Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Lloydminster , Saskatchewan
1990 34' Excella

Hello all!

I came across an ad for a 1990 34' Excella for sale and we took a drive yesterday to look at it.1990 Airstream Excella 1000 - Edmonton Cars & Vehicles - Kijiji Edmonton

It is in very good condition, inside and out, with only a couple of 'owies'. (I have more pics on my personal computer if anyone would like to see them). The gentleman bought it from a couple who leased this lake lot and were moving back to Ontario. He had his own unit to park there, but the airstream came with the lot. They have put a rock guard on the front, but my husband says it looks as though it may have at one time had some front end underneath damage. There is a front stabilizer jack missing, and the other front one is damaged. The metal guard along the bottom at the front end is also missing. There is a spray foam insulation that has been put in under there.

Also, the support brackets for the awning are not on the trailer, and appear as though they may have been 'ripped' off? They are included with the trailer, and actually appear to be in good shape, but we're not sure why they aren't actually attached to the trailer itself.

Everything else is in excellent working condition, and it has been kept immaculate.

I think that the asking price is near ballpark, but a bit on the high side...what do you think? We could really use some informed opinions regarding the value on this baby. We both REALLY like it, and they are very very hard to find around here, but at the same time, we do not want to overspend.
Wegotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Sight unseen with arguably limited experience in pricing units, so take this for what it is worth (not much), I would not pay what they are asking. That front end damage looks like there is more than meets the eye. Also, front living room looks like it has some "customization" done. For 20k you would think there would be some premium units out there. How hard is it to get one over the boarder?
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
The front end damage does concern us as well - the guy that is selling it now really doesn't profess to know much about it, but he seems to have been as honest as he can be thus far. However, we are thinking that he too was uninformed about the existing damages to the unit.

You're right about the customization on it as well. The front end has had some changes made, and the couch at the front is a recliner/loveseat that we would be taking out.

As for getting one from over the border, it doesn't seem as hard to find them there, but it's another matter of getting one - once you calculate the costs involved of going such a distance, or having one shipped, they seem to rack up the costs quite quickly.

Any thoughts on what a person might offer him for this one? We don't mind putting a little hard work into fixing it up, but it has to be the right price in the first place, or it's just not worth our time and money.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
The band-aid on the front end would give me some serious questions.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
We bought our '90 34' unit (same exact unit) one year ago for under $16k. It was/is immaculate inside, and I did not have any damage up front. And what's with the black front and wrap around? I wonder if the reason the original gaucho is missing is that it was also damaged in the front end "crash" (or whatever damaged it). Who knows what the frame looks like, but this unit was NOT fixed by anyone authorized to fix Airstream's (the black front end gives this away to me).

There are many great looking 34' for sale these days. Keep watching Craigslist and eBay. Make sure to get any unit you want inspected BEFORE you buy. IMHO I would run far from this unit, especially at this cost.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
dixmont , Maine
i bought a 1989 excella 34' last october with some scratches and dents, and a little floor rot, but nothng major for 11,500. even a perfect excella should probably not sell for too much more than 15,00ish
TASchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello... My honest opinion would be to forget this one... just looks like a lot of heartache... definitely doesn't look right...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegotone View Post
Hello all!

I came across an ad for a 1990 34' Excella for sale and we took a drive yesterday to look at it.1990 Airstream Excella 1000 - Edmonton Cars & Vehicles - Kijiji Edmonton

It is in very good condition, inside and out, with only a couple of 'owies'. (I have more pics on my personal computer if anyone would like to see them). The gentleman bought it from a couple who leased this lake lot and were moving back to Ontario. He had his own unit to park there, but the airstream came with the lot. They have put a rock guard on the front, but my husband says it looks as though it may have at one time had some front end underneath damage. There is a front stabilizer jack missing, and the other front one is damaged. The metal guard along the bottom at the front end is also missing. There is a spray foam insulation that has been put in under there.

Also, the support brackets for the awning are not on the trailer, and appear as though they may have been 'ripped' off? They are included with the trailer, and actually appear to be in good shape, but we're not sure why they aren't actually attached to the trailer itself.

Everything else is in excellent working condition, and it has been kept immaculate.

I think that the asking price is near ballpark, but a bit on the high side...what do you think? We could really use some informed opinions regarding the value on this baby. We both REALLY like it, and they are very very hard to find around here, but at the same time, we do not want to overspend.
What's with the lack of banana and underbelly wraps at the front end?

The lack of those parts has let some rain get to the floor.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
hi wegotone

don't give up on importing from the US, the cdn dollar is on the rise again. I found it very easy to import - there are some threads which discuss it.

You might take advantage of the list of inspectors on this forum - they could inspect for you before you make a big trip to buy one. good luck!
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I bought a '92 in perfect condition with a brand new Dometic fridge for $15k.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Wow - thank you all VERY much! We are going to go in another direction and keep on looking, as per the very valued opinions we have gotten on here.

Soooo - wish us luck!