Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2020, 12:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Las Vegas , Nevada
We made a mistake

So we bought a 2020 Globetrotter 30ft in December... without looking at the 33ft Classic. Big mistake! As “younger” first time campers... we were drawn to the Globetrotter for it’s esthetics, not thinking to much the creature comforts that we would crave.

Ie: high back sofa, full size dinette table, large shower.

Now here’s the real dilemma... because the 30’ Globetrotter is a new model, our local dealership is finding it difficult to provide a trade in value. I know we are going to take a hit but find it hard to believe that a trailer that has been used twice can only be valued at 85k.

Had anyone else been in this situation? We want to correct our mistake as economically as possible.

Thanks
30Globe2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Crewe , Virginia
Can't say I have ever been in that type of situation where a new camper is not good enough as bigger new camper. Regardless of "younger" vs. "older", If you are used to sleeping on the ground in a tent or ever been in a tent when inclement weather hits, it doesn't sound like the camper you bought by mistake sounds so bad.
Dspchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Doesn't matter whether you used it twice, 100 times, or not at all...it is now pre-owned/used. Think of the next buyers, they are not going to care how many times it was used, only how it looks and they will expect a big discount off of new so the dealer drops his price to you even more.
Just like cars and boats, your best option for price is to sell it privately. Your easiest option is to just trade it to your dealer...or keep it.
These things are amazing. I know people who traded an almost new 23 for a 25, which I hear happens a lot. I know people who traded an almost new Queen for a Twin because they didn't like the storage. I guess if you have the money to burn, it is yours to spend any way you want to.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Already trading up

Best way to take the least financial bath is to sell your GT yourself. Advertise it on Airforums Classifieds and RV Trader (pay for the Premium ad that runs until it sells and submit quality photos) at a "Reasonable" price and you should be able to get away with a minimal $$$$ loss. It is still going to be painful. Your not going to get what you paid for it but it will be more than the "Steal the Trade" price from the dealer. Yes, that is what they call it. Stealing the trade.

Then, and only then, after selling your GT start looking for a lightly used 33 Classic. Somewhere out there is someone that bought a 33' AS that wants to part with it for whatever reason. You may be able, with a bit of patience and hard work, find that perfect seller looking to unload there 33 Classic.. Best of luck to you.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Perhaps for a similar cost, instead of switching trailers, you could update the Globetrotter (or have it updated) to be just what you want. I would advise using it as is for a while longer so you really understand the changes you'd want to make. Assuming you could live with the shower, since that would be much harder to update.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Globe2020 View Post
So we bought a 2020 Globetrotter 30ft in December... without looking at the 33ft Classic. Big mistake! As “younger” first time campers... we were drawn to the Globetrotter for it’s esthetics, not thinking to much the creature comforts that we would crave.

Ie: high back sofa, full size dinette table, large shower.

Now here’s the real dilemma... because the 30’ Globetrotter is a new model, our local dealership is finding it difficult to provide a trade in value. I know we are going to take a hit but find it hard to believe that a trailer that has been used twice can only be valued at 85k.

Had anyone else been in this situation? We want to correct our mistake as economically as possible.

Thanks
I looked at your first post on Air Forums and the indication was you were quite enamored with the trailer you bought. In that post you indicated several features that pleased you about the trailer. Have those things changed in some appreciable manner?

I understand that with time you begin to understand the nuances of a trailer and to some extent the "new" wears off. Look deep down, think of the things that made you buy the trailer initially, do those things remain true? Of the things that make you second guess your decision to purchase a Globetrotter, will the 33' Classic really change that? Other than the much larger bathroom in the 33' it's difficult for me to imagine much improvement from your trailer to the Classic. Think about how you plan to use the trailer. I see the Classic as a two-person trailer. Granted many Airstreams are only suitable to two adults but is the Globetrotter less suited to your situation?

The Classic comes with it's own set of issues/features. You may get some benefit out of the features - only you will know that. But don't trade one impulsive decision and its perceived shortcomings for another without thorough evaluation.

If you decide to trade up, the dollar value hit will not be insignificant no matter how you proceed. Selling yours on the secondary market and buying a used 33' Classic may be one answer. Just like you wanting to sell a 30' Globetrotter there will likely be a person selling a good, used 33' Classic.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Seems to me if you do a trade at a dealer the dealer is going to make 3 profits on the deal. The first one on the first sale (which he already has), the profit on the second trailer, and the profit on the resale of the trade it. That is going to come to a good sum of money. Then add in the depreciation on the trailer. RV business is good now so I do not expect a dealer to give up anything he can make on a new trailer sale. A private sale of the Globetrotter might get a little back if you can deal with it. But...it will be a long, strung out deal with no guarantee you can buy what you want after you sell the Globetrotter.

And no, I have no idea what a lightly used new model Globetrotter is worth. Less than the dealer is going to offer since he has tie up the money in it and then resell it.

Sometimes we live with our "mistakes". You do have a very nice trailer.

"Do not let perfect be the enemy of good."
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I noticed that Airstream wants about $122K for a 30' Globetrotter and $172K for a 33' classic. If you're getting back just $85K for your newish Globetrotter that's an expensive upgrade, almost $30k per foot.

If this is a cash deal, and you're able to afford it, then go for it, its your money. But if this is on credit my opinion is to skip the change. You already have a really nice camper, better than most.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Nothing in the classic compared to your gt is worth that loss of cash. As someone else said, modify/upgrade the couple things that bother you. Can’t be more than a few thousand to do that.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Interesting first world problem in these times.... It would appear funding is not an issue so do what you want and suck up any financial losses then apply those to lessons learned that you paid for.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
How much time does anyone actually spend IN the bathroom on a daily basis? If I had a 33 ft Classic, I'd probably resent having that much space wasted on the huge shower and throne. Gimme storage for food, clothing and tools! When you find a campground with great showers, use them.

Fix the other stuff - perhaps nice recliners in place of your couch? Try using a plain old card table in place of your smaller dinette table and if the size really works better, go for a renovation (or if the portability of the card table works stay with it).
Old 06-09-2020, 08:00 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
17yrs of using our Classic's 'small' shower I've never taken a real shower in it. More like get wet, sud's up and rinse off.🥴

Disclaimer...we rarely use 'hook-up's, water frugality is not conducive to a Glamping shower.

Use what you have until the warrantee runs out and then decide.

As Horace said...“Time will bring to light whatever is hidden; it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor. “

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Oh yes, and if only a Classic 33 will do, shop for a gently used classic 33. And put the Globetrotter up for sale privately. Someone has bought a 33, then broke a hip or worse 3 months later.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
The dealer has to sell your old unit and make a profit. Check if you get the trade value deducted from the taxable amount. At least that is a bit of savings..
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Is 85,000 what they are offering as a trade in or what they say it will retail for?
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Airstream is making 50 units per week. Large dealers like in Florida can't get inventory during this RV boom time. It may be a blessing in disguise for you to get top dollar on your unit.

The only downside is the name you have chosen for this forum!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Vonore , Tennessee
change?

As owner of 30 classic, I'll say this. The sofa with fancy USB connectors and recline features is not worth it. It reclines a few inches, there is no support for your upper body unless you slouch into it, etc. We have replaced ours with reclining chairs and a table so we could be comfortable to a tune of additional 1000's.

I agree with others. Try to fix what you have. It's all smoke and mirrors.
Laurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:03 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Really, are you going to be able to be satisfied with your GT? Are you going to be able to let go of not have that 33? Are you going to hate it Every time you are in it? Can you put aside the 33 for a while and make it a bucket list? If you can’t resolve yourself to be happy with your GT spend your money it is yours to burn but realize you will not get validation from others. We all have our own opinion. Trailers like cars loose their value the minutes it drives off the lot. What if you have warranty issues with the 33? Will you be willing to work through all those issues?
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:05 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
I think one thing that is better about the Classic that is a step up is the heat and hot water system. The Alde is my favorite part of my Classic. I own a 30’ one, but would not trade up to the 33’ because the bathroom is located across the living area from the bedroom. There is little to no open floor space that the 30’ gives you. The bathroom at the other end of the trailer makes it truly a 2 person trailer because you would have to pass through others’ sleeping area to get to bathroom. This is not an issue with the mid bsth floor plan where both ends can be used privately. Just my two cents!
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #20
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Shower? OH! that's what that is. I thought it was a dog bed - duh - live and learn.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote