Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Sedona , Arizona
Newbie asks: Hidden Costs of Ownership?

Hello, new to the forum, but an avid fan. We are anticipating purchasing an airstream in the next 12-15 months, probably a new FC 25 Twin, or perhaps late model 25-28 ft range. I have been researching this site and other sources, visiting dealers, but I am wondering what the hidden costs of ownership are. I read about people waxing their trailers, winterizing, maintaining etc. Is there a rule of thumb? Say a percentage of the cost of the trailer? I am pretty handy with household maintenance (carpentry, wiring, plumbing etc.) but sometimes you need to have the expert do the work. How much can be done by a handy person? Also, I live in a sailing community and have lots of experience sailing "OPB" (other people's boats) and you know what they say about boats - hole in the water to throw money in. But boats (perhaps AS trailers too) have unique needs and because boats are "marine", you can multiple the cost x a factor of 10. How about AS's? Fussy? Easy to get along with? What can a person expect to spend on an annual basis to keep their AS in ship-shape fashion? Love to hear the wisdom of the crowd.
thanks/steve
sandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Yours, is a "how blue is the sky today?" question.

If you've owned a boat for a spell, you can pretty much figure ownership in an AS will pretty much parallel.

Was your boat a Sea Ray or was it one at the opposite end of that spectrum? And as AS's age (just like Sea Ray's), you can expect your list of "projects" to grow.

I'm into my second year of owning a new AS, and am somewhat handy. To the extent that I would probably rather take care of something I know I can repair, rather than taking it to the dealership, even though our AS is still in warranty.

Hope I haven't muddied your waters too much with this answer.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Retired, "sort of"

2015 25' International
Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Tumajin Send a message via Skype™ to Tumajin
Steve,
Welcome to the AS forum and I hope family. Hidden costs are not really hidden IMHO. If you purchase new, you will have a 2 year factory warranty which will cover any non routine maintenance problems. Routine maintenance is spelled out in the owners manual and includes washing, waxing, inspecting, checking, and what I call "oil can" maintenance. I do all this myself. For the annual running gear inspection and wheel bearing repack, I turn to the AS dealer. Typically this will cost about $125 per axle. After your monthly payment to the bank for the RV loan, the second recurring cost is storage, unless you live on property which has the room for self store, assuming no CCRs that prevent RV storage. Insurance is needed for collision/comprehensive. Your tow vehicle insurance should cover other state vehicular insurance requirement while towing. Insurance is the third recurring monthly cost. Annual license fees for the trailer are needed and will vary by state. Airstreams are not quite "trouble-free" but if you maintain them, trouble is minimized and you realize pride of ownership.
Tumajin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I agree...having owed an SOB and an Airstream, I don't think the upkeep needs have been markedly different...that is, if one's sense of pride in ownership is consistent... The systems found in an AS are basically the same as those found in all other RVs...there might be some additional maintenance because it's got an aluminum exterior ... at the same time, SOBs get waxed as well. Vintage Airstreams get polished and that's something you don't see happening to vintage SOBs (if they are still on the road, that is). You have to insure, license, store all RVs, so that's a wash. Our sky is very very blue, though, and we would much rather put our blood, sweat and tears into an Airstream!

Forgot to welcome you to the Forums!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Here, indoor storage costs about $3,000 a year. That's the single best thing to keep any RV fresh, dry, and clean. That's only $30,000 every 10 years.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Let's not forget about "accessorizing" and "upgrading" your rig, including but not limited to:
  • bike racks
  • upgraded tires/wheels
  • chargers/converters/inverters
  • battery systems
  • solar systems
  • Dinosaur board for furnace
  • bedding/mattresses
  • etc., etc.
the list goes on and on. It really becomes a hobby. I estimate I spend almost $1K a year on some new do-dads, excluding ordinary maintenance.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
No doubt the single best thing to preserve any RV is to store it under cover when not in use, because the biggest upkeep cost over time will be maintaining the shell clear coat, sealants, gaskets, plastic/fiberglass covers and vents, blinds/curtains, and tires. All subject to weathering. Inspect and treat quarterly for corrosion of metal. Wash away dirt and salt spray after using. Keep the interior clean, winterize as needed, watch for mice/insects, tighten loose items, and it will hold up very well.

Give it good care and you will greatly reduce maintenance costs.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
excellent points made above...
but (in addition to) our 'hidden costs' were the frequency we camped

when you own an Airstream, camping in it is like an addiction
winter, spring, summer or fall, all you got to do is- hook it up and go...

(apologies to James Taylor)
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
I'm finding all kinds of hidden costs -

A large increase in BBQ and beer spending because my buddies are demanding I bring the trailer to games as home base for tailgating season.

A similar increase in interior restoration fees - they want ice makers, direct TV, high def televisions, blenders, etc whereas my priorities had tended more to camping.

I'm also noticing an increase in park entry fees, fuel, and mileage on our SUV - we're spending much more time on family vacation now that it's so easy to go.

So I've got the good kind of hidden costs - all related to the fact we are actually using the trailer...
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
2002 ASCL 31 Foot Maintenance Expenses

The following are my expenses since purchase of my 2002 ASCL 31 Foot travel trailer in June of 2001, a total of 11 years and over 35,000 miles. Included in the expenses are some related to the onboard Onan Microquiet genset which would not be a part of a "normal" Airstream. The coach has been stored outside since purchase.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream Maintenance Through 08-16-12.pdf (19.3 KB, 619 views)
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Hidden cost? A drop to 65% usual fuel efficiency on the tow vehicle when towing... though that would be more expensive on a SOB trailer

Quote:
I live in a sailing community...(Bristol, Rhode Island)
I see a hidden cost: Living near the water on a spit of land on a Bay with an outdoor parked airstream...

Salt spray, the micro-droplets off saltwater foam that has most of the water evaporated out of it will carry on the wind pretty far inland and drop out in, and, or get activated by the morning & evening dews on large cool metal surfaces. Now compound that by 500 repetitions every year with the brine getting condensed in the nooks and crannies. Oh - combine that with acid rain and we've locked in a dew problems in the future (aside from filliform corrosion, etc.) but that is probably for a future owner. Just saying, for your locale that is a hidden cost.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Your biggest cost for the first two years of ownership of a "new out of the factory" Airstream will be the depreciation. That is why I would recommend you buy a 2 year old unit that has been well cared for or little used. Many people with little camping experience buy them and then have a change of heart or health and sell them at very reasonable prices. The next best thing would be to buy a left over from last year that has not been titled. You still get the warren-tee but save one year's depreciation. Depending on the area you are living, outdoor storage could cost you $75 to $200 per month. Winterizing it each year can be cheap if you do it yourself.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I was going to say that storage fees are the "worst" hidden cost. But it is well worthwhile having the TT under cover and with electrical (I use a dehumidifier here along the Gulf Coast). Building an enclosed shelter at the house is a good idea, especially if one can combine that with garaging the cars. They'll all last longer with a great deal less work (and $$$).

Great addition withidl . . there's just nothing like hard numbers to work from.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Sedona , Arizona
Hidden costs- thanks!

Many thanks to all who replied. I am going to search out some storage options locally. Happened to be in Phoenix recently and saw a large RV shed storage facility out by Local Motors (my buddy's desert rally car company) and Bondurant raceway. I am thinking part of the year it would be in storage out west, part of the year here on the east coast. Great advice, keep sending out the good info. regards/steve
sandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Bothell , Washington
Not an Airstream owner myself (yet), but I can share my experience owning a 2003 Class-A motorhome.

You will find the need to become somewhat proficient at basic maintenance, everything from finishes and cleaning, to electrical and plumbing. None of it is terribly difficult, and you could always find someone to do the work for you (for a fee).

Trailers benefit from a somewhat smaller cost/time footprint as you're not having to deal with engine and drivetrain issues (although you likely will for your tow vehicle). As noted earlier, costs associated with storage and accessories will likely be the biggest factors with a new-ish trailer. As with anything you can prioritize your costs based on immediate versus long-term needs, so it becomes more manageable than you may first realize.

"More than $0.00" was the advice I was given when I asked the question of ongoing maintenance costs.
BlackBirdCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Other costs that you might not have considered…

An Airstream comes pretty well-equipped if you buy new, but there's lots of gear that you might need, for "outfitting," from wheel chocks to dishes and towels. Some of the "lifestyle" gear you can borrow from home, like folding chairs, barbecue grill, dishes, towels, bedding, at least until you get tired of always loading/unloading it and decide you need a separate set for the trailer. Most of the "technical gear" like the aforementioned wheel chocks, you'll have to buy or scrounge or build.

If you plan to go boondocking, then you'll probably want a generator, sooner or later.

If you buy used, some of that stuff may be included in the sale, especially if the person selling isn't looking to get a bigger/smaller/newer model.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Here, indoor storage costs about $3,000 a year. That's the single best thing to keep any RV fresh, dry, and clean. That's only $30,000 every 10 years.

We found covered storage for $150/month and if we pay a full year, we get 2 months for free. So, our annual covered storage cost is only $1500.00. So wish our HOA would let us keep our new AS but, no such luck. Our insurance costs, BTW will run us $63 per month with $500 deductible.

Since we just purchased a new AS last Thursday, our initial costs for the maiden 2,000 mile voyage are going to be the hitch, brake control, new bedding, pillows, some new kitchen/bath "stuff", eventually new Michelin tires, new mattress and going to the Factory on our way home to get the full awning package put on for a mere $1500. So, yes ~ I'm feeling the initial investment and payouts are big right now but, when it's all decorated and such, it will be routine maintance. We hope!!! Good luck
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl View Post
The following are my expenses since purchase of my 2002 ASCL 31 Foot travel trailer in June of 2001, a total of 11 years and over 35,000 miles. Included in the expenses are some related to the onboard Onan Microquiet genset which would not be a part of a "normal" Airstream. The coach has been stored outside since purchase.
OK, being a total Newbie, I am impressed and also nervous about your maintanence list. What are "Piss Ants"? And your AS got broken into? Not sure I'll know how to do all the things that are on your list if our AS will need it. Yikes! Not nervous about your total, that seemed pretty resonable.
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
OK, being a total Newbie, I am impressed and also nervous about your maintanence list. What are "Piss Ants"? And your AS got broken into? Not sure I'll know how to do all the things that are on your list if our AS will need it. Yikes! Not nervous about your total, that seemed pretty resonable.
Never actually heard the term "piss ants" used to describe actual ants before! Where I grew up, "pissant" is a derrogatory term for an annoying but otherwise insignificant person. Hard to put up with, but hardly worth the effort of sending them on their way.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
Travel Bird, "Piss Ants" are those very, very small black or rust brown ants that you almost need a magnifying glass to see. I have worked in the oil field as a Rough Neck and the term was widely used to describe mundane chores as follows: “You guys go piss ant those (items) over here”; sort of like a bunch of little ants diligently working to dismantle and carry off a grasshopper.

As to the broken window, some years ago I had the AS parked in a relatives front yard in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on Lewis Ave. I had gone to sleep in the rear while my older son was sleeping on the gaucho with his head at the curb side. My younger son, who is a 2nd degree karate black belt, was taking a shower. All lights were out (from the outside the AS looked to be unoccupied) when my older son heard noise at the door, but in his sleep thought it was just me doing something outside. A short time later he heard the POP of the tempered window next to the door by his head shatter. As he awakened he realized that an arm was reaching through the broken window by his head and feeling for the door locks. He grabbed that arm but was not able to hold on as the burglar jerked it out and ran up the sidewalk and out of sight. My older son then awakened me and the police were called.

What the burglar had done was try to pry the door open using a screw driver (he left it behind) which left about 15 “dings” in the edge of the door. Failing to get the door to yield, he then used the screw driver to pry up on the bottom center of the tempered glass window by the door causing it to fail and leaving a small “ding” in the aluminum frame.

My showering younger black belt son was oblivious to it all; had a chance to use his talent and blew it; never there when you need them.

I was able to remove the door “dings” so that unless one is REALLY looking for them they do not show, and Airstream, JacksonCenter, overnited a window which was simple to replace.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote