Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Florida
Talk me out of it.

Good afternoon. I've been shopping for about 2 months now. I started wanting a 22 sport and after discussion I decided on a new tow vehicle and something larger. Now I'm looking at 25 or 27 foot. It will more less be my work home for the next couple years.

Looking a prices has made me consider a normal travel trailer like this one:
http://www.dixierv.com/2017-grand-de...er-la-i1915208

At $30k I can't get near a new trailer unfortunately. So I'm looking at early 2000s 27fbs. I really want and airstream and to be part of the community but it's really hard for me to pull the trigger.

Has anyone really had this debate with themselves or said to themselves "Self, I love my airstream I just wouldn't ever want to live in it long term"??
Usnroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I have to laugh because I have had the same thoughts though a different situation. First, I believe your decision to go bigger for living in it for two years is wise. Most peeps would struggle living in a 22' model- not to say that some don't but that the smaller you go the more you sacrifice. The added four feet of a 25 or six feet of a 27 make a big difference.

I started wanting a Winnebago View 24' motorhome. Then after shopping used and seeing them trashed BUT still being sold for more than half of the new price I started rethinking it all. I read about Airstreams, visited the dealer a few hours away twice, went to two RV shows that year and ended up buying a used 25' model that I am very happy with.

Talk you out of it? Well, just be ready to add to the cost. You are really taking on a hobby more than just a temporary home. You have to be handy to a degree. I know that my salesman told me in 2012, "add about $5K to this one in updates, etc and you will sell it for what you paid in a few years." Well, on this forum you learn about camping gear, wheels and tires, hitches, and all sorts of updates (bought them all!) to the point that you now have a palace on wheels and a nice stack of receipts that are evidence of your devotion to your hobby.

Decide what your purpose is for buying it. You may start out as a full-time temp and end up a traveler extraodinaire. Does it seem a good financial move? As a hobby it isn't but interests outweigh loss most often. If you plan on living in it and that is it, for two years, you might look another direction too. The SOB you shared is nice as it is extended season so better insulated hopefully.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Talking you out of it . . .

[the sounds of silence]

Go for it!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The only reason we went with Airstream was because we wanted to keep it for 20 years. If I had plans to live in it or change it in 5 years, I would have gone with something else. I could have bought two brand new Rockwood V Series trailers for the price of my used Airstream. But I doubt those Rockwoods would have lasted me 10 years a piece.

Airstreams are well built and built for travel. They are not everyone's cup of tea. Good luck with your decision.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
If you want to be talked out of it I think you are on the wrong forum!

I had SOB and enjoyed it but always had an AS in the back of my mind as the pinnacle of travel trailers (a point of contention for some). So when the planets were aligned I bought our AS. Originally I was planning on a new one but I could not get what I wanted. So I patiently kept looking for a used one that had what I wanted. I took about 6 months but finally found it.

An AS will require some TLC but it will last a really long time if cared for. If you buy a used one at the right price, are a little handy (and willing) to keep it in good repair, it will hold it's value relatively well. That cannot be said about some of the other brands of travel trailers.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
We started with a used 25. After 3 years moved up to 28. We don't full time but are about to retire and increase our travels. We really like the extra room.

Think about how you will live in it. Where you will put everything. Where you will work.

If you have the money personally I think you will appreciate the larger AS.

Have fun and be SAFE!
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #7
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
It occasionally crosses my mind that my AS cost 3x a SOB. Looking at the Grand Design website...looks like an interesting company and travel trailer. The 4 season specs likely results in cooler temps in the summer and warmer in the winter. The way an AS heats up in the sun is one of its drawbacks. You'll need to think of what you want the trailer to do for you, and at what cost. Then make the best decision for you. Best of luck.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:52 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Florida
Thank you guys for your advice. I really am no closer to a decision as I write this but certainly look forward to seeing you all out there!
Usnroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Airstreams hold their value over time the best IMO, especially if you can pick up a good used one. We had our 25' in the 90's for about 7 years, and she cost us about $700 per year (purchase price less sale price, divided by 7 -- a basic overview).

This seems like a pretty reasonable way to travel 12,000 miles and see the US!

Good luck and hope to see you on the road . . .

PS -- Welcome to the forum!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:45 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
We started looking at 23' and them moved to 25' because of the extra seating space by the dinette. The we settled on the 27' because of the better orientation of the QB, extra storage and advise from this forum. We looked at other brands but nothing matches the clean style and design of the airstream so we pulled the trigger on on a very lightly used 27' FC FB, even though it cost much more than competitors. Out 27' airstream tows just as easy as our previous 18' by SOB.
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #11
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
If you have the financial ability, go for it. It's an AirStream, enough said.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
I would add a yet different view, as I am going to buy a 25 Flying Cloud, bed in back, as the floorplan fits the permanent site chosen for my Washington State retirement as a single male, using a motorhome for travel. Maybe I can get some living and caring for the AS advices. One reason is maintaining value as others suggest. Other views?
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #13
Classy Roscoe

Talking Usnroberts,

There is an equation that will answer the question of being talked out of obtaining an Airstream, for you. Takes all the quess work out.

