Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #1

Houston , Texas
What's it worth?

Going to look at a '67 Ambassador that's been gutted, missing 2-3 windows. Owner has clear title.

1967 Airstream Trailer -Reduced-

Any ideas of its value would be appreciated.
dvhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Poor trailer. Gutted and missing windows. If the missing windows are side windows, those are curved Corning glass and are expensive to replace correctly.

If you were going to completely fabricate a new interior anyway, I would bargain down from the $1500 - but in the overall scheme of the costs of a trailer restoration, and given that big vintage Airstreams garner less than the little ones, it probably would cost less in the long run to start with a more complete trailer.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I just got a 67 Tradewind missing windows Interior complete but damaged for $600
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
plano , Texas
Offer 1k with the intent of putting it out of it's misery. You should be able to get more than 1k out of the aluminum and misc window hardware/windows and use that money for a different trailer.
tschat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Bargain HARD

I'm normally a person who believes in "fair bargains" - economical but not something that strips the last nickel from a distressed seller's hand.

However if it's gutted and has had long term glass loss, you're 99% sure to need a floor replacement, and major repairs if not outright replacement of the frame. And then new axles are a sure bet, and every new appliance, wiring, plumbing, and on and on and on.

Give them a little more than they'd get if they sold it for recycling. That's about $500 - $600.

That way you can thoroughly examine the unit and rebuild it if you want, or if it's too far gone on closer examination... you can sell it to the recycler and break even.

Paula
Old 01-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Can you locate Caldwell, Ne?
I lived in Neb. for 29 years. Name sounded familiar.
After numerous searches this is result:
Sorry, No Data for a "caldwell, Nebraska"

Craigslist is a great tool, but realize that one really needs to check things out.

Bob
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
This is hardly worth the time to match windows with R.J. Dial's photos. 29' suggests Ambassador (28') or Sovereign (30'). Actual measurements were originally based on bumper-to-ball length.

The shell stiffness that supports the whole structure is shot to he** when they've ripped out the inner skin.

Value? It's off the bottom of R.J. Dial's scale...

That's a piece of cr**. It's worth something more than the aluminum recycling value (not much). Somebody screwed this sad Airstream up royally. You should almost pay them to take it off their hands. I'd say you are being charitable with a $500 offer, but have them throw away your phone # if they don't accept that. I'd bet you'd have to flatbed that away from there.

You'll spend thousands getting this back to barely restorable but, hey, it's a clean slate. <sigh>

Definitely plan on the laborious process of riveting in new interior aluminum skin if you want to pull this along the road. Axles. New Wiring. Total re-do on the plumbing? This one is kinda sad...

There are plenty of needy Airstreams out there in the $3-8K range that will wear on your patience. Guaranteed, you will put in 2-3x what you could recover on resale to get this one back to "rustic." Please look quite a bit further.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post
Can you locate Caldwell, Ne?
I lived in Neb. for 29 years. Name sounded familiar.
After numerous searches this is result:
Sorry, No Data for a "caldwell, Nebraska"

Craigslist is a great tool, but realize that one really needs to check things out.

Bob
Try Caldwell, TX, it's in the Houston craigslist.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #9

Houston , Texas
Thanks for all the great feedback! We are primarily interested in restoring it enough to use as a getaway on some land we have nearby. Being an utter newbie, I fear I'm getting in over my head. Your thoughts?
dvhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
This trailer is a "I would pass on this one" candidate! You are correct to say you are over your head. Keep looking... I bought my '67 Safari for $1000.00 in '04 and have yet to pull it from my driveway, and it was complete on the inside but needed plexiglas windows replaced. Your money would be better spent on a more complete trailer to restore/update. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvhendrix View Post
Thanks for all the great feedback! We are primarily interested in restoring it enough to use as a getaway on some land we have nearby. Being an utter newbie, I fear I'm getting in over my head. Your thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
This trailer is a "I would pass on this one" candidate! You are correct to say you are over your head. Keep looking... I bought my '67 Safari for $1000.00 in '04 and have yet to pull it from my driveway, and it was complete on the inside but needed plexiglas windows replaced. Your money would be better spent on a more complete trailer to restore/update. Happy Trails, Ed
Here's one in your area, that may be a good one to start with:
1968 Airstream Ambassador
Old 01-06-2010, 07:01 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
plano , Texas
Check out this one also in Houston. This would be a better bet even withougt any pictures of the inside.

1967 24' Airstream - $2000 (Dickinson)

http://houston.craigslist.org/rvs/1538806290.html
tschat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvhendrix View Post
I cannot speak to whether you are over your head, but I would be, and I am restoring/refurbishing a '64 that was basically complete (but rough). I would not touch this one; too much time, and way too much money required to put it in any kind of shape.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote