Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 07:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
Newbie - Factory Warr vs. Service Contract

Greetings, All!

In a few weeks (counting days and hours) will will be the new/2nd owners of a 2019 27FB!

This coach is in awesome shape, and the owner is having a few things fixed under factory warranty - which is great. We're wondering about extended warranties - especially after our neighbor (who just got their 2018 Serenity) had their fridge die on the 3rd day of a 2 week trip. (Ouch!)

We're not entirely sure when the warranty expires...or how responsive the factory would be if we're "in the middle of camping" when something comes up. On the other hand (or when the Fact. Warranty expires), the AS dealer was pushing "Northstar Towables Service Contract" with zero deductible/Diamond level....at a cost of $4,895 (which he swore was an "excellent deal").

This coach isn't nearly as complicated as a Class A. But with two AC's, Friodge. a powered awning, separate microwave, oven/range + furnace....how much could go wrong and how expensive is it to repair?

Would really appreciate anyone's insight!
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
IMHO, most extended service contracts(ESC) are not worth the money you pay for them. If it was me, I would take the money you would pay for the ESC and put it into a bank account for needed repairs. If you decide to get an ESC anyway, at least talk to someone(other than an AS salesman) who has used it and find out what is actually covered and if there are any "surprises". Good luck and travel safe!! Jim
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:49 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We are of a similar opinion as Jim. More often than not these extended warranties do not end up being cost efficient. I doubt very much if you would spend $5,000 in repairs on a 2019 27FB.

We have been avid Airstream campers for fifteen years. We have had two 25FB's, a 2005 and a 2015, in which we have camped over 2,100 nights. Over all of this time, we have replaced one refrigerator and one air conditioner to the tune of about $3,000. Most minor repairs we do ourselves.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:01 PM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Service contracts rarely pay out more than their cost. Don’t do it. It’s a dealer technique to gain another $1000+ origination commission in their pocket.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:36 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
In some cases you can go through the booklets from the different appliances that come in your trailer and find warranty extensions directly from the manufacturer where the extensions are very reasonable. I found manufacturer extensions for the air conditioner, refrigerator, stove and I may have forgotten but extensions for the water heater and furnace. In one case I found that my monitoring system panel came with a 5 year warranty which I used in year 4.

When I look at my out of pocket expenses for my trailer in almost 17 years of service, my only out of pocket expenses were for a brake assembly in one wheel that fell apart which was about $400 in expense and a cracked skylight which was about $250. Obviously I came out $$ ahead in turning that option down.

You have to look at the warranty period and cost of repair or replacement. Your two most expensive appliances are the air conditioner and the refrigerator. Is it likely that those will both fail? Not really. And even then you have to look at the fine print of the warranty and see what exclusions are written in for coverage. Just keep your trailer level when you run the fridge when the trailer is parked, provide surge protection for the electrical, EMS protection even better to prevent low voltage operation. Most problems will show up during your warranty period.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Portsmouth , Virginia
Almost 5 grand for service contract? What!

Oh H no! My 15’ International had one problem. The hot cold water mixing valve died. I replaced it for I think 60 bucks. The most important thing I was concerned with is a flat tire. I have AAA so I add RV service. 120 a year also covers all my cars and my TV. I get 100 mile tow if needed. Haven’t used it yet for my AS. Welcome to the AS family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark of SJC View Post
Greetings, All!

In a few weeks (counting days and hours) will will be the new/2nd owners of a 2019 27FB!

This coach is in awesome shape, and the owner is having a few things fixed under factory warranty - which is great. We're wondering about extended warranties - especially after our neighbor (who just got their 2018 Serenity) had their fridge die on the 3rd day of a 2 week trip. (Ouch!)

We're not entirely sure when the warranty expires...or how responsive the factory would be if we're "in the middle of camping" when something comes up. On the other hand (or wihen the Fact. Warranty expires), the AS dealer was pushing "Northstar Towables Service Contract" with zero deductible/Diamond level....at a cost of $4,895 (which he swore was an "excellent deal").

This coach isn't nearly as complicated as a Class A. But with two AC's, Friodge. a powered awning, separate microwave, oven/range + furnace....how much could go wrong and how expensive is it to repair?

Would really appreciate anyone's insight!
RidingmyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
How long is that $5000 for?
For 10 years it MIGHT be worth it. 5 years or less probably not.
Like others said put that money in a separate account in the bank.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
It is almost pure profit to the selling dealer and after market warranty companies have a terrible reputation with consumer agencies. They almost always find some way in the fine print to deny your claim. Many also require pricey “annual inspections” to keep the policy in force.

There just aren’t that many things that can go wrong that would add up to $5 Grand.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #9
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Run! Like a few before my measly comments, the actual costs of maintenance for our unit over 15 years (after warranty expiration) include one refrigerator repair and then a replacement ($1,800) and a single wheel brake mechanism failure. I got a new air conditioner last year under insurance coverage when a branch fell on it. Otherwise, all the other repairs were standard maintenance items which coverage policies do NOT include but insurers demand be done to keep the policy live.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:42 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
Extended warranties are pushed very hard by the sales people for one reason, they are highly profitable for the sales person. Most never come close to saving you the money you paid for it. Most only cover the New Years on your trailer, prior to most systems breaking. I would not recommend you buy the extended warranty.
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:57 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I believe you can transfer the original owner's Airstream Factory warranty for a fee. That's a good deal and a trip to Jackson Center is worth it. They do fantastic work. Even out of warranty service, my experience is, their level of knowledge and the available parts inventory make their prices worth it in the long run. Overall, cheaper than the dealers and much more timely service. They only work by appointment, except for emergency repair. While enroute, I have had them come out to the parking lot and repair items.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
As other have said WHAT!!
The best margin at any dealership is the service contract.
Your 2019 comes with a 3 year warranty ( I just assume it's transferable??)
With any kind of regular use, you will find out what needs replaced.

Set the $5K aside and use of it what you need down the road.

Happy Camping!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote