Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
Short Gal with a Big F250

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
Smile Newbie: Top five things you wish you had known prior to purchase

Hi there!

Shopping for an '05 International - either 25 or 28' footer.

Can you give me some words of wisdom on things you wish you had known prior to your purchase?

Trying to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible

Thanks! Pinky
Pinky65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
M , Northern California
how to overcome sticker shock
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:54 AM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
1) I chased used too far before realizing that the best prices on a factory order were much lower than I thought.

2) Think carefully about twin beds, they do have advantages

3) Consider both local and nationwide dealers

4) Consider the cost of the hitching system, brake controller, tow vehicle modifications, and interior outfitting in your financial planning. You can spend $3,000 on parts if you get a ProPride hitch, a Maxbrake controller, and some wiring. You can spend $1000 on linens, Corelle, Lynx blocks, and sundries.

5) Think through your tow vehicle situation and assess any back maintenance. Many people find they have to replace their tow vehicle because it just isn't capable enough. I ended up doing a bunch of repairs to get my truck from the "snow plowing and occasional trips to the lumberyard" condition to "long trips towing 8000 pound trailer" condition.

Have fun, and good luck.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Weights and capacities. In your case, the 25' and the 28' weigh almost the same (using current spec's), the 28' has a larger air conditioner and furnace.

Best use of living space. The 28' is only two feet longer than the 25', but the side dinette is more efficient, and allows a full lounge across the front. The bed is also easier to access.

Looking at used trailers, read up on corrosion and leakage problems. Right here in this forum.

Roadability/size. It must be something you can handle comfortably on your highways, or you won't go anywhere. Decide that first, then look at floor plans.

Dollars and sense. Get what you can afford to purchase, operate, and tow. The devil is not in the details, it's in the price tag.

Doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Calgary , Alberta
...where to park it when not in use during the camping season?
Where and how to store it during the off season?
Any city/town bylaws against parking RVs on front streets, alleys, on your property, etc?
Freeheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
After 700+ nights and 60,000+ miles in Lucy (2005 25FB), these are the features that we would not like to live without.

The shower separate from the rest of the bath. This is a major plus for two or more people.

The built-in black tank flush option. If you use the trailer a lot like we do, this is a must.

Two bowl kitchen sink.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
There"s a lot of hype surrounding Airstreams so look very very carefully at the unit you 're actually purchasing. Fit and finish seems to be issue and the finished product is all over the board. Generally the materials are good (with exceptions) but the assembly can be anything from pretty good to down right bad ,and I mean really bad. You tend to notice these small details after you've taken ownership and although some of them can be corrected through warranty repair others could require major work to correct. So after you"ve decided on the unit,go over it from top to bottom ( bring friends) before you sign those papers. We're actually pretty happy with our unit but there's a long list of small fit and finish items that drive me crazy and should have never passed any real quality control. Seems ""good enough" is good enough for Airstream. Oh and if you find any rivets or screws missing you can find plenty of them under the cabinets or floor.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
The twin beds are a good choice as they allow the bedroom to be useable as a room...for resting, dressing, emailing, etc. (due to the walk-around space).
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
1. There's Never Enough Time for Camping.

2. They all eventually leak in some way, shape, or form.

3. Ownership can be addictive which can lead to more time here, or more trailers in the yard.

4. Plastic Flamingos are a Fashion Statement. Gotta love em.

5. That had I known I could get away with wearing flip-flops and delightfully tacky Hawaiian shirts for a week at a time I'd a bought one years ago.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
The one thing I wish I’d known before buying our Airstream was-
the irresistible urge to camp once you own one.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
So true. We would rather be out in Lucy than at home, and we live three houses off the beach.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Upgrading to the international,..not really worth the upcharge, IMO.

I love it, just think I'd be just as happy with the flying cloud in the 25' FB.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
Wish I'd known about:

1. How useful the Airstream Forums are in getting straight talk and good answers.

2. How to configure the hitch correctly for maximum stability

3. How quickly any RV can take money

4. How much I'd enjoy this--it's more fun than I thought it would be, and the whole family agrees!
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Smile

1) If I had known how great AS ownership was, I would have done it in my 30's or 40's.
2) When replacing an AS toilet, always order the porcelain upgrade. It is worth the extra model and be sure and get the sprayer attachment (and I am not saying that because I am a woman, my husband thinks it is cool too).
3) Check the trailer for closely for repairs done by the previous owner. Some may be done correctly, but as in our case the previous owner had no clue what he was doing and we had to redo everything he touched. It all turned out fine, but be willing to look things over carefully because not every homespun handyman knows what they are doing.
4) Study the forums and order the service manual for the model you buy. The schematics are killer and if you have an electrical problem they will save your life. You can order them at the airstream site for $60.
5) Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's all small stuff. There will always be something to fix. It is just like a house, or a Harley. If you think you are ever going to get perfect, you are probably wrong. But you are in for a great ride.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I wish I'd have know thieves are only targeting old Airstreams.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjack View Post
The twin beds are a good choice as they allow the bedroom to be useable as a room...for resting, dressing, emailing, etc. (due to the walk-around space).
Probably true enough, but on the downside, we had twins in our last trailer and my wife always complained how difficult it was making the beds with one side against the wall.

For that reason, we specifically looked for a walk around Queen bed in the next trailer - that is what we have now and she is happier.

She did not want a queen bed with one side up against a wall.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #17
ALUMINUT

2006 22' International CCD
Radcliff , Kentucky
Pinky,
We just purchased a 2006 22' International last month, after looking at all the different AS out there this is the design that appealed to me. We found this one at a dealer in Wi. so we drove from Ky. to get it sight unseen. We spent a day going over it while the dealer made our truck tow worthy hitch, brakes all that. Have no regrets,
and have been out in it every weekend since. Love getting out of the city and away from our busy careers. When I'm not out in it, I enjoy seeing sit in my driveway as it reminds me of art. AS people are the nicest people in the world, I found this out at rest stops on our way back from Wi. Don't over-think this, just do it!
Bonnie
Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #18
Short Gal with a Big F250

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
UPDATE: I never officially got back to you all to thank you properly about all the advice. I took it all to heart - every bit of it - and ended up biting the bullet and getting an Eddie Bauer. It has every single thing I wanted in an Airstream - and I get to break it in myself. And being only 46 - I hope to work myself like crazy for the next 5 years, pay it and the truck off, sell my house and get on the road for months at a time when my 50s roll around. Thanks to everybody who took the time to respond and help me with my dream

Please spay and neuter your pets. And ADOPT, don't buy a critter. They are counting on us to do the right thing.
Pinky65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hummm. Since we bought our vintage rig at the time before the Internet went public, we had no way of knowing that there are lots of Airstreams out there for sale. However, if we had had access to information of this kind -- and if we had had the foreknowledge that a longer rig limits access to special places in the west -- we probably would have searched for a shorter Airstream.

No regrets, though. We use the Airstream and plan to continue doing so, even with its length limitation. And once we become doggie-parents again some day, we will then remind ourselves how much nicer it is to have a longer rig.

Lynn
Old 09-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Everything everyone else said... But the number one question I keep asking myself is why we took so long before purchasing our Airstream.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
25', 28', international, purchase