Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
Why hasn't the prices of propane decreased like natural gas?

Man, $27 each for 2 x 30 lbers.

At least my place is offering 1 free tank fillip with the purchase of 10.
Wow! I just paid $12 each for 2 20#.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
At home, we buy our propane at a local gas station that also carries propane. It usually costs somewhere around $2.80/gal, but less if you buy more than 10 gals at a time (you can fill multiple tanks to get over the minimum). Of course, 10 gal is more that what a #30 tank takes (~7.5 gals)...so we never get that discount because we never fill more than one tank at a time.... we alternate our two tanks' use so we never run out. We were quite surprised the first time we ran across a situation where we had to pay a flat rate no matter the amount needed...that was in a small NM mountain town. There was only one propane place in town, so they pretty much had you by the short hairs. BUT the cost was $20 ... so it was about the same as we would normally pay for a tank at the gallon rate...pretty much a wash.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
We have two 500 gallon tanks and three 110 gallon tanks on our property. Tank rental is about $50 a year per tank. I used to have a "wet feed" on one of the 500 gallon tanks for the AS tanks and a dual fuel Bobcat. Thanks to EPA regs and insurance companies, my wet feed was removed. I pay the same for propane when I take the tanks into the Co-op as I pay for home delivery. When I moved to Colorado in 1985, propane was 75 cents a gallon. This year my "not to exceed" contract from the Co-op is $2.85 a gallon. A lot of the natural gas production has been shut down thanks to the onerous EPA regs and constant law suits by the eco-nazi's.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:49 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
I paid $500 for a used 500 gallon LP tank, so your $2000 price is way off. No one needs a new LP tank as they last for over 50 years. And look like new with a coat of paint. If you do not use propane for home heating it would be ridiculous to buy a tank just to fill your camper. I still stand by my statement that we are getting screwed paying over $3 to fill a 20 or 30# tank. Defend the oil companies and fuel dealers if you want, but they have a record of screwing us.
Not defending anybody. Just not getting upset over the prices we have to pay. Already said, earlier in the thread, they charge what they do, because they can. Doesn't mean I like it. Or like them.

$2000 happens to be what Amerigas charges if you purchase a new tank from them. Pricing for used tanks is lower, of course, but depends on condition and availability.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
$3.21/gl equivalent for fills by truck here at RV park.

Quite hard to imagine an RV without propane. The expense is low considering the portability and near-permanent storage quality (versus storage problems of liquid petro products). Heating, cooking, hot water, lighting, refrigeration, bbq grill . . . .

What is one's annual use? Versus depreciation of both vehicles? Vehicle storage? Insurance? I have a hard time imagining propane ever really being much of an expense, when it comes down to it.

I'd just like to have more capacity than was standard.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I filled both my(new) tanks today, $3.75/gal. I walked away $54 out of pocket. OUCH. Guess I need to double check for leaks.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Sometimes you can negotiate, especially if you have been a long term customer or if you get them to fill your home tank. Sometimes you just have to go somewhere where they won't gouge you. $30 for a 30lb tank is a rip-off. $20 is more reasonable. I won't pay $30 per tank anymore.

So assuming you have your own tank and it is not illegal to fill a small tank from a big tank, how does one accomplish this? I would assume you need some sort of transfer pump?

I have a home tank now that use for supplemental heating. I am thinking of getting a bigger tank and heating the house with it as opposed to heating with a terribly inefficient heat pump.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
You do not need a transfer pump. Every 500 gallon tank and most 250 gal tanks have a fitting for a liquid line that has a tube that goes to the bottom of the big tank. You just need a valve to screw on to the port for the liquid line and a hose that screws on the valve. The other end of the hose has a fitting that connects to your small LP tank. I bought the valve from the guy who fills my 500 gal tank, and the hose on ebay. Cost, about $60 total.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
You do not need a transfer pump. Every 500 gallon tank and most 250 gal tanks have a fitting for a liquid line that has a tube that goes to the bottom of the big tank. You just need a valve to screw on to the port for the liquid line and a hose that screws on the valve. The other end of the hose has a fitting that connects to your small LP tank. I bought the valve from the guy who fills my 500 gal tank, and the hose on ebay. Cost, about $60 total.
That's a wet feed and the EPA has banned them and insurance companies do not like them.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #30
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
That's a wet feed and the EPA has banned them and insurance companies do not like them.
Two documents about dispensing propane, from the Propane Education and Research Council (PERC)…

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...KLaTH3fklOfJcA

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...qqFtCZQULD7k8w

One is copyrighted 2005, the other is copyrighted 2007, so EPA regulations may have superseded some of the info presented. Still, they're both interesting reads for someone who wants to set up for transferring propane from a bulk tank to a portable tank.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
$1.99/gal during the summer months; yesterday it was $2.25 / gal for small tanks.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Do you need to drain the tank in order to put in one of these valves?

Perry

Quote:
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #33
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Do you need to drain the tank in order to put in one of these valves?

Perry
Most tanks already have a "wet leg" with a fitting on top of the tank for it. The fitting is brass and has a Schrader-type valve in it (like a tire valve only larger) with a brass plug attached. It is possible to remove the plug with minimal propane leakage since the Schrader valve remains closed until a liquid dispensing valve is installed in place of the cap.

I have a wet leg setup with no pump for filling tanks but have come to find it to be enough of a nuisance to use that I usually get the tanks filled at a propane dealer. The propane places around here have reasonable prices. I've also found that U-haul usually has good prices. Campgrounds and truck stops charge the most.