Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
It's over. No more valuation required

Well, it's not any one of the Sovereign models that we were looking at. We were scouring the 'net for Airstreams close to us and we happened upon one that we'd never seen before. We figured sure it was sold, but nevertheless we emailed about it. After some correspondence, we had an address and were on our way. It is an Overlander rather than a Sovereign, but we can deal with the slightly smaller layout. Within minutes of seeing the trailer, we knew. It felt right, the price was insanely low, all was good. New tires, perfect awning, window awnings, interior upgrades that were already in line with what we were discussing about doing to whatever trailer we bought. After looking around in and out and having a thorough tour by the owner, we were hooked. Down payment came out, camper is bought. We still have to go back and tow it home, but the deed is done. Just gotta find time to take 1/2 a day off of work. I even got a weight distribution and sway control hitch with the camper! Life is great. We can start camping right away. Only thing that I could find bad is that PERHAPS the axles will need replaced. But, the brakes are new so if we need axles then it's only the cost of bare axles and shipping. I guess it's time to find the local chapter of the WBCCI. Airstreamers...look out...you got a new family in the group.

Attachment 75870
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
CONGRATS~!!
I just looked your photo over and, I agree with your assessment..
The axles, they don't look that bad..Give em a couple more years..
Sweet looking gear..Enjoy~
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
Well, it's not any one of the Sovereign models that we were looking at. We were scouring the 'net for Airstreams close to us and we happened upon one that we'd never seen before. We figured sure it was sold, but nevertheless we emailed about it. After some correspondence, we had an address and were on our way. It is an Overlander rather than a Sovereign, but we can deal with the slightly smaller layout. Within minutes of seeing the trailer, we knew. It felt right, the price was insanely low, all was good. New tires, perfect awning, window awnings, interior upgrades that were already in line with what we were discussing about doing to whatever trailer we bought. After looking around in and out and having a thorough tour by the owner, we were hooked. Down payment came out, camper is bought. We still have to go back and tow it home, but the deed is done. Just gotta find time to take 1/2 a day off of work. I even got a weight distribution and sway control hitch with the camper! Life is great. We can start camping right away. Only thing that I could find bad is that PERHAPS the axles will need replaced. But, the brakes are new so if we need axles then it's only the cost of bare axles and shipping. I guess it's time to find the local chapter of the WBCCI. Airstreamers...look out...you got a new family in the group.

Attachment 75870

Another test is to jack up one side of the trailer. The tires should drop about 3 inches. If not, then the rubber rods have solidified, which creates a harsch ride for the trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:47 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
K guys...I have a 'rear bath' in my '74 Sovereign....I have been over so many ideas and floorplans as I really wanted to have a bedroom in the rear...I just don't think I can do it...I have so many other big expenses to consider such as a heater, a water heater, an air conditioner, a stove, possibly 'new' black and grey water tanks as well as trying to refurbish my whole interior---uugghhhh----Now I am terrified about my axles!! I will be posting pics hopefully by this week.....Just to let you know what might be a hinderence---our hospital has gone bankrupt so I may be out of a job!!! Terrible to think about it, but I will survive....I plan on trying to scrunge for every bit of old lumber, ect, that I can find to refurbish my beloved AS.....I will post pics as soon as possible...
Old 02-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

This looks like a decent unit. I have a 72 Overlander, and it's very similar. As was stated before, make sure all the appliances work and this includes the heater. There was a heater recall, but I can't remember the years. It's worth checking.

If it's been in storage in a barn for a while check for mouse infestation (under sink and bath areas and side storage and behind reefer) and treat it carefully if you find evidence of this. This is not trivial, and it's not a deal breaker - but it is a good negotiation point. A REALLY good cleaning and disinfection is always in order, you just have to be a bit more careful.
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
did you go to vinatageairstream.com and ck on values.
If you have a dealer do the work $$$$$$$$$$$$$
good luck!
gail is offline   Reply With Quote