Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2021, 05:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sterling , Connecticut
Scam vs Real Ads?

I’m interested in hearing what criteria you apply in evaluating scam versus real ads (CL, FB, RV Trader). I need to look locally, but there are so many scams. Personally, I rule out anything where the price is ridiculously low, where the seller says they are listing it for someone else, or the seller says they are selling it because either someone died or is seriously ill. I pretty much ignore all ads with the picture is either a single snapshot. I saw one recently where it was listed as ‘individual seller’ but a quick search of the person’s prior posts showed more than 30 classified ads. Obviously, I’m very cautious, but it just seems like there are so many bogus ads…so, how do you decide what ads might be legit?
sterlinghick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:22 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
There is a huge business in Airstream scams - you are right to be cautious.

A simple tip is to right click on the images in the ad and "search google" for the same image. You may find the exact same image used for trailers in other locations - scam.

If you are looking locally you have the luxury of a personal inspection. If the seller is unwilling, back away.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:33 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sterling , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
There is a huge business in Airstream scams - you are right to be cautious.

A simple tip is to right click on the images in the ad and "search google" for the same image. You may find the exact same image used for trailers in other locations - scam.

If you are looking locally you have the luxury of a personal inspection. If the seller is unwilling, back away.
Thanks for the tip…that is super cool. I didn’t know you could do an image search.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Craigslist is essentially a sewer now and IMHO is not a useful site for anything.

You have the right ide about criteria. If "sellers" feel the need to explain why they're selling AND are listing cheap, it's a red flag. Unlikely hardship tales, especially ones to "explain" why the so-called seller will only communicate via email or maybe text are red flags.

Refusing inspections, demanding deposits before inspections, etc. are signs of scams, as well as the promise of delivery "included" in the price and the statement that you can "return" it are all reason enough to report and block.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Craigslist is essentially a sewer now and IMHO is not a useful site for anything...

You got that right. When I was in LE I took a lot of calls in which the complainant was scammed on Craigslist, so many that I NEVER go to their website. (I’ve known people that got good deals on Craigslist but I’m not willing to risk it.)
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
You can find bogus ads on Offerup, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, etc.. Don't think that because someone has been a member of FB for 10 years, that their ad is any more trustworthy.

Anyway, in addition to the comments above, anytime the seller tries to defeat the communications system set up by the system, especially by putting their phone number or email address as graphics on their picture is probably a scam. Similarly, if they ask you to use what sounds like a reputable "escrow" service to handle the payment. Also, if they are willing to throw in all kinds of expensive facilitation (ie., shipping from across country, but you can still refuse to buy it and get a full refund) for free.

I ran into a new scam when shopping for a used cell phone recently. The price would be good, but not too good to be true. You contact the person, and they say that someone is on their way to come see it, but if you put money down on it (in the form of a venmo payment), then they will turn the guy away and sell it to you instead. Obviously, this doesn't turn out well.

There are many threads on these forums that describe the hallmarks of a scams, new and old. Search for "scam," and you should see many threads.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I like the one that says send $25,000 in Apple gift cards to hold it and if you don’t like it, you can have the gift cards back. There is never a location to go and inspect it.

I was looking at a 2009 19’ CCD for $25,000 but when I contacted the seller, the trailer was not available to look at and the husband was in hospital etc….

Then a month or so later, I saw the exact same pictures in another ad for a different trailer but the same price.

Beware of the scammers and if you can’t touch the trailer, it isn’t real!

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Scam vs Real Ads?

I was really surprised at how many senior citizens would give personal information to a stranger that cold-called them. We don’t even answer the phone at our house.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
My personal experience was I found 3 Airstreams locally on RV trader. I contacted and visited all 3. One was a daughter selling for her ill parents, one was a guy who had it parked at an RV park and used it as a crash pad while working between his businesses and the 3rd was a guy who bought it out of state, took one cross county trip and then decided to sell. Any of those could have been a scam. We visited each one and met the sellers and everything was fine. No scams. The actual selling/buying experience is another story worth a separate thread.

Never send anyone a deposit you can’t afford to loose. Check out sellers the best you can. Ask the lien holders name. Check out ADN numbers you would wire funds to (it’s usually listed on the bank’s website). If something seems off and the seller can’t satisfy your concern just walk away. Get a vin number on the trailer. In Florida you can get a lot of info from DMV with a vin and tag. They’ll tell you if there is a lien on the trailer. Lots of scams on the internet, but it can also be your friend when you check out a prospective seller. If you go to a private home to see the trailer and the seller says it’s their house, go to the local property appraiser website and make sure they actually own the house. An hour of internet sleuth work can save you a lot of heartache.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
The below ic copied from JohnDrew55, and it’s all sound advice:

Never send anyone a deposit you can’t afford to loose. Check out sellers the best you can. Ask the lien holders name. Check out ADN numbers you would wire funds to (it’s usually listed on the bank’s website). If something seems off and the seller can’t satisfy your concern just walk away. Get a vin number on the trailer. In Florida you can get a lot of info from DMV with a vin and tag. They’ll tell you if there is a lien on the trailer.

I would simply add personal contact with the seller is crucial. You either generate trust, or not. We live in South Central Texas, and our last two purchases were sellers in Atlanta, and Phoenix. We flew out and inspected both, and got comfy with the sellers.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Watch five episodes of American Greed... and proceed

Watch: AMERICAN GREED with a hundred+ good examples of other individuals, getting educated from their business dealings with slick operators selling, opportunities. At a great price, of course.

Clear Title is the first inspection requirement. Check if it is... real or not. Or an old title and the serial number is not the same. Check license plate and insurance papers.

Are the License Plates current? Same State as title? Check it out.

Ask "How many doors does your model have?" If more than ONE... time to say thanks.

Airstream Dealers purchase lots of used trailers and have them on their lot. Even today. Check with an Airstream Dealer. You may pay more... but at least you will own a full sized Airstream... and not a miniature on top of a rock...

If the trailer is at a Storage RV Lot or at a RV permanent Park... talk to the owner that is leasing out the storage space... before you get too far into a 'deal'.

If you believe everyone is honest. Go ahead. You could be among those on American Greed... and telling your story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0145.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	404837   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0396.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	404838  

Old 09-26-2021, 06:52 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sterling , Connecticut
Thank you to all of you for your input. It’s helpful to know I’m on the right track. I considered this year a wash due to COVID. Hopefully the Airstream fairy will bring me something perfect in the spring.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:00 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Also look at the background of the pictures. I see a lot of boats advertised "in Colorado" that have palm trees in the background. I figure this means they're in southern Colorado.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote