Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Lakeland , Florida
Selling my airstream

I just posted my 1970 Overlander on the classified section and the first response was from someone wanting to buy it now with PayPal and send someone to pick it up. Obviously a scam but is this all I can expect?
CraigCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCam View Post
I just posted my 1970 Overlander on the classified section and the first response was from someone wanting to buy it now with PayPal and send someone to pick it up. Obviously a scam but is this all I can expect?
No, you can expect legitimate buyers as well.

I bought my first trailer from a Craigslist ad (that was local to where I lived, inspected it and did the transaction in person.) A 1975 Argosy 24' Twin.

I sold that trailer 2+ years ago via an add on Airstream Classifieds. My ad was only up for 3 days, but I did get one obvious scam "offer" in that time, and then a guy a hundred or so miles away wanted to come look at it on Sunday and bought it.

It's hard to balance between a public listing and exposure to the scum who prey upon public listings. Beware, be smart, if it smells funny avoid it.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
High Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCam View Post
is this all I can expect?

Have a little patience, the ads been up less than 24 hours. It's been my experience the scammers hit as soon as the ad goes up then things settle down.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Lakeland , Florida
Thanks. I hate scammers, if they would but this much effort into something legit, they probably would be successful.
CraigCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I sold my Airstream twice on the Forum classifieds. The first time only took less than a week, but after we gave the buyers every chance to back out while they were here (they had a virulent case of aluminitis), they called a couple of days later and cancelled despite the fact they had signed a contract to buy. Always get a deposit (we asked for $500 on a $40K purchase). I kept the deposit since they had wasted our time and they really needed a lesson in how to run a business (they were going to use it for a new business). Put that expressly in a contact to purchase since not all states allow you to keep the deposit without a specific statement in a contract (Colorado doesn't require that, but it is safer to/ do so). After another week, the contacts slowed down and I paid $100 for a better ad. People noticed again and in a few days I had two offers. I asked for a little more than I thought I could get, got what I wanted after negotiations, and required payment by bank wire.

As soon as the wire went through (this was an out of state buyer), I overnighted the title and registration to the buyer (Fed Ex is a lot more expensive these days). Doing it that way means your risk is much lower. Bank wires are very safe and you can talk to your bank about it if you've never done it. Most do not charge for a bank wire at your end. I don't know anything much about PayPal, but it seems that may have been an honest offer that looked a little questionable, I did get some obvious scam offers and just ignored them.

The whole sale thing took about two weeks to get a signed contract, a few days to get the wire, a week or so for the buyer to arrange to have it transported to Alabama. When we got the money, we bought a much cheaper trailer and had plenty left over.

On deal with much less money involved, they can bring cash and you can sign it over right away. If you are concerned, you can get something to check if the cash is legit. If they want to give you a check, insist you go to their bank and cash it there. Don't take a certified, teller's or similar check‚ they can be faked. Make sure you explain your terms for payment before they come to see it so that you have no issues with them.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote