchased a 2008 Safari 20 SE (pretty much the equivalent of the 2009 Flying Cloud 20) from Sutton last July. Relative to MSRP, I paid 19% off list. I also purchased a hitch and brake controller. They threw in some "starter" items and also insisted that I go through their two hour walk through and instruction session, which was gratis. One particular thing that made purchasing from Sutton sweeter was that Oregon does not charge sales tax. That saved me $3000 so I figure that I actually got 24% off compared to buying in other states.
smeltersmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Corvallis , Oregon
Thank you all for your help here!!
I am deciding between the same model (don't know details about option differences yet) at Sutton RV in Eugene and Manteca RV. I would appreciate anyone's experiences with these dealers in regard to support and service. We will need to have a brake controller (with updated trailer wiring) and weight distributing (Equalizer?) hitch installed as well as providing newbies all the info we need to get going.
Appreciate any and all advice.
-Russ
Old 02-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Even though the AS is at Manteca, I would not like to go there for service. The last work I had done was crap and their sales process can be just like at a used car lot. Lots of pressure. I drive the extra 60 miles each way to get my work done at Toscano. Of course, you are just buying the trailer in Manteca, Sutton would do your warranty, etc. Manteca is closing out their inventory of AS's from what the sales rep told me. Of course, sales reps never lie

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Hi,

We bought our A/S from Colonial Airstream in New Jersey back in 2006.... 100% satisfied and you just can't beat their inventory, great service shop, and as far as I know you can't beat their pricing. I have heard of people who come from California to NJ because of the great deal they get.

Anyway, for my 2 cents check with Patrick the sales guy from www.colonialairstream.com

best of luck, Dave W.
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2009 23' International
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Anyone have any recent information on dealer financing offers? As we all know, credit has been tight but I wonder if things are beginning to loosen some?
jglabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:13 AM   #18
Kathryn Mackay

2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Victoria , British Columbia
Russ did you end up buying? Tell us all about it!
kjbowler is offline   Reply With Quote