Take your age as of today and compair it to your life expecency.

If there is more distance between your age and the cradle than the distance to the grave, BUY THE AIRSTREAM.

Happy Trails.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:03 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
If it were going onto a permanent site. I would choose a modular home or cabin more suited to real living. I think trailers were meant to travel and aren't the best choice to be parked for decades.

Plus a simple cost comparison may show an Airstream is the weaker choice for this situation.

Just my humble opinion...
Bill Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
I thought I wanted a vintage airstream, but after much research, a lot of it on this site. Decided to look for an Avion. Found a 30' 1986 and have been very happy with it. Over 250 nights in less than 3 years! Not full time, but I guess we could say long timers.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
There are a few factors that might need consideration in answering your query. Are you single or will two people occupy the trailer? Do you have any pets? Do you have hobbies that require space? I, for instance, play an upright acoustic bass that would not have a home in an Airstream. Will you be towing regularly? If not, where will you be based? Florida winters work fine for an Airstream, but not much north of KY, IMHO.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
DON'T do it!

Talk you out of it...ok
What your about to read is ONLY just my opinion

It is my opinion they (Airstreams) are over priced, new or used
Are they built better mmmmmm NO!
Airstream does not make the, stove, Air-conditioner, furnace, hot water heater, refrigerator / freezer, or microwave! They do not make the axels
I personally have had to get on top of my camper trailer (some other brand) and my Airstream motorhome... Flat roofs are great, especially for A/C repair the airstream roof scares me whenever I need to go up there.
The round roof robs you of much needed space on the interior,
People here are right, your going to need to be handy, oh ya and the parts are just as overpriced as the tin can you'll be putting them on.
Speaking of the tin can...
Ya ever notice you NEVER see a soda can with riveted seams? Ya know why? They Would leak like sieve!
I know I'm getting older but more then once I've been woke up to a wet bed, and no it wasn't me! Ever been up on a round wet slippery aluminum roof?
And probably the most important thing... Look at the floor plans for streams and other brands... I think (again ONLY my opinion) if someone put just the floor plans, of three different brands in front of you and asked you to honestly evaluate them and rank them in order I'd be willing to bet that no matter what the other brands were the Airstream wouldn't come first.
Keep in mind your going to loose 2-5% of the inner space, just do to the round roof
So why did I buy my airstream motor home... Because it was "Soooo cool" that's exactly the words the tow truck driver used as he hooked on to my riveted leaky can that sits on top of a 34 year old Chevy bread truck chassis.
But... At least I didn't buy new.
Sadly, I've seen posts on this forum of people who have paid $90,000.00 more then I have, and have similar problems, and the new motorhomes are on Mercedes chassis!
So do you want to be "cool"
Or do you want to be cool (like 10*f cooler) I may have neglected to mention what the sun does when it relentlessly beats down on that metal skin.
Airstream doesn't make the A/C unit, but they do make it work 10% harder)
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #18
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
You are starting out, go with sob, live simply for the two years save your money, then go for AS.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #19
BicycleStreamers

2016 28' Pendleton
Buxton , Oregon
Although we don't fulltime in our AS we has similar questions. For us it came down to design. I said, "even if it has to sit in the driveway it will still bring a smile to my face" and that's when I stopped wondering and worrying if I was making a bad decision and bought my original used '23 (since upgraded to a '27'). Good luck!
BicycleStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
As I mentioned earlier in this post. Look for a 4 season trailer.
A$'s in my opinion are 2 season rigs, spring and fall.
They do not do well in the winter. They do not do well when the temp gets much above 90f, especially if they are in the sun.
Since you are looking at a 2 year window. IMHO. You will be wasting a lot of money buying new or used.
You will lose 30% in the first 2 years if you buy new. That is roughly $30K on a coach that cost $90K new.
You will spend a boat load of money even if you buy used because no matter what you are told. There will be things that fail. Water heater, Air Conditioning and the furnace just to name a few. If you happen to buy a unit with hidden water damage, the repair cost could be enormous.
If you buy a quality 4 season SOB, unit which can be had anywhere from the lower $20K range to the upper $30K range new. Most if not all have at least a 1 year warranty.
Put your money in the bank or spend it enjoying life. Don't spend it all or go into debt just to say "you have an A$"
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote