Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2021, 10:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cataumet , Massachusetts
Opinions please

We bought a Tiffin Allegro RED new in 2012 and had it for 7 years. We sold it in 2019 because of the never ending maintenance and repair issues. Seems we were constantly on our way to Red Bay Al either when starting a trip or returning from one. We are thinking of getting back into traveling but with a trailer this time and thinking an Airstream would be our choice.
Because of less moving parts therefore less to repair.
My question is, are the issues we had with our Tiffin just part of the meal [as we came to believe & were told] or would an Airstream be much less of a headache.
You honest opinions please. Thank you.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:12 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
How many trips were you taking? If it's 2 trips a year and something needed to be fixed on each trip, that sounds pretty normal for the whole "RVing thing" but if you were traveling every month and something was always broken, it sounds like a design flaw.

Bouncing a house down the road is bound to rattle a few things loose. I've taken lots of trips on which I didn't need to repair anything before or during the trip, but I can't pretend nothing ever needs repair.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I had a National Tradewinds 40' and yes and no.
It never left me stranded, but the $500 oil changes, $3500 tires, and always needing the dash air fixed because it sat a lot.
So I went to a 26' Airstream and it's been a delight. I say it must have been a "Wednesday" build, because it's been trouble free.
All my projects are things I want to add or modify.
The other thing about Airstreams is there doesn't seem to be snobbery. I find the new, old, big, small, all attractive, and sometimes I wish I had the patience to redo an older one.
Everybody waves, rallies are fun.
If I won the Powerball, I'd be tempted to get an Eagle, but until then, I'm happy.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:27 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
My parents had a class a diesel pusher (36’ Itasca horizon) for almost 20 years, and we were able to use it on occasion so I have some first hand perspective I can share. They too had frequent items to address, usually minor, but occasionally complex and substantial. An important part of the answer is in regard to your own willingness and ability to keep up with fixes. My dad was very handy and did much of the work himself, including doing his own oil changes and the related PM stuff on a diesel chassis. If you don’t want to touch anything, then trips to an RV repair service/facility will still be a regular part of your experience. But the summary of “always something” needing attention is pretty accurate in a class a, less accurate in an airstream (simpler unit). I have only had my Airstream about a year, and while I have been making many changes (all of them my choice) I also do as much of my own repair work as I can. There are also a few things to keep up with that I seek professionals to help with (recently had to replace my shocks due to failure of one of them). However, the Airstream is significantly less complex than a class a unit, so the amount of things to attend to is proportionally less. In the end, unexpected issues really are part of the RV experience, and you will encounter some with Airstream too, but I think they will be less frequent and hopefully less complex. Hope that helps you.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
There will always be some maintenance. First camping trip out no hot water. Had to take off the mixing valve to soak it in white vinegar and clean the mixing valve filter. When I de-winterized I didn’t do that was in a hurry. I’d say 50% of the time we go out something will need to be tweaked. But they are typically a loose screw or hinge, or something really pretty simple; nothing major.

Also Airstreams do require regular cleaning and waxing. Most of the maintenance issues that I’ve encountered I’ve fixed myself.

Some people say get a 1 or 2 year Airstream because the previous owner has worked through most of the bugs. I had some, but not many.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Yea, I hear you Albie, and to some degree, its easy to look at Airstream in a similar line of thought. For both types of units, the more regular use they get, the easier they are to maintain. If they sit for signifanct periods of time, stuff gets "stiff" and "brittle", so if you plan to use it regularly, that is a big step toward a better experience in my opinion. Airstream is an expensive brand for sure, but the magnitude of the MSRP does not eliminate the occasional issues from cropping up and needing attention. I really do think Airstream is lower complexity than most units, for instance no slides, and the base construction is more substantial, heavy frame, solid structure around, etc, so it will be a better experience, but you will still have to tinker with some things.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:02 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cataumet , Massachusetts
Thanks for your replies.
I too did most of the repair things myself, but knew my limits. I am a believer in good maintenance.

Some of our issues were replaced leveling jacks, slide issues, water pump, toilet, replaced inverter, refer issues, washer issues, 2 DEF breakdowns & then at 41K miles an $8500 DEF repair in AZ. After contacting Cummins I got that repair reduced to $4500. Then the we got the dreaded "Tiffin Crack". It seemed that it would never end. I expected more from a unit with an MSRP of over $214K.

One mans opinion.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:27 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you have a usage cycle that involves store over the winter / use in the summer, doing some level of this or that coming out of storage is part of any RV. Here in PA we get yearly inspections on a trailer, just like on a car or truck.

Way back when the family "shared" a class A. The level of work involved on that beast was *way* past anything I've had to do on the Airstream trailer *plus* the tow vehicle. The ability to separate one from the other does obscure that a bit, but it's still true.

Are Airstreams perfect? Most certainly not. They are an RV made in small quantities, just like every other RV. They have the same appliances in them as a whole lot of RV's.

The only thing that put us into the "stuck / what to do" state on the trailer was a brake failure while rolling through Northern Ohio. Fortunately we could easily get to the Airstream factory. They did a great job fitting us in the repair section quickly. We got back on the road very fast.

On the tow vehicle, nothing ever happened that got us stuck. An oil tanker in North Dakota put a rock into the windshield. We fixed that when we got back home.

Bring tools and a few spare parts. Be ready for odd things like rivets or bolts coming loose. Being able to park the trailer and then drive to the parts guy to get a bolt for the steps is (compared to stuck on the interstate) a pretty simple fix.

Fun !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Thanks for your replies.
I too did most of the repair things myself, but knew my limits. I am a believer in good maintenance.

Some of our issues were replaced leveling jacks, slide issues, water pump, toilet, replaced inverter, refer issues, washer issues, 2 DEF breakdowns & then at 41K miles an $8500 DEF repair in AZ. After contacting Cummins I got that repair reduced to $4500. Then the we got the dreaded "Tiffin Crack". It seemed that it would never end. I expected more from a unit with an MSRP of over $214K.

One mans opinion.
Some of the issues you encountered would be from your tow vehicle if you get an Airstream; like your DEF issues. Although getting a pickup fixed is probably easier. The biggest expense other than the Airstream will be the kind of tow vehicle you want. If you are coming from a CLASS A you will most likely be most comfortable is something like a Classic 30’. To tow that you are looking at a 3/4 to 1 ton gas or diesel. And that is an entirely new level of discussion. Yes, you won’t have as many problems with the Airstream, but you may still have issues with the tow vehicle. And are you going to use the tow vehicle as a daily driver or not; new or used; gas or diesel..?

But the more “power” stuff that is used the more likely stuff goes wrong. But water pumps, inverters, toilets, etc are still part of the Airstream. And if you get a Classic there are also other kinds of bells and whistles. The old adage “the more stuff you get the more stuff can go wrong” applies. My AS is really pretty simple. So if simplicity is something you really want an AS can also get more complicated based upon your trim and option levels.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
If you want opinions, you've come to the wrong place.

Old 06-11-2021, 05:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
. . .
My question is, are the issues we had with our Tiffin just part of the meal [as we came to believe & were told] or would an Airstream be much less of a headache.
You honest opinions please. Thank you.
There is only one meal plan in the RV cafeteria, regardless of brand IMO.

Searching online for:

“QC quality control site:airforums.com”

. . . will reveal wildly inconsistent owner experiences IMO. The wild swings suck IMO, even if the Airstream pro’s outweigh the “con’s” . . .

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
“QC quality control site:airforums.com”
. . .
Back at the computer now, so here are those search results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=QC+q...=airforums.com

FYI
FWIW

Old 06-12-2021, 07:15 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The typical "other choice" when looking at this is a fifth wheel trailer. They do have advantages in terms of living space. They have the same issues with a (large) tow vehicle. If you hop on their forums, they seem to have "issues" with this and that as well.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Windsor , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post

Thank you for the laughs this morning!!!!!😂
MTDSilver71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:53 AM   #15
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
My opinion is that "Opinions please" is a terrible, inconsiderate title for a thread.
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post

I'm the world's leading authority on my opinion.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
An old mechanic friend of mine, years ago, 'opining' on passenger vehicles, always said they're all junk. You just have to decide if you want to drive 100 thousand dollar junk, or 10 thousand dollar junk.

Same goes with rv's.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Bingo!

Old 06-27-2021, 10:18 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
My first opinion is ignore the nasty comments on here. Just like people who RV, some are nasty and trailers have issues as well - just usually cheaper. We motorhomed for over 40 years. The last 20 or so with multiple motorhomes including diesel pushers. We now have an AS Classic, 30’. It gave us some of the same comforts our motorhome had; reclining chairs etc. We DO NOT miss the stress of class As; will the levelers go down/up, cost of maintenance, Ins., tires, license ($12000+ in MI), etc. Yes, things happen. We DO miss the W/D, (hate laundromats), residential refrigerator, & storage space. Have learned to adapt - have learned. We live in it 4 mo in the winter and travel multiple times in the other months. Love the ease of finding camp sites we easily fit in. Still miss the W/D. We considered a 5th wheel but realized many stresses would still be there.
Just our experience. We’ll never go back. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Sumterville , Florida
Amen. Been there.
SVTOTEM is online now   Reply With Quote