Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Delta , British Columbia
What would you pay?

I'm looking for a volunteer inspector for the Ft. Worth Texas area. Unfortunately, I've reached out to those listed here on air forums but have not heard back. Any ideas of where I go from here? I checked into paying for an inspection and the costs are $400-1000. Seems alot to pay before I'm sure.

Having said this, I'm wondering if this is a good deal on a 2009 34 ft. SO. It's listed for $65,000. Pictures and videos show an Airstream in great condition. However I'm concerned that it was reskinned in 2015 due to hail damage. It was reskinned by Airstream in Jackson, OH. Here's the blurb from the ad:

"This is possibly the nicest 34 foot Classic Limited Airstream with a slide out in existence. I bought the trailer in May of 2012 in a like new condition. It has been garaged ever since. In the spring of 2015 we got caught out in a hail storm which caused extensive exterior damage. There was no interior damage. I was able to get the trailer to the Airstream factory in Jackson Center, OH where it was totally reskinned and brought back to a like new condition. Two new ac/heat pump units were also installed. The standard equipment and upgrades are too numerous to list but here are a few: It rides on three Dexter Never Lube axles, all with hydraulic disc brakes, new tires in 2018, tire pressure monitoring system, Reese weight distributing hitch, two 40# aluminum propane tanks, AV upgrade with two flat screen tvís, solar charging system and a 600W inverter, 10cf refrigerator, 50 amp cable with surge protector, 30 amp cable with adapters, rear bedroom with queen bed, stainless steel covers on water fill door, hot water heater, vent hood exhaust and furnace exhaust. Empty weight is 9,226# and loaded weight is 11,500#. I will supply the complete list of standard and optional equipment and features upon request."

What do you all think?
TIA
Innotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Maybe wait and see if you can find anyone to do the inspection via this thread.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Currently Looking...
City , Georgia
When I bought my used 2006, I paid for an inspection. I was able to use the inspectorsí detailed photos and report to negotiate a lower sales price due to issues he found.

Best $450 I could have spent.
GotTaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, if you get a solid (it wonít be perfect) inspection report, the price is not unreasonable. New axles with never lube bearings, new acís...

If JC did the structural repairs, there should be no problem there.

I had a 31í for many years and can testify that the long trailers tow beautifully. It is also nice to have all the extra storage. You will be challenged to get into some older campgrounds as many were laid out when trailers were a lot smaller on average. Google Earth is your friend as is RV Park Reviews.

Hope you find an inspector.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Sounds like a top notch trailer. Not sure what you are asking. I would either go look at it (I guess you cannot do that with the border closed?) or pay the inspector. I expect if you want this trailer you will have to pay about the asking price. Seems like a knowledgable seller and demand is up now. With this trailer it comes down to the individual unit and its condition and desirability. I do not think the year and averages of pricing apply.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Keep in mind an inspection report will come in handy if you buy this AS and have to make an insurance claim in the future.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Delta , British Columbia
Thanks everyone. I value your input. We’ve decided to pass. With the border closure, pandemic, and protests/riots it’s just not the right time for us to be buying so far from home. We want this experience to be fun and this isn’t.
Innotu is offline   Reply With Quote