Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSporks View Post
We bought a used 2011 Flying Cloud from a dealer ...
I would say your complaint should be with the dealer, and that you should concentrate on that. The Factory could assist you, but honestly if I were them, I'd want the resolution to be between you and the dealer. They had nothing to do with the deal and probably don't feel it their business to step in.

Quote:
To make a long story short, our sales contract included replacing some of the furniture within the trailer. What we got from Airstream (after the order was delayed for months and included the wrong fabric on the first try and the wrong finish on the second), seems to be far below the quality of what goes in new trailers and is not in line with the expectations we had as part of the sales contract.
You could be right, we don't see what was provided so we can't judge, however you recourse is to demand what was spelled out in the contract. Was Ultraleather spec'd and cloth provided? Or was the correct material provided, not just to your expectations, and if so were your expectations clear in the contract? As for delays and the wrong initial product shipments, it sounds as if they acknowledged the wrong materials, then corrected it to what they thought they were obligated to provide. Again, what exactly was spelled out in the contract? We're you shown samples and alternatives were provided? Keep in mind, Airstream is back under considerable demand after the recession, or at least that's my take. They are challenged with meeting production, they are growing. Delays I would think would be understandable. If you feel otherwise, I would ask if specific timelines were guaranteed in the contract and not met?.

Good luck and I hope it goes well for you. Just keep a level head and work with the dealer.

I for one don't feel you are out of line with your postings, I thought that helping folks was the point of the forum, and hope you find help here.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Steve, Great response, and while I have never met Dave, from his different posts here and involvement in the 'Blue Beret' I think TwoSporks has a great opportunity to either get their issues resolved, or at least a clear explanation as to why something can't be done.

I have been fortunate that up to now all of our issues have been minor, and I have 'whined' about them. I have even apologized before whining, in part because I paid a lot of $$ and had expectations that the issues I had shouldn't have happened.

I have also found that regardless of the product and its issues, the outcome was usually better if I stuck to the facts, presented them in detail, and in order, and left my emotions out of the discussion. This is hard, at least for me. During these type of discussions I have to remind myself that it is more important getting what's broken fixed than proving who is wrong.

And a big BZ (Bravo Zulu) or Kudo's to Schu!!!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I have had the same experience and I spoke with Chris Burch. He ignored emails and there was never a resolution to a very serious quality issue.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Well - this is a bit loaded.

It's impossible to know the details of every situation and we are only hearing portions of your view. How can anyone help? I've suggested you could post the last remaining problem you're dealing with and see if folks here could offer suggestions. Why don't you try that and get off to a different start? Just a suggestion - you can do with that what you like.

In the meantime - you've had Dave from Airstream respond in this file with both an apology for your experience and a phone number. That's WAY more than I think a person should expect from the factory on a used sale.

The rules of this forum are also posted for all to see and like it or not - this isn't a forum for complaints about dealers, companies or people. Just follow the rules.

Last - the sarcastic comment about the warm welcome can't assist in helping create empathy for your situation - rather, it could unfortunately (for some) confirm the perception to which you're reacting negatively.

It may be of the most value for you to talk with Dave and see what you can figure out and think about a re-entry approach to the forum that gets you off on a better foot? I'm sure folks here would love to help - they've certainly done that for me. Good luck!
Airstream as well as most of it's dealers, actually enjoy helping owners, or at least trying.

But Airstream, as well as it's dealers, are run by humans.

When a customer, up front, starts raising devil and complains that everyone involved so far, has treated them with little or no respect, then that person will almost always find that help is going to be a looooong way away, because of their attitude.

Did they display any respect?? Usually heck no, WHY, they are the consumer.

Consumers have many rights, but they do not have the right to raise hell with someone and expect help in return, especially when their product is used.

I have been with the Airstream programs, lacking a very few months, for 50 (fifty) years. From day one, I can honestly say, that Airstream cannot satisfy everyone, but they certainly, without exception, have tried very hard to do so. The problem is that some owners cannot ever be satisfied nor do they want to listen to reality.

I have know Dave Schumann for many years. Is he perfect? Heck no. But, who really is perfect? Dave tries to please, but some owners won't accept that without their bad mouthing. Airstream has owners all over the world, different cultures, different languages, but they still hang in there and try to please, at least as long as the owner strives to be nice and reasonable.

Many companies only wish that they could be as good as Airstream's customer service. Are they perfect? NO!!! But, they really really try. Unwilling employees that have contact with customers, don't last very long, "UNLESS" they have a positive attitude, be it sales, service, warranty, parts and their store, in fact many that have zero contact with customers, like in production.

Airstream has never made claims to be perfect. For that matter, not even good. Time has more than proved that Airstream, from top to bottom, is "damn good". However, unfortunately, that to a few, is not good enough.

Most all Airstream owners, are "happy campers".

For the few that are not, most likely they are never happy with anything.

Andy
Old 12-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #25

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
The whole idea that this topic is considered off-limits or negative or whining is really surprising to me.
Sincere thanks for those of you who offered helpful and relevant advice to my question. Dave, thank you for reaching out. I will be in touch in a day or so with some more information about our situation.
Just to clarify to those who are new, we do not allow the forum to be a repository of customer complaints about specific vendors or dealers because typically only one side of the issue is presented. In these days of the Internet, there is a liability that could be exposed if the information presented is slanderous or causes harm to a business or individual.

Granted there are some bad folks out there but based on our community rules, this is not the place to expose or call out these individuals. This thread has been allowed since the original poster did not name the dealer or provide specific information which would make the dealer's name obvious. We appreciate that discretion.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
Old 12-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #26

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
My name is Dave Schumann and work in Airstream Customer Service.I do not the details as of yet but would like to hear more and want to apologize for your experience. You can reach me at 937 596 6111 my ext. is 7327

We may not always be able to satisfy every expectation,but the is where we aim.

This is why I LOVE our Airstream. We may have had some issues with this or that but Airstream is a great company to deal with. The outcome may not always be to our liking but they really do try to help and resolve issues. As for the problem at hand it does sound like a dealer issue and most likely with have to be resolved with the dealer. Dave is a great guy to take the time to respond on a Sunday no less. Good luck with your repairs and I hope you can get out and enjoy your new to you Airstream!
Closed Thread