Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2021, 09:27 AM   #1

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Hartselle , Alabama
New Pottery Barn Special Addition. How much should I actually Pay?

I have a 2019 Tommy Bahama 27 currently and looking at the new PB. MSRP is $147,625. How much should I actually pay for it? Will dealer give me better deal if I trade? How much is my Tommy Bahama worth to sell privately and a fair trade in value?
Smartin1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:33 AM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard 👍

One hundred ninety nine dollars 'merican.

FOR REAL...I have no idea, they are all too$$$$ for us these daze.

Bob
🇺🇸

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartin1979 View Post
I have a 2019 Tommy Bahama 27 currently and looking at the new PB. MSRP is $147,625. How much should I actually pay for it? Will dealer give me better deal if I trade? How much is my Tommy Bahama worth to sell privately and a fair trade in value?
Why would you want the PB 28 when you have the TB 27? Curious to understand? The TB model is pretty nice; for around $15K-$20K you could easily upgrade to a split table, with wraparound seating, add vessel sink and remodel the bath if you want, or do just about anything including new curtains!
The PB model is very pricy, has cloth interior and cloth curtains (dirt magnet??); It looks nice but all electric...your TB has propane options for fridge and water heater...many folks who had propane, wish they still have the propane options...just curious on your comparison thinking?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:17 AM   #4

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Hartselle , Alabama
It’s mostly the layout for us. Having the couch and the table separate. But you are correct we could remodel but with the hatch in Timmy Bahama we it limits what you can do. And we never use propane so that wouldn’t be a big deal for us.
Smartin1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I think if you want it you should get it. This year, I’d expect to pay a premium. If someone out there is willing to pay MSRP, that’s what they’ll go for.

But this year you can probably offload your Tommy Bahama for a premium as well. As with trading in a car, you’ll get more for it selling privately but it will be more convenient to trade it in (I’m sure the dealer will make a killing on it).
Old 07-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Some have posted still being able to get 10-12% off MSRP on ordered trailers from some dealers, with a long wait. If you got a good deal on your TB you might be able to get close to what you paid for it, if you sell it yourself now.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartin1979 View Post
It’s mostly the layout for us. Having the couch and the table separate. But you are correct we could remodel but with the hatch in Timmy Bahama we it limits what you can do. And we never use propane so that wouldn’t be a big deal for us.
Makes sense; we were going for the 27' twin originally, because the wife wanted the larger closet and microwave separate from the oven. We did not know the FC model of the 28' had 2 more overhead storage cabinets since we had only been in the International models of the 28'; we still objected to the long lounge in the 27' like we had in our 2 previous 25' models...just not comfy for watching TV or with guests. Like the 28' layout also. But, as I mentioned, time in the 28' has helped us learn we needed firmer foam, and still, I think modifying a 27' or a 28' would be cheaper then going for a new PB model...the killer couch to me, is in the 30'Classic, but that won't work in our 28'...so, we talk, and dream, and camp with what we have! Good luck and hope you end up with something we will envy!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 07-30-2021, 10:32 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
FOR REAL...I have no idea, they are all too$$$$ for us these daze. -

Ain't that the truth!
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
I think if you want it you should get it. This year, I’d expect to pay a premium. If someone out there is willing to pay MSRP, that’s what they’ll go for.

But this year you can probably offload your Tommy Bahama for a premium as well. As with trading in a car, you’ll get more for it selling privately but it will be more convenient to trade it in (I’m sure the dealer will make a killing on it).

Remember, trade in saves sales tax$$ in some states, so you need to figure that in if you sell on your own.
Carl n Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I was shocked:
1. The new Pottery Barn AS 28 is around $145K, while
2. A Flying Cloud AS 28 is around $102K.
That's some $43K upsell for all the Pottery Barn froufrou.
And it doesn't even come gold plated!!!
Thank you but I'll keep my $43K and spend it elsewhere.
To each his own. If the Pottery Barn appeals, go for it.
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:49 PM   #11
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
The new one looks very nice, but it would only appeal to a certain type of camper, one that always has shore power, is never out of range of a cell tower, and all the pale colors and fabrics are of dubious compatibility with many "dirty" outdoor activities where owners and pets pick up dust and dirt - but it does look very splendid. It would not suit most National Park or more out of the way campsites, "horses for courses" as they say.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:58 PM   #12
Site Team

, Minnesota
OK.

I understand the Tommy Bahama. Tommy Bahama has a distinctive brand image and style.

Pottery Barn? Someone needs to explain that to me.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:10 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
The Pottery Barn Airstream looks pretty nice, save the Pottery Barn advertisements all over it. But, obviously it is the new kid on the block...and usually that means retail or tiny discounts. You might try to negotiate other things into the deal - extra length of warrantee, services, storage. Sometimes they are willing to give a real break on those things.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Markdoane, the same generation that can explain Pottery Barn to you is the same group of people you would need to explain Tommy Bahama or Pendleton to.

Different strokes.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
I was shocked:
1. The new Pottery Barn AS 28 is around $145K, while
2. A Flying Cloud AS 28 is around $102K.
That's some $43K upsell for all the Pottery Barn froufrou.
And it doesn't even come gold plated!!!
Thank you but I'll keep my $43K and spend it elsewhere.
To each his own. If the Pottery Barn appeals, go for it.
I have to agree. It does look nice. But for an extra 43K? Yikes.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
We ran into 2 different campers a week ago with new 27' GT models that had them modified! One had the AS Oregon folks add the wraparound seating, and split dinning table, new vessel sink in the bath with Corian to match kitchen and 6 drawer cabinet under the TV...very nice. He said he paid $15K for the modifications...then we met a couple from FL in Alpine WY, who had theirs modified adding new curtains, washer/dryer in hall closet, and same bath modification. She did not say how much they had spent, but said they also had a new 33 Classic in FL they use in winter. ..so, not the $$ with many folks!
Old 07-31-2021, 09:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I would never trade in an RV unless you really, really don't care about $$$.
The dealer will give you low auction. Instead of thinking, "I can make a sale." he'll be thinking, "I can make a big profit on both units."
The classified here are viewed a lot. Also, RV Trader gets many views.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:35 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
It’s your money and your life. If you can afford it, you should do what makes you happy. Life is short.

We’ve traded two Airstreams in at Airstream Adventures in WA/ID. Both times we felt that we were treated fairly.

However, we all know this year is different. Manufacturers can not produce enough to satisfy demand. Unfortunately, my best guess is that this will definitely impact discounts on new. On the plus side, dealers need good trade-ins to satisfy demand.

Talk to a couple of reputable Airstream dealers and see what they offer. You can always walk away.

Best of luck.
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:10 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
La Mesa , California
I am not sure why people seems to consistently need to judge other people's decisions or taste. Your question was never "should I do this" or "what would you do?" it was simply how much discount could I get and how much resale in my current model?

With times being tough right now relating to inventory, wait times and any discount off MSRP, I would say your best bet is to go to the dealer and discuss options and what they can do for you. If you liked your TB dealer and felt they did you right then start there, but I would also inquire at 1 or 2 other dealers to compare what they could offer. Perhaps with a long wait time you could get a better deal? It is hard to know but certainly worth asking and making sure you are getting the best deal for you and the choices you wish to make with your current and possibly future model. Good luck!
DustyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
GAINESVILLE , GA
I’m glad I heard about the Pottery Barn edition here before actually meeting someone who bought one. This way I can nod my head like “yea, I know what your talking about” rather than laughing my a$$ off thinking the owner was just jerking my chain.
Spaggs is online now   Reply With Quote