Old 05-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Common sense

If heading for a recession one would think a person would try to become somewhat independant and recession proof....pruchasing anything that is not essential and depreciates is an interesting, but seemingly quite illogical approach, especially if you are going to use someone else's money and pay them interest to do it. Your mileage may vary.

dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:58 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
A rapidly depreciating item like a truck is not a hard asset. With fuel, insurance, repairs, and depreciation it is more like a hard liability

Old 05-17-2020, 06:18 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
We are in recession but we have deflation not inflation. Someday inflation come back but not during a recession. You need to understand economic principles and what you are suggesting is contradictory.
2012 GMC Denali HD Duramax
Pro Pride hitch
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:34 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Reading the tea leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
We are in recession but we have deflation not inflation. Someday inflation come back but not during a recession. You need to understand economic principles and what you are suggesting is contradictory.

Contradictory according to pre-Ď70ís Keynesian economic theory, which we now know to be wrong. You most certainly can have a recession with inflation.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #85
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mattawan , Michigan
markets will be / are already being flooded with money so I am sure we will see continuing inflation...
ZeGermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:24 AM   #86
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Daquenzer is right. Very nicely stated. I also have an economics degree. Deflation of vehicle prices is well underway. Used car values have plummeted by a record amount. Now is a poor time to sell anything. This emotional response to economic swings is why so many people fail to invest well in the stock market, for example. Savvy investors would be looking to BUY a used vehicle soon. I bought Chevron (CVX) at $54/share when oil prices went negative and doomsday forecasts were under way. CVX trades for $90/share today. Doomsday predictions are always being made by someone taking the opposite trade position. The Coronavirus risk is drastically overstated by those that benefit from imposing controls on other people. Now is not the time to make rash investment decisions.
The risk for inflation will be on the other side of this recession/depression because of low interest rates and a high money supply. But, there will have to be strong economic activity to stimulate demand for goods and services. It will not happen instantly.
2012 GMC Denali HD Duramax
Pro Pride hitch
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #87
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Survival tips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
Suggesting that an economic/societal doomsday isnít a more real possibility at this moment than anytime in the last 5 decades is concerning. Iím not saying very likely, but just not astronomically small possibility. Wake up to the fact that this is a deadly serious moment, and not due to the virusís mortality risk.

Some survival tip's for the MillennialsÖ.

You can make a fire by vigorously rubbing elk together, Also beavers. Rub those beavers.

You can make a signal fire by burning Celine Dion CDs.

Thereís no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently.

If you encounter a black bear, attempt to cross the road or distract it with rap music.

If you encounter a grizzly bear, attempt to punch it in the eye. This will not scare the bear off, but youíre dead anyway so you donít want to go out like a WUSS.

You can determine which direction is north by asking someone.
Failing that, float a stick on a still body of water. North will be the direction that is opposite of south.

Never make RIGHT turns when youíre lost in a forest. Right turns attract left wing zombies.

Punch squirrels to vent your frustrations

Plant a garden. Vegetables can sustain you if you plan on sitting still for the better part of a growing season. And you have vegetable seeds handy.

If you brought a cow, milk it.

Bob
🇺🇸

"Sticks & stones will break their bones, ignoring will get it over with."
RLC

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:54 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Bolton , Massachusetts
a bit of pandemic slow down good news - after an extensive search and help from the forum folks we have just found a truck service shop with a big enough bay and a bit of free time to pop a new engine tranny and all the good stuff into our 345 .parts are in .job starts friday should be done in 2 weeks (probably 3 with snafus ) then we roll again.Staying all stock 454 /holly carb/ 3 speed tranny / no mods / want it to feel like 1985 when I drove it off the lot new .
Paul J Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Wait--I know you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

You can determine which direction is north by asking someone.
Failing that, float a stick on a still body of water. North will be the direction that is opposite of south.

You're actually Douglas Adams, right?
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:15 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J Mauro View Post
a bit of ... good news .

Congratulations! That is good news. I mean, I don't know what any of it means, but "good news" is always good news. And running like new? That's tremendous. I wish I did!

But I just wanted to mention that now'days, "tranny" doesn't mean "transmission."
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:17 AM   #91
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
^
I believe you are referring to an automatic trannie.🤔

Bob
🇺🇸

"Sticks & stones will break their bones, ignoring will get it over with."
RLC

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:17 AM   #92
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
New Milford , Pennsylvania
This is very depressing. I'm going back to sleep. In the bed of my new pickup truck.

AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote