Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
What would you do?

Looking for advice.
I currently own a nice motorhome that's been sitting for 5 years under cover. It runs fine, just has 37K miles on the diesel and looks great.
I was going to trade it on a new Airstream, but the dealer is not giving me anywhere near what it's worth.
So, I've posted it for sale and have had moderate interest.
Here's my dilemma, Since it's been sitting, I don't want to take someone's money and have them disappointed when something needs repair.
Should I tell prospective buyers that I'll be glad to get it serviced and everything checked, OR discount the price and let them use the savings to fix things themselves.
For instance, the dash air doesn't blow cold. I'm sure a dealer will charge me $2000. Or I could tell the buyer, "I'll take $5000 off and you can address any issues you need to."
So far everything I tried worked, but I haven't put the jacks down or run the fridge on propane, or tried the water pump. I'd rather go to a repair place, make a list, and let them check it over. On the other hand, I don't want to spend thousands if I end up trading it and getting nothing.

What would you do?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Personaly I would at least test every system for proper function. I would insure the motor starts easily and the tires are safe for the road. Is the tag and any required inspection stickers current? That way the unit can be legally and safely test driven. After all that be honest with perspective buyers. It is up to them to do due diligence, ask the right questions and have the unit inspected if they desire. Do not lie purposely or mislead the buyer. That can come back and bite you in the ass. Sell as is.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Personaly I would at least test every system for proper function. I would insure the motor starts easily and the tires are safe for the road. Is the tag and any required inspection stickers current? That way the unit can be legally and safely test driven. After all that be honest with perspective buyers. It is up to them to do due diligence, ask the right questions and have the unit inspected if they desire. Do not lie purposely or mislead the buyer. That can come back and bite you in the ass. Sell as is.
This sounds like great advice. I would do the same if it was me selling your unit!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
This sounds like great advice. I would do the same if it was me selling your unit!
Thanks, yes, I've kept the tags current, even though it's been sitting. The tires are new, in that I put a new set on after my last trip, and I checked the date codes, they're good for at least 5 years. I have driven it around the storage lot (It's very large) but but I don't have liability insurance so I haven't taken it on the highway. I'm confident it runs fine. It's all the little things. I guess the roof might need a reseal, on the other hand it hasn't been in the sun either.
It's a 2003, but I wouldn't want someone drive a long way and be disappointed.
Okay, two votes for "as is, full disclosure".
Old 06-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Add another vote for an "as is" sale and full disclosure. The only problem is you get people who have never had an RV so if you try to explain that stuff tends to go wrong with them a lot you might talk them out of a sale! In my experience ALL RV's leak and things break more often than with a house. I put this down to extreme temperature changes and movement when rolling down the road on top of sometimes poor workmanship and choice of materials. Hopefully you sell it to somebody who is seasoned! Why not activate the insurance and go camping with a for sale sign in the window? Test the systems and you might find a buyer while at a park or resort.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #6
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I concur with ijustlee, I would get everything in the insurance updated and actually take it out on a short trip with the FOR SALE signs visible and your number. You will get lots of free advertising and be able to say to buyers that as of this date all systems were in fact working and then, buyer takes as is. That's what I would do and have done in the past and it has worked well for me.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
If you have a trusted repair shop, have them do a PDI (pre delivery inspection) and get a written list of items needing attention and cost. I did this on a motor home I was interested in prior to purchase. It cost $250, but gave me a detailed list of everything from the roof to the motor and all appliances. Well worth the $250.
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
If you sell it "as is" you will take a beating on the price, simply because any intelligent buyer will think that there are a lot of problems with the unit and you don't want to repair them. If you can show a buyer that everything works, that there are no leaks, and have a shop work order to show that everything is in good condition, you can ask top dollar. It will cost you money to do all of the above, but in the end "should" pay off! Good luck!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I have sold a few RVs in my time and I always sold them "as is". I was always upfront and honest as I pointed all known problems. I may have left money on the table by not addressing every shortcoming on the rig, but I figure that is what buying used is all about. One should not expect a perfect rig. If you want perfect, buy new! (Ha ha!)
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
If you sell it "as is" you will take a beating on the price, simply because any intelligent buyer will think that there are a lot of problems with the unit and you don't want to repair them. If you can show a buyer that everything works, that there are no leaks, and have a shop work order to show that everything is in good condition, you can ask top dollar. It will cost you money to do all of the above, but in the end "should" pay off! Good luck!
That's the dilemma, If I give the buyer a choice with, as is, he may think I know something is seriously wrong. I think I scared off one buyer by being honest.
So, I have someone coming in two days. If he doesn't buy it, I'm taking it to a dealer nearby and getting everything checked out and fixed, ready for the road. In that case, trading it in to a dealer is off the table because a dealer is only interested in auction price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdfred View Post
If you have a trusted repair shop,
In Florida? I can't think of any.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
I would want to see your shop's inspection report and estimates on repairs. I would then ask to take it to my choice of shops (and pay for inspection). From those two sources, I would be able to make you an offer. If you did nothing but put AS IS sign on it and I found air didn't work - without that inspection report - I would assume there was a lot more I didn't know about it and walk away.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Don't spend any money on it. Sell it licensed for the road, but otherwise as-is, where-is, without warranty as to mechantability or fitness of purpose. Ask what you will actually demand for it plus 15% for "bargaining" purposes.

That's what I'd do.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
In my prior business over several decades, I sold lots of used homes & used vehicles. Typically, I would have them inspected to give me an independent opinion of their current condition & what each needed to make it safe to use for its intended purpose. I would then spend the money to correct any safety defects and then list it for sale. Fortunately, I never had buyer come back at me alleging a wrongful sale. The item for sale worked safely as intended --- it was typically not in as good a condition as it could have been with more time & effort & expense. Who knows what more or less I could have made on each sale, but to me, putting the time and money into the deal to make it safe for a buyer maximized its potential at minimal cost.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Looking for advice.
I currently own a nice motorhome that's been sitting for 5 years under cover. It runs fine, just has 37K miles on the diesel and looks great.
I was going to trade it on a new Airstream, but the dealer is not giving me anywhere near what it's worth.
So, I've posted it for sale and have had moderate interest.
Here's my dilemma, Since it's been sitting, I don't want to take someone's money and have them disappointed when something needs repair.
Should I tell prospective buyers that I'll be glad to get it serviced and everything checked, OR discount the price and let them use the savings to fix things themselves.
For instance, the dash air doesn't blow cold. I'm sure a dealer will charge me $2000. Or I could tell the buyer, "I'll take $5000 off and you can address any issues you need to."
So far everything I tried worked, but I haven't put the jacks down or run the fridge on propane, or tried the water pump. I'd rather go to a repair place, make a list, and let them check it over. On the other hand, I don't want to spend thousands if I end up trading it and getting nothing.

What would you do?
U put it up for sale AS IS. That way U R not responsible for anything that is wrong. Let them know it sat for five years and the engine runs. Who ever can make U a bid. Remember AS IS means any thing that is wrong is not ur problem.
rmatkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:04 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you want to be sure everything works, insure it, and take it camping with "For Sale" signs in the windows. You'll be able to make sure everything works, what doesn't work, get to enjoy the motor home once more, and get a little advertising, as well.
Then, you can tell everybody, "Everything worked last weekend when we went camping in it".
Old 06-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatkovich View Post
U put it up for sale AS IS. That way U R not responsible for anything that is wrong. Let them know it sat for five years and the engine runs. Who ever can make U a bid. Remember AS IS means any thing that is wrong is not ur problem.
Not necessarily.... If you know of an issue and not disclose it the new owner can come back at your for it.
Likewise, if you have it inspected as the previous msg suggests....and that inspector misses something... you might also have inadvertently incorporated his error into a claim that "you either knew, or should have known" of the deficiencies.

Selling it "without warranty as to condition, merchantability, or fitness of purpose" is pretty clear language, IMO, and is commonly used in the aircraft-sales business....a fairly liability-prone business where pre-sales inspections are commonly argued later in court unless that phrase is in the sales agreement. Buyer's remorse can always be an issue unless "as is, where is" is clearly understood to include fitness-of-purpose. (I am not a lawyer....heh-heh...)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote