Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Wink 1975 Overlander

Ok, ok. I promise the search will end soon. So, we are on to yet another trailer. This one is a 1975 Overlander. The trailer has sat in Arizona for about 8 years without any use, so not sure what can happen to systems in that state. Anything in particular that can rot or get a bit "to" dusty in that time that might need replacement? We are in Utah, so it would be nice to be informed as possible before venturing out. Anyone know an inspector in Phoenix area?

Also, anyone pulled their rig cross country using a veggie burning vehicle?? Are we crazy and asking for to much of an adventure? Sounds like a good time to me! Any feedback is happily digested!

LucyP
LucyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hi LP-- don't feel like you should end the search soon just to get it over with. Find the right one for you. I've been seaching for months and have come close a couple of times, but for one reason or another it didn't work out. Keep on lookin', you'll find it.

If you're willing to travel to Arizona, keep an eye on all of their Craigslist entries. There always seem to be a pretty large inventory available there, especially in the Phoenix area. I've already seen two come and go that I would have loved to obtain if they were a bit closer to me and I could have inspected them before someone else got them.

I'll let the Airstream veteran experts answer your other questions, but don't settle in your search. You'll find the right one.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Just doing my daily Craigslist seach and saw this '75 Overlander on the Phoenix Craigslist, is this the one you're looking at? It looks like it's decent, though maybe a bit on the pricey side at $6500.

1975 Airstream Land Yacht 27'

There's another one on Phoenix Craigslist from a few days earlier, a '65 Overlander. The price is lower at $2K but looks like it needs a lot more work. I really like these mid 60s Overlanders.

1965 Overlander Airstream

And here's a '69 Overlander from a couple days before that, not sure if it's still available or not:

Airstream 69 26' Overlander

Heck, if I lived in Phoenix, my search would be DONE by now!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Ya know IMHO the 27 is the perfect size Airstream. The rear bath is the ideal layout to me, but has it's problems as documented many places on this forum regards to possible frame seperation.
The twin bed thing offers many possibilities to improve but demands improvement in the Airstream original idea. If you are a solo user then the other twin area makes a fine study/desk area. but it takes a wee bit of ingenuity to build that over the wheel well. Nice fun challenge though.

My personal rule of thumb is never buy any Airstream older than '74 unless there are special circumstances. (of which there could be many).
Grey Tanks became "almost" standard in '74 and axles rubbers were improved in either '74 or '75 according to Inland Andy & Henschen. No one is sure which year or whether the change took place in the middle of one of those years unfortunately.
As I stated in another value thread I think prices will fall a bit as gas continues to rise. I do think a 27' 1975 model is worth a little bit of a premium. Maybe 750-1000 dollars more than a longer model of same condition & age.
I'd go 4000 ideal and up to 5000 on that one, assuming no major flaws.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote