Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
We have to sell; advice?

As many of you know I've been on the forums being guided by you wonderful folks in our '67 rehab for almost ten years now. Well, hubby became quite sick and is on disability indefinitely, but probably not forever. Still we won't be able to finish our sweetheart for a matter of years, and with the scare we just had with his health, we switched our priorities around right quick. No more waiting for leisure activities. We've decided to sell the Airstream and buy something that can be used right away, probably a pop-up tent trailer.

The problem is that the trailer is off the frame, up on sawhorses in our driveway.

My question is, MUST we get the shell back on, with belly pan, plumbing, floor in, to sell it? Could we just get the shell on the floor? We actually have the floor cut and sealed, waiting in our yard on sawhorses too. Jeff's unable to do it in his condition.

Thanks for any advice. Or takers, suggestions, references, creative ideas...

Pictures to come.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Sorry to hear of your husband's problems, and hopefully he is back on his feet soon.

It's my belief that if you are to sell the trailer, you will severely limit your market if the trailer cannot be towed away. It's possible you could sell, yes, but a lot less likely that it will sell for a good price.

This leaves you in a quandary, I know, because you have no resource to stitch them together. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You need a handyman-party, with some local Airstreamers showing up to help you

You might be able to get someone to buy it, but they won't be able to move it until it is reassembled. You will lose a lot of value, and need to find a very specific person who won't mind putting it back together enough to take home. Pretty tricky.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Sorry to hear about the health scare--hope y'all are able to get active again soon!

Sounds like a dilemma with the disassembled trailer. I agree, that you will find the maximum potential buyers the more reassembled you can make the trailer, but I would suggest a few options to start with:

1) Leave disassembled, and try to sell "As-is, where is" via the Airforums classified ads. At least this way, many of the folks who look at the ad will know what it takes to get it together, and what it is worth dis-assembled as it is.

2) If you get no takers/ interest from the above, try a local Craigslist ad and see if there are any adventurous locals willing to give it a go.

3) Contact some of the professional restorers in your local geography and see if they would be interested in the project.

As far as price goes, I guess if I was in your place, I would like to at least break even on the materials I had into it (assuming all the labor is free), but at worst, it would be nice to know that whoever takes it is going to complete the project, and not just sell it for scrap.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Tradewind

Ingrid, Very sorry to hear of Jeff's health issue! If I were close enough I'd help get it ready to sell for you guys. You might be able to list all new parts/frame/axles/glass etc. and get someone to purchase it "AS-Is". The real problem with that is moving the separate Shell/Frame/Floor pieces without doing any damage. I too am sure that if you can find a buyer with the trailer dis-assembled like this they will want to get a real deal on it and that may not cover what you guys have spent on your restoration. I wish you only the best of luck it getting some help to get the floor and shell back on the frame or selling it as it is. Please stay in touch and let us know how this works out for you. Hope Jeff gets better very soon and you all can go camping together even without your "Dream Stream". Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Yeah this really sucks. Is it towable with just the floor on and the shell attached?

ingrid
Old 10-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Thanks Ed, you are a gem.

I think we could get some of Jeff's helper elves to get it at least onto the floor. Hopefully it's towable that way. We do want to at least get the price of the stuff we put on or purchased; new axles and wheels, tanks. If it can be towed, I think we can have some success. Oh and remember I replaced all those cursed Corning windows, and they work and don't leak!

The idea of not traveling very soon breaks my heart more than selling her. It wasn't too much when we bought her; but it's definitely too much now.

ingrid
Old 10-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
And...there are other Airstreams out there for us. If we can and choose to, we can still be wrapped in aluminum.

ingrid
Old 10-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Re: Towing

Ingrid, If the interior is still braced after the shell is back on the Frame/Floor and they are careful (slow) towing it I think it could be done. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Yes, with the shell attached to the floor, I don't see any reason it couldn't be towed, especially with good axles, windows installed, etc. Luckily it shouldn't be too big a job if you already have the floor pieces ready to go.

I hope you get your money back out of it, and get something you can start enjoying right away. Best of health to both of you!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I would say "yes." My trailer is currently an "aluminum tent," with repaired frame, new subfloor installed, and the shell installed on top of that. I do have the bellypan on, but I doubt if it makes any difference. I do not have any interior skins in place, furnishings, or insulation in the walls. I towed it 200 miles this weekend, and it worked just fine like that. There are folks who opine that the interior skins help offer some support/rigidity, but I think with the sparse pop rivets holding them in place, it has to be minimal.

If your trailer frame can be towed, that is at least a start. It would be nice if you could find a buyer who is willing to tow away the frame, and then come back with a flat-bed for the shell and accessories.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Hmmm, well these answers are hopeful. If it can be towed with the floor, that means we could get some helpers of Jeff's to put on the floor, drop the shell on (way hard, I know, but I saw it done at the Restoration Rally and all it takes is about 6 - 8 people, frustration, determination and some anger to put it on).

I've been mentally preparing to let her go for a year or two now. If we take whatever we get out of the AS sale and buy something camp-able with beds we can handle, we are on the road. The guy hasn't gone fishing in 15 years. He came very close to having a stroke, the doc said. Not acceptable.

ingrid
Old 10-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Link to pictures of our trailer

AirstreamCurrentState10_13 Photos by pinkflamingoes1 | Photobucket

ingrid