Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Hurley , New York
I purchased a 2018 16' Sport on the insistance of the DW. When the haggling was done, I told the dealer I wouldn't take it without rock guards and a power tongue jack at the quoted price. After a fair amount of "your killing me" from him and a call to the factory I got my rockguards. Not sure what other models do not come with them as standard but dont let the dealer tell you they wont fit or cant get them. The electric jack is an easy add on. I also wanted a rear bumper but that didnt fly.
nuttinbutxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #22
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Here's Colonial Airstreams used stock - gives you an idea what the market is like. Then check out their new inventory...

https://www.colonialairstream.com/ai...ned-inventory/

$46K for a 2016 seems real high. Maybe there's an east coast trip out there for you...think of all the things you'll see and experience on your way back home in your new Airstream!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2020 27' Globetrotter
2023 Interstate 24GT
Valparaiso , Florida
2019 Sport Purchase

I think you have a bit more bargaining room on the used Sport. Just bought a new 22 ft Sport for around 48, taxes, hitch, sway bars and brakes kicked it to around 51. Also, the warranty is probably worth something, at least peace of mind.
Jcounsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:14 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcounsman View Post
I think you have a bit more bargaining room on the used Sport. Just bought a new 22 ft Sport for around 48, taxes, hitch, sway bars and brakes kicked it to around 51. Also, the warranty is probably worth something, at least peace of mind.
Yep!

I started looking at new instead!

They are at a premium out west it seems! Got a deal for the base new 2019 Sport 22FB. Shopped it around to a few dealers within ~1000 miles.

All I heard was meet that price and that with me coming in and they would NOT beat it. They offered better service but doubt I'd drive 1000 miles for warranty work.....

Come to find out mine (yea I got it!) had the solar option! And lowest taxes around by ~2-3%. So I was bargaining from a position of strength and didn't even know! If I'd have requested solar there's no way I'd get the same deal!

I thought delivery fees were the same nationwide but the ones closer to AS are selling them MUCH lower! All the western dealers I dealt with were firm they could not beat the price I had in place yet I could have taken another $2-3000 off back east.... Would have been a wash at best; travel expenses, time off work etc...

Thanks!

R44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:29 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Paradise Valley , Arizona
I'd offer 39k, he'll say "oh no couldn't do that". You say well ok 40. He probably won't go for that. Then you say "bye, bye" and walk out. Guarantee he'll call you. DO NOT, give him a dime more.
xisme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

canal winchester , Ohio
to give you an idea I just purchased a 2014 sport 22 that is in great shape for 37 so 46 is still alot more then you should pay. I would say between 40-42 would be fair because I was offered a new 2019 sport 22 for 49k.
9campbec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:05 PM   #27
Renassiance man

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Simi valley , California
Buying

Call Nick at Colonial he is the most honest and knowledgeable vehicle sales person I have ever dealt with!
Over the long haul a thousand dollars more or less is no big deal, a solid relationship is very comforting feeling!
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:34 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Doylestown , Pennsylvania
he's a sales person
thats what they do ( sell )
price sounds fair esp. if mint
They also need to make a living
Warranty ?
You want them to make money and be there if you need them.
77walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:37 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Doylestown , Pennsylvania
agree with Brentsdeal
I purchased from Nick 1 yr ago
Fair price and always there for my questions.
A nice young man !
77walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:28 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77walter View Post
he's a sales person
thats what they do ( sell )
price sounds fair esp. if mint
They also need to make a living
Warranty ?
You want them to make money and be there if you need them.
This is what I don't get!

I have bought a lot of stuff through the years like automobiles. Once done with the salesman I never communicated again!

IME Service does NOT pay attention to salesman and why would they?! They are acutely aware of how the business is run and do not want their rep based on a fly by night salesman. As stated salesman come and go but service techs stick around. Service is judged on a tangible result and if the fail you don't go to salesman you go to service manager or GM of the dealer or AS. NOT the salesman!

You've seen Fargo right? Once out from behind their desk I'm sure the rest of the outfit follows a similar if less rude approach.

Of course a good salesman can snow you into thinking he's pulling strings for you but NO salesman is going to get your coach moved up in line for attention in the service department. They can hold your hand and comfort you but service and sales are separate entities and tell you what great service you get but do you really think service answers to sales?

Thanks,

R44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote