Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #1

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Warren , Michigan
Unhappy 1978 Minuet 6.0 Metre: What's it Worth?

Hello all, recently my father passed away unexpectedly. My mother now finds herself in possession and title of a 1978 Minuet 6.0 Metre... She was pondering keeping it to take her grandkids camping every now and then. Both my mom and dad were very passionate about Airstreams and camping in general.

Unfortunately, there's just too many memories for her. They got their fair share of camping out of it, to be sure, so she recently informed me that she intends to sell it, to a friend of the family if she can. I'd like to know how much it is worth. Anyone help me out? Here are a few more details on the Argosy:

The outside is definitely original, and while it is weather-beaten in spots, it's in good condition. There's no rust. However, a few months before my father passed, they took it camping and while driving home through construction, there was extensive damage to the underside. My father had it patched up, just so no "critters" would get in the next time camping. He planned to eventually have it fully repaired. Little did we know this would be the last time taking it out. Now I haven't seen the "patch" job myself, but I'm guessing that it is OK to camp in right away.

As for the interior, I'm not sure what is original and what is not. The seats and table have a vintage look to them, as well as the cabinets. My father repaired the ends of two of the cabinets, and all and all everything inside of the travel trailer is in good condition, with the exception of the fridge door, which my father made a special latch for, planning to have it fully operable later on. The fridge keeps things very cool, and the cabinets are as sturdy as ever. However, I'm not sure if the water system is operable or not. While my parents purchased this trailer years and years ago, they didn't do any rustic camping with it at all, and never had need to use the water system. They made sure at the very least there was running water nearby, and for the most part camped with electrical on-site.

My mother isn't very concerned with how much money she gets from the purchase, she just doesn't want to be "low-balled", and I can't say I blame her. Ballpark figures will do. While this trailer definitely needs some minor repairs to be fully-functional and all, overall it's in good shape.

Thanks in advance for your time everyone.
BelgianCat29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forum. With no pictures, and no description from an experienced Airstream owner, no one will be able to tell you.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Sorry about your father passing away.

I would take some pictures and put them on this site. Since you live in a major metropolitan area, it should not be too hard to find an airstream person to stop by to look at it and advise you of a ballpark figure of what it is worth. Then either put it on the forum or Ebay. Ebay will insure that you don't sell it for too little. Good luck.
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1978 Minuet 6.0 Metre: What's it Worth?

Greetings BelgianCat29!

Welcome to the Forums!

Sorry to hear that a sad event brings you to the Forums.

The Minuets are comparatively popular little coaches. To remain within the coaches GVWR, it is rather important that the original cabinetry be present as the original material is vinyl-clad aluminum and any replacement material is likely to increase weight substantially.

For comparison, the photo below is of the original interior upholstery in my 1978 Minuet:

The interior color choices for 1978 included orange, sky blue, spring green, or gold. The original carpeting was shag, and it was laid throughout the coach.

Recent prices have remained somewhat within the following range:
  • $1,500 -- needing complete restoration inside and out.
  • $3,500 -- serviceable needing refurbishment ready to camp, but mostly original
  • $5,500 -- internal systems updated . . . . or . . . . exterior repainted
  • $10,000+ -- interior and exterior restored to original or better condition.
Good luck with your investigation.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #5

Warren , Michigan
Arrow

Thanks all for your replies. I recently learned that my father was actually a member of the forums some time ago. Now he is relaxing in the big Airstream in the sky. Thanks all for your time. Be safe.
BelgianCat29 is offline   Reply With Quote