Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Cumming , Georgia
Someone talk me out of this

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f534/1969-airstream-tradewind-207359.html

If the floor and shell are good, I can fool with the rest, right? Not sure what else to look for other than axle issues. Maybe I am over thinking it? Maybe it will be a mistake? Help!
orangekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Okay, I'll take you at your word.
It's been heavily modified, and God knows how the modifications were performed. The seller states it needs a lot of stuff to be ready to go, including a window and rockguard. 1969 is a one-off year, nothing on it will fit any other year without modifications, some extensive, and vice-versa.
The shell looks good, what condition is the floor in? You may end up having to pull out all of that modified stuff and replace the floor. It will almost certainly need new complete axles, and likely new tires, unless they were replaced in the last few years.

It has a replacement fridge, is it an RV type or household type? An RV fridge will easily top a grand in price.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:38 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Cumming , Georgia
Yeah I figured the axles would need replaced. If someone replaced the floor, one would assume they wouldn't spend money to put something new on top of rotted wood, but who knows.

I'm a bit concerned about the plumbing. Can I access the pipes without ripping out the cabinets etc to check for leaks?

Is it a fair price if the shell and floor is good?
Old 04-25-2020, 07:17 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
if the shell and floor and frame are good, its a fair price, but you will still need to invest a lot of money.....

If I were buying that Airstream, I would budget , at least 15,000 to finish it.....
and that is with you doing all the work.....if you start hiring out work the price of that will push you over the limit, imo.

Would be necessary to verify that the frame is not rotted out....

But even with a total investment of 27-30,000 you should be good to go, as it should be worth enough to get your money back....as long as you can find a buyer that is not a purist.....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:08 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Cumming , Georgia
Wow didn't expect I would need that much to finish it. What all is included in that cost?

If I was going to end up spending 30k I could find a newer one that needed a lot less work, right?
Old 04-25-2020, 09:26 AM   #6
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
A lot of if, ands & buts...run for the hills...lol
twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekayak View Post
Wow didn't expect I would need that much to finish it. What all is included in that cost?

If I was going to end up spending 30k I could find a newer one that needed a lot less work, right?
Well, that back window is North of $500, and figure the better part of $1200-1500 for axles. Tires are another $500-800, so you're already two grand into it just replacing a window and getting it ready to tow. Then, you'll need to replace all the exterior running lights, and a rock guard is another $700+. Now you're three grand into it, and you haven't found out if anything works in it.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
We liked the idea of refurbishing a vintage airstream so we bought a 1964 Overlander. Interior was in very bad shape - we pulled out the interior, replaced about 25% of the subfloor, rebuilt the interior, replaced all of the appliances...... It cost about $20 - 25K and took nearly 2 years. The final product is beautiful and we love it. But in hindsight, if we were looking for a trailer now, I would opt to buy one in working condition in the $25 - 30K range. We would have been on the road a lot sooner.

There will inevitably be more to do than you expect on the semi-ready to go trailer. Would you rather out camping or home working on your trailer?
riowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Cumming , Georgia
Well ya'll are doing a great job of talking me out of it. Feel like a kid again and my parents are hating on my girlfriend!

With all the work involved, what's a reasonable price you'd still feel like you weren't getting suckered into anything?
Old 04-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekayak View Post
Yeah I figured the axles would need replaced. If someone replaced the floor, one would assume they wouldn't spend money to put something new on top of rotted wood, but who knows.
Unfortunately, there are people who will not think twice about flipping what is known on this forum as a "polished turd". A "polished turd" is a trailer that has been cleaned up and made to look slick cosmetically at a minimal cost to the owner. A polished turd looks great but the subfloor is rotten and the frame is rusted out. A polished turd almost always needs axles, does not have a title, and is not safe to tow because the trailer lights don't work. I'm not saying that this particular trailer is a polished turd because I have not seen it in person. Just remember "buyer beware" and that there are people that put a lot of energy into ripping-off other people to make a buck.