Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Cape May County , New Jersey
Noobie - Do Dealers throw in extras?

Planning to buy our first RV ever, an A/S, of course.

Looking at a year end deal - new 2019 FC 25RBT at Colonial in NJ. Hoping to get 20-25% off MSRP. + $1k Silver Sign refund.

Can I ask for some extras thrown in to sweeten the deal?

Is that typlical?

What are some examples of extras that I could ask for?
huck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
What's the worst that can happen? They say no.
When I bought my 2017, I insisted on Good Year Endurance tires over the stock Marathons. They grumbled but did it. Then I asked for new batteries and was told, "Your trailer will be delivered with fully charged batteries." In other words, no.
There aren't that many options for an Airstream, so you might get a sewer hose or a gift coupon for their store. (I did)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Well, my dealer threw in a lot, as I recall. I had Michelins and wheels delivered to them and they took them to Discount Tire for installation and balancing, no charge. They installed my ProPride hitch, no charge. They installed a water filter under the sink, no charge. They provided me with a $300 credit in their parts/goodies store. I did not buy any of their optional coverage, the stuff car dealer try to sell as well.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
YES! I got several items including a $200-300 starter kit with water hose, filter, sewer hose, chocks, etc - basic items you need. Just like buying a car - negotiate for what you want / need.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I generally agree with the others, however there are some things to consider:

Asking for store credit is good but remember, the dealer prices may be much higher than online or Walmart so some of that credit is eroded over maximum price reductions, partially offset by the fact the dealer gets a fair amount of that credit back so they are often willing to give you credit rather than further price reductions.

If you are new to hauling a large trailer, consider asking for a high quality weight distribution hitch, then you can get them to show you how to use it properly.

There are a bunch of items you will need that you won't learn about until you have camped a few times. This site has some suggested checklists for you to consider.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The bottom line is, "are you prepared to walk away?"
In my case they had the only one like mine in four states.
You can push the issue, but at some point, they'll say no.
Then you either accept the deal or start over.

Then, remember you may want to take it back for service.
If you're 500 miles away, it's never, "Bring it in and we'll fix it while you wait." More likely it will be, "Your widget is broken, and it's under warranty, but we'll have to order one. Come back in a month."
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
Colonial is pretty straightforward. They provided us several nice "extras" including a high quality sewer hose, and a very nice gift basket; the only other thing we negotiated into the deal was a weight distribution hitch as mentioned above. Regardless of those things, Colonial was a pleasure to deal with.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:28 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As a percentage of what you are spending .... the "extras" are not going to be much.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Freebies - the world is changing.

In the old days (10 - 20 years ago) dealers did a lot of "dipstick" pricing... marking things up enough to cover overhead and make a profit; and frankly many dealers did not do a good job of distinguishing between Cash Flow and actual Profit.

If a $130,000 Airstream is sold, the dealer has good cash flow for the week! But profit, maybe not. If that deal was $14,000 below list and they threw in a free hitch and $2,300 of miscellaneous crap AND forgot to factor in their labor cost to install the hitch, and the interest paid to get the unit on their floor, and the cost of operating the showroom and the cost of washing and prepping and doing the walk-thru, etc. Then their profits were seriously compromised. Any big dip in sales and the business was heading over the cliff.

There have always been Bean Counters, but over the last 10 years they have converted most managers/owners into evangelical bean counters! Labor cost analysis is one of the biggest focus areas and training cost analysis is a close second. What does this mean to the consumer, especially moi?

First if a dealer thinks of his service bays as a "cost center" he/she will be floored when actual statistics show that the service department CAN gross almost $10,000 per bay per month. Doing "free installation" of hitches, etc is going to disappear. Imstead, your best bargain will be 60% off on labor. Of course dealers will have to provide techs with tools to make their jobs easier to do right.. and efficiently. Pressure test equipment to find every leak the first time is one example that pops to mind. Keeping good, educated techs will require better wages, benefits and ongoing "in service" educational opportunities.

Sharing financial realities with sales, parts and service personnel is going to be THE big problem for most owners... but right now the problem is that almost every GOOD mechanic is totally tempted to buy a truck and offer mobile service. Until he/she adds up the employer's share of social security, commercoal insurance rates, advertising, utilities, and a hundred other costs. Then ask the question, "if you break an arm and can't work for six weeks, what happens?" Oh.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Noobie - Do Dealers throw in extras?

The acronym “TANSTAAFL” comes to mind after reading this. I’m betting it’s still applicable.

And, when you look it up, note that my absolute favorite author invented it.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my selling dealer gave me a decent discount and made my trailer ready for the road. They gave me a starter kit which is all it was. [cheap] They gave me a hitch and brake controller and installed it all for free.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The acronym “TANSTAAFL” comes to mind after reading this. I’m betting it’s still applicable.

And, when you look it up, note that my absolute favorite author invented it.
I agree.

And didn't have to look it up....The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is one of my favorite Heinlein books.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hear, hear. Followed closely by the uncut version of “Stranger in a strange land”

My only regret was not getting to thank him for being an important influence in my life...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:55 AM   #14
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I think we saved $7-$8,000 by buying a 2011 after the 12s were out. We were warned by dealers that we would lose money etc. when we traded or sold it. I don’t think there were any great improvements in the 12s that we missed out on, and of course we still have it so we haven’t taken any hit on resale vs a 12. Factoring in returns on the money we saved, I think we came out alright. We were able to get the hitch and brake controller. We pretty much already had everything else we needed. Good luck in your bargaining. We did not get 25% off of MSRP..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
If the dealer is “throwing in” hundreds of dollars in extras, you are paying too much. Nothing is free in life
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:42 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Got my 2016 FC RBT from Colonial. They threw in an Equalizer hitch and a rear view camera. Plus the box of standard goodies which they throw in for everyone (toilet paper, sewer donut, cheap sewer hose, bag of toilet chemical, etc. And forget the batteries. They'll be useless if the rig has been there awhile. On my third set already. And I keep them in the garage all winter on smart chargers.
Will be upgrading to 6V AGM's this summer along with a multistage charger (which you won't have to worry about on your 2019.).
All in all, if you can get that deal, go for it! I have found Colonial to be really great to deal with and am looking forward to them getting into their new site with a bit of real estate!
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #17
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Wishing and hoping - planning and dreaming - some do some don't
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2020 28' International
Hillsborough , North Carolina
We had to order our 2020, so the only thing we got as a free gift was unlimited coffee while they did the paperwork and a gift coupon for their store. As the dealer had just relocated to their new store, the store had very little merchandise. I wish they had fitted sheets as we would have used that coupon toward those.

As stated previously, it never hurts to ask as the only thing they can say is "no". Good luck!!
swlovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Yes, some dealers are looking to get your business, so they will "sweeten" the pot so to speak...I negotiated a Fiama bike rack for $500 total,(installed) and free Blue Ox SP hitch in my first new transaction deal on my 2014 25'FC. With my currant 2017, 28' FC, I got the Fiama free along with the BO hitch, but also got them to throw in a rear camera, not on original unit. In addition to the above, both times i bought new, they threw in a "starter" kit hoses, chocks, 50A-30A plub converter, door mat, etc..
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
LEES SUMMIT , Missouri
When I bought my Airstream (my first), I had no idea what to expect, however, I have lots of experience buying cars. I negotiated with two Airstream dealers in two different states. When I received the final lowest number from the second dealer and the price was so low that the first dealer was pissed and swore that he would be losing money at that price, I knew I had the right purchase price. I bought from the second dealer and the second dealer even threw in a nice installed Equal-i-zer hitch, a starter kit that included sewer hoses, electrical cords, etc., plus a $500 store credit to purchase whatever I wanted in their RV store.
dechampion is offline   Reply With Quote