Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #1

1967 30' Sovereign
odessa , Texas
1967 28-30ft Airstream, What's it worth? HELP!

I have a old 67' 28-30ft Sovereign.
It is in truly poor condition. No original windows, (ghetto plexiglass)
Door is messed up, skylights all broken, all plumbing bad...
Every part of this trailer would need to be gutted and redone.
Plumbing, floors, flooring, cabinets, wiring, hitch coupler, the whole enchilada!
The only thing its got going for it is a 3 burner stove i'm fairly sure works, and the turquoise blue oven. It also has 4 brand new tires on it. (bought 6 weeks ago.)

So what's it worth?
People keep telling me, "Vicky, it's old, there are folks out there that will pay you a lot for it no matter how much work it needs."
I don't buy that! I've read too many posts about what people are saying they're willing to spend on a total project trailer.
Does it's elderly age make a difference?
I would like to sell it for what's it worth. Not waste anyone's time or try to rip anybody off. But I don't wanna give it away either. I appreciate everyone's input here. Thanks so much!!! :diz zy:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11125833_10205500848993800_17092498_o.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	236338  
mumme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:45 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Do a little searching around on Craigslist in your area, and you'll get an idea of what it's worth. There is less interest in them the bigger they are. Little ones are the most popular. In my opinion, a 28ft trailer, missing all of it's very expensive Corning windows, with a damaged door, needing a new floor, etc..That's going to be a very hard sell.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A trailer that you've described is good as a "donor" or as a good shell. With no original windows, it's lost a lot of "donor parts". You didn't mention the body itself. If every panel is dinged or badly patched, it isn't even a good shell.

The good news? You are in Texas. There are two Airstream Only RV Parks and a lively community of people who restore vintage units in your vicinity. That could get you some extra bucks. People go crazy looking for old emblems, window latches, stoves, and those pastel appliances. If it's been neglected for years you might get more parting it out, but if the shell is straight and doesn't have huge dings and if the curved segments are all really good then someone will probably want to bring it back from the dead.

Without posting a lot of exterior and interior pictures, it would be foolish to even guess - but strictly as a WAG I'd say $2000 max with a good shell. Bad shell? Pull the appliances, get the tires back and recycle it for $500-$600.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:56 AM   #4

1967 30' Sovereign
odessa , Texas
Thank you both for responding to my query so soon!

The exterior is in decent enough shape I suppose. The curved portions are without major dents, but everything in Texas gets hail damage..I've never looked at the old girl close enough to see if she has any.
I know its still really water tight, and the rivets on the seams are all solid and un-tampered with. The access door on the back right side where the water heater once was is gone and has been rigged with a screwed in piece of sheet metal.
There are still original fixtures that are still sound like the corner blue bath tub and sink, kitchen sink, cabinet doors and the curvy cabinets are all still in it.

If I were better off financially, and had the funds to throw at it, I would. I always wanted to bring the old girl back up to par. maybe not vintage true, but fun and useful again. After investigating on the windows and discovering the price tag for them would be around $2000, I let go of this notion. Because I am sure the windows are just a drop in the bucket compared to the final price tag on a project like this.
I'll admit though, it broke my heart. I love airstreams. Maybe one day I can purchase a nice used one that doesn't need so much renovation.

Thank you for the tip about the airstream community in Texas. That will help me determine it's local worth.
mumme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Tigard , Oregon
If you decide that you are going to part out the old girl I would be interested in the screen door as mine was purchased sans screen door. Finding a suitable replacement has proved very difficult. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
moserj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
Megank in Florida is looking for one to restore ..Forums from 15 Apr. Make her a good deal, she's 19 and her dad can help with the restore. 20K sounds like her budget.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I bought that year, here in Ontario for $500 for parts. Got what I needed and resold what was left for $500. So it's always worth $500. Old rotten tires on mine.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I had a friend who bought something like this from the Wreckers for the value of the metal...'by-the-pound' so to speak. Sound like yours is worth a bit more than that basedon no leaks and fairly good interior
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags