Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2021, 06:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 20' Argosy 20
Georgetown , Texas
Sell it or keep it?

I purchased this 1975 20' Argosy about six years ago. It's probably a one of a kind Argosy as a previous owner replaced the Chevy 350 with a 12 valve Cummins turbo diesel coupled to an Allison A518 transmission with overdrive. I've done a lot to the Argosy over the years but think it might be time to sell it. My mechanic who has worked on the Argosy was murdered, and the new shop owner doesn't want to work on this older vehicle. I've searched for a reliable shop but haven't found anything. In addition, my wife finds moving about in the unit difficult. My problem is that I probably have around $35K in the Argosy and have no idea what the current market might support for a sale price. I'm hoping the forum can enlighten me so I have the information I need to decide whether or not to put it on the market.

The interior was the first thing I replaced. A local cabinet maker who does motorhome interiors did the cabinet work. A local shop specializing in vintage units went through all the systems and replaced the inverter and all the water lines with PEX.

My mechanic replaced the tach and speedometer with ISSPRO units which have worked great. A local a/c shop totally replaced the engine mounted a/c which has been working well and was recently serviced. In the past couple of years I have replaced the propane tank, roof mounted a/c, stove and fridge. Another mechanic replaced the instrument panel and switches and installed a rear view camera which I use as a rear view mirror. Just last month I replaced all six tires which are mounted on 16" aluminum rims.

The generator is an Onan 2800 running on gasoline which comes from a separate tank and has a capacity of about 10 gallons. The generator is relatively low time and was recently serviced. It will run the roof a/c or the microwave.

Now to the issues. When the a/c was serviced, the mechanic told me that the heat box was leaking. I haven't fixed it, so there's no working heater except for electric heat powered from the generator. I havent finished installing the tank monitoring probes on the fresh water, black water and grey water tanks. The PRNDL doesn't show the gear the transmission is in. I have to count the steps of the gear shift lever. The unit came with TracVision satellite TV system. Initially I could watch DirecTV on this system, but now that DirecTV has changed their transmission format, TracVision tells me my A-3 system is obsolete. The TV with built in DVD player still functions fine.

Please let me know what you think the market might support for a sales price. With your inputs I can then make a decision to keep it or sell it.

I have attached some photos of the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	403839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	403840  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	403841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0934.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	403842  

mirobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Arcadia , Oklahoma
Looks nice
WHUDS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Have you Googled your unit to see what others are selling for? You could also post in the motorhome section to see if anyone has an idea of its worth. Have you taken it to any RV dealerships and asked them to give you an appraisal? Tell them you aren't interested in a trade or purchase, you just want an appraisal.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 12:00 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 20' Argosy 20
Georgetown , Texas
Rich,

Appreciate your comments. I have been checking all of the sites for prices. They are all over the place. Obviously no one else has a Cummins Diesel powered 20’ Argosy, so it’s almost impossible to make an apples to apples comparison. Local RV dealer wasn’t much help either.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirobbi View Post
Rich,

Appreciate your comments. I have been checking all of the sites for prices. They are all over the place. Obviously no one else has a Cummins Diesel powered 20’ Argosy, so it’s almost impossible to make an apples to apples comparison. Local RV dealer wasn’t much help either.
Sorry to hear, but it is one of a kind. Maybe price it as high as the highest Argosy 20' you have found listed, add a few grand for good measure, then post it and see if you get any inquiries. You know what you want to get out of it, what it's worth to you. You can always come down in price.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirobbi View Post
Rich,

Hi

Ok, so pick a price that you think makes sense and list at that price. It certainly should not be below the lowest price you have found. I'd suggest it should not be above the highest.

The simple fact is that when you get to very unusual items, there really *is* no market price. There simply are not enough of them trading hands to establish one. It's always going to be a spot market. This buyer and that seller at the time both thought it made sense.

Does the drive train make it more or less valuable to this or that buyer ... who knows. There aren't thousands of folks shopping for an Argosy, even in this market. Still, there are enough that there is a price at which it will sell. The only way to know if that's "your price" is to try to sell it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
austin , Texas
Hi mirobbi, last year in Austin (about 30 miles south of Georgetown for the non-Texans) I went to an estate sale. There was a 1975 20' Argosy parked in the driveway like yours. I asked about it to the guy cleaning it. The estate sale was his parents and he was down from Dallas to help out. Both he and his parents bought a new Argosy in'75. He sold his parents' Argosy to one of their neighbors for $15,000. Maintained throughout the years with no engine or interior upgrades to his or his parents' units so it's pretty much stock. Great original condition for the interior and exterior (faded paint and some wear as to be expected). Don't know if this information helps or not. I'd be interested in your Argosy once you arrive at a price. ejami5@yahoo.com
ejami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:56 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
Argosy sale?

Price it high and then negotiate. I recently sold my 1966 Overlander and had 8 people waiting for the deal to fall through. Demand is high right now, especially for something ready to go with minor repairs. Good luck!
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Bad news first... there are no "comps" for your vehicle. The 20 is a rare bird, and the diesel makes it a unicorn (but that's also part of your good news).

The other bad news is it is VERY rare to get out of a vintage RV what you've put into it. That's just how the market on these goes. People drive vintage RV's because they love them (and are slightly imbalanced- LoL), and it is definitely a lifestyle, because it requires commitment.

That said, this is definitely a seller's market for RV's, and you have a VERY special vehicle.

Before covid a "decent" Argosy motorhome was $5-10k. These days it's a crap shoot. A rig that may have gotten $6k can now go for $15k. The interesting thing is how the current situation has mostly affected "projects," but not necessarily "complete" vehicles. The top end for a vintage RV is still about the same (a little more) than pre-covid.

It also depends how quickly you want to sell. Put it up for $15k and it'll be gone in a couple days. If you've got time, list it for $30k (and know you'll need to negotiate the actual sale), but be prepared to deal with a LOT of lookie-loo's and morons.

I got lucky and purchased a great Argosy 24 from my neighbor during Covid. I only paid $7k for a nearly road ready vehicle with a perfect original interior. I think the vehicle could have gone for $10k if we hadn't been neighbors. I got really lucky, so my situation isn't really indicative of "the market," but illustrates how all over the place things are.

If you are patient, it seems like you should be able to get 25 or 30 for your vehicle, but know that that is really high compared to pre-covid, so who knows what you'll experience.

With these older RV's, something that seems perfect and camp ready could easily be a $50k or more money pit in the blink of an eye. That's just how old stuff works! So a savvy buyer will be factoring that fact into what they are willing to spend on a vehicle built 45 years ago (engineered with a life expectancy of 10 years).

Best of luck! You have a REALLY cool coach (I wouldn't sell it if I were you, and I would 100% make you an offer today had I not bought a new GMC Motorhome last month!).
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:41 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 20' Argosy 20
Georgetown , Texas
Appreciate all that information. Very helpful.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:57 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 20' Argosy 20
Georgetown , Texas
Some very good information. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Mike
Old 09-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I do agree that if you are going to sell it, now is the time (or perhaps last spring/early summer was the peak) -- RVs are hard to come by. As we get into fall/winter, the market will cool somewhat, at least historically, but the market now is crazy.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
Shorty class As are hot right now. Throw in the Cummins and thats' extra hot. The interior shows well. Based on my experience, $20-30k sounds reasonable in this unreasonable market.
Good luck.
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
We sold our '64 Overlander this past summer and I created a very detailed web site with about 90 captioned photos explaining everything I knew about the trailer: what worked, what didn't, what it definitely needed and what it might need. I think that really helped us sell it, because prospective buyers could see that we were being very clear about its condition. It's true that you often don't get a full return on what you put into an RV, but we got much more than we had put into that one.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:52 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1975 20' Argosy 20
Georgetown , Texas
Great idea. Thanks for that info.