Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Cocoa , Florida
Renting out my trailer

Happy Friday all!!,
I'm sure I know the opinion most of you will have towards this, but here it goes.
I have a 2004 28' international and I'm thinking of renting it out daily/weekly. We were in a central Florida county park and there was a airstream next to us that was a rental. The renters did NOT tow it. It was delivered and set up for them... All they did was arrive and the trailer was ready to go. I live 12 miles from port canaveral fl, which is next to Cocoa Beach, 42 miles from Orlando. Pretty much the tourist capital of America. Our stream is sitting more than rolling down the road and I'm thinking why not rent it to families that want the experience of an Airstream. I WILL NOT rent it to be moved by the renter. I will set up and remove it when done. I've seen a few on line for rent and the pricing varies. Has anyone done this? Or has anyone investigated it?? I know I must be crazy, but it just might be a good way to supplement my disability SSI. Although I am getting richer by the day with SSI, it's very tempting.
Your thoughts??
Have a great and safe weekend!!!
Bhkh226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
If I had been having pretty reasonable luck with my trailer not breaking, I'd consider it. Those CCDs are sharp-looking, and I'd imagine you could get a hundred or more a day for it.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
You might want to check with the agency or owner that is running the campground where you plan to do this to make sure that this will be OK with them. Also, talk to your insurance agent to see what they might have to say about this.

Personally, I would never do this, but taking the tow out of the picture would go a long way towards easing my mind.

Good luck!
Old 07-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Sounds like an idea with potential. You might want to check with the campgrounds to see what their take on it is. You might even be able to negotiate some better rate, who knows.. I would lock the ball though to make sure nobody tries to move it.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:59 PM   #5
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Do a search on 'airstream aribnb' and you can see what is happening in this area. Biggest obstacle may be finding insurance, both liability and age to the trailer. Your regular policy probably is worthless.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
Why not do it. I own 4 summer cottages on Lake Champlain that we rent out weekly in the summer and 2 night minimum during the shoulder seasons. I was hoping to rent out my AS on our property for overflow, but couldn't work out the septic (legally). It's now our retirement business and we make a decent income. Just limit the number of occupants and set a minimum number of nights. You can get a feel of future renters by corresponding with them.
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Cocoa , Florida
The insurance is the key.. However, I see KOA is renting AS at certain places. Maybe "contracting" with a established companies at first to test the water is something to look at. Fall under their insurance. Also, advertising seems challenging, I don't exactly think Craigslist is the way to go.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #8
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
I think the guy above meant to type search air bnb airstream,

Where the problem lies is with the municipality, or area where you live, In mine, I called the bylaw department and asked about the legality of using my airstream as an AirBNB rental and the fellow said....Technically it is not allowed but it is complaint driven, he said give it a go as it sounds cool, but check with your household insurance in case you need to add anything...

Here are a couple links from searching AIRBNB...While I have looked in to it for at my home but haven't gone anywhere with the idea yet. My trailer insurance in British Columbia is good as without me adding anything extra it already includes for rental.

https://www.airbnb.ca/wishlists/airstreams

10 Awesome Airbnb Trailers for your next Weekend Getaway | Messy Nessy Chic

Airbnb Weekly Picks: Airstreams | Infinite Legroom
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
here is another good one

Does a smokin' neighborhood + vintage Airstream trailer + Airbnb = profit? - Cashville Skyline Cashville Skyline Does a smokin' neighborhood + vintage Airstream trailer + Airbnb = profit? - Cashville Skyline |
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
leavenworth , Washington
carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhkh226 View Post
Happy Friday all!!,
I'm sure I know the opinion most of you will have towards this, but here it goes.
I have a 2004 28' international and I'm thinking of renting it out daily/weekly. We were in a central Florida county park and there was a airstream next to us that was a rental. The renters did NOT tow it. It was delivered and set up for them... All they did was arrive and the trailer was ready to go. I live 12 miles from port canaveral fl, which is next to Cocoa Beach, 42 miles from Orlando. Pretty much the tourist capital of America. Our stream is sitting more than rolling down the road and I'm thinking why not rent it to families that want the experience of an Airstream. I WILL NOT rent it to be moved by the renter. I will set up and remove it when done. I've seen a few on line for rent and the pricing varies. Has anyone done this? Or has anyone investigated it?? I know I must be crazy, but it just might be a good way to supplement my disability SSI. Although I am getting richer by the day with SSI, it's very tempting.
Your thoughts??
Have a great and safe weekend!!!
are you not worried about damage...things can get exspensive
woodguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
leavenworth , Washington
aren't you concerned about damage?
woodguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I love this idea. Not with my primary trailer because we use it all the time but I've thought of doing it with another trailer. We live in Oregon and there is a commercial campground on the Oregon coast that has amazing bay views. It would be so cool to have another trailer parked there and rent it out in the summer. Give everyone a chance to have the Airstream experience. And for a dealer, it might be a great way to let people try it out - let the cost of a weekend be applied to a purchase or they would pay for it if they didn't buy a trailer - lots of potential there. And if you aren't using your trailer all that much, I think it's cool to let other's use it. Insurance would have to be checked out for sure, but what a great opportunity for all boats to float!

Oh, and if you use something like VRBO to rent it, you can use this insurance thing they have that covers damage - the renters pay it but you can get coverage up to $5,000 for each stay for about $100. You just add it to the cost of the stay.
twestover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Cocoa , Florida
Thanks everyone!! I'm going to dive in to this next week for sure. Updates to follow!!
Old 07-25-2015, 02:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Similar thread,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...am-138584.html

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
After doing your necessary research and you are still comfortable with someone other than YOURSELF staying in your Airstream, go for it. We have friends who have listed their Airstream on Air BnB. For the most part it has been a good experience, but as in all things where the public is involved, there are risks to be considered. If it works for you and it is alalowed where you live, it might be a nice spot of extra income for you!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
I'll be following your thread to see how this works out for you. I've been thinking of doing something similar when I retire. We rented our Overlander for two different movie shoots and had no problems, but renting to an individual could be more risky. In one case we towed it and charged extra for transportation, the other time they towed it. I think one challenge would be if there's no sewer hookup making sure the renters understand the need for conserving water.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:12 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Only as long as you really do background checks!!

I own rental properties. I do background checking AND secure serious deposits and secure services of my attorney to draft rental documents. Do the same, and ALWAYS take digital photos (dated & time-stamped) of your rental (before/after). These steps should decrease your headaches and agrivation. Additionally, if possible, a regular at this site MAY be willing to be your eyes/ears on your AS for a fee.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:09 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Renting Out My MoHo

I've rented my Airstream out privately through Craigslist quite a few times...I never have issues booking it out for whenever I'm not going to use it. I've used other companies (RVshare.com, privatemotorhomerental.com) etc...but in the end what they charge in fees for their "insurance" I've found not to be worth it. A close family friend of mine owns a local insurance company and I have a policy through them that covers me 20 times as much for 1/4 of what I was losing in fees. Mind you mine is a Class A, so I am giving full control over the renter, but I have a system in place that does an amazing background check on any potential renter, and I do charge a pretty hefty deposit...but no more than the usual for Class A diesel pushers. On top of which where I live there's basically only one other coach in my category as competition...so not too bad.

I say go for it. I make the majority of my income on my rental properties as is. I own a few rental homes and apartments buildings, my Hatteras, my Fountain (which I use the most so I think I've rented it out maybe once) and my AS XC Diesel pusher...and it all comes down to VETTING your renters. I've had mostly great renters, but there have been a few horror stories. Sometimes people just sneak past even the best of background checks. As this is your first time in the rental world I highly recommend using a rental management company...but vet the hell out of them too...you wouldn't believe how bad some can be. There are sadly far more slumlords than decent landlords.

In the end...honestly, it's a crapshoot, so it really comes down to if you need the income or not. With my Airstream I looked at it as possible income that was just sitting there way to often (after I finished up with the project that I needed it which had me full-timing) and I HATE to see potential income go to waste. But, even the best of insurance policies probably have some loophole built in that's gonna end you up on the receiving end of the tow hitch...anyways...good luck, I say do it, but I have Aspergers and wouldn't take my own advice most of the time, hehe...(if you can't laugh at yourself, you have no sense of humour).
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:14 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Encino , California
I've had my airstream on airbnb for 3 years. It's been a positive experience for the most part. Make's around $5,000 a year and it force's me to keep up on the maintenance. I have full hooks up on my property and never would I allow anyone traveling rights. It's a little like work with doing laundry & cleaning. But when our family is ready to travel land shark is in terrific shape and ready to go.. Airbnb 1099s you at year end tax time and of coarse you can write of the expenses related to the cost of doing business. In some area a room tax is required, you'll have to check your local city requirements. Airbnb has a $1,000,000.00 liability policy for damage's and I have used it, when a guess lite and failed to lift, shattering my cook-top glass lid. $380 and they paid.

Overall the people are very excited and considerate. Mostly just looking for the airstream experience without the full commitment.
Land Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
You might want to check with the agency or owner that is running the campground where you plan to do this to make sure that this will be OK with them.
I just noticed that the Michigan State Parks reservation system includes this rule:
If you are commercially using state lands (which includes state parks and boating access sites), you should be aware an agreement with the DNR is required to approve this commercial use. Commercial operations are defined as: “any activity that involves, directly or indirectly, the buying or selling of goods or services, or the exchange or attempt to offer to exchange goods or services for money, barter, or for anything of value.” The DNR has determined that rental of recreational equipment, (which includes delivery, commercial set-up and tear-down services) on state owned lands requires oversight by the Department to minimize conflicts and set standards of conduct. Additional information and the application form may be found at DNR Permission to Use State Lands Redirect. Questions should be directed to Brenda Mikula, Concession/Lease Manager at (989) 275-5151 x2006 or mikulab@michigan.gov.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote