Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2014, 05:54 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
That is not true. It doesn't work that way in Alabama or Indiana or Florida.
I would take your word for it, but I'm an engineer and have no problem with doing my own research. State laws and regulations are all public records and you can go online look up the DMV requirements in any state.

If there was any question about the TTL, I'd look up the legal requirements in both my domicile state and the puchase state, so see if there was a legal requirement that the dealer collect TTL from out-of-state purchasers. Or even in-state purchasers.

In every state where I've ever purchased a vehicle (three states so far, Missisippi, Louisiana, Oklahoma), there was no legal requirement that the dealer collect TTL and handle the registration for me, only that the TTL be paid to the domicile state (not the state where it was purchased). So I handled it myself to make sure it was done, and done for the right price. But I haven't purchased vehicles in all 50 states, either.

There may be states where there is a law requiring the tax be paid in the state where the transaction was performed, regardless of the purchaser's domicile state. But I'd always look it up before visiting the dealer, so that I know for sure, rather than taking anyone's word for it.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Did you read my post?
I ain't good enough to make this stuff up.
We all already know you're smarter than me-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:00 PM   #23

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Did you read my post?
I ain't good enough to make this stuff up.
We all already know you're smarter than me-
Yes, I read your post before responding to it. And no, I'm not smarter than you. It's not a competition.

It's just that your experiences and mine are so completely different on this one topic that people ought to read both sides of the issue— and do their own research before making a purchase in order to avoid surprises.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:12 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Berkeley , California
Ok, current dealerships is saying their lowest price is 39k, or about 11% off list. it seems to me that at this time if year they should be able to go lower. I'll take your advice and look at other dealerships, although I'd like to stay loyal to the one closest to us.
ViscousCycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:26 AM   #25

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscousCycle View Post
Ok, current dealerships is saying their lowest price is 39k, or about 11% off list. it seems to me that at this time if year they should be able to go lower. I'll take your advice and look at other dealerships, although I'd like to stay loyal to the one closest to us.
After you check with other dealerships, if you can get a better price, then go back to your local dealership and ask if they can match that price. Chances are that they can, if they don't want to lose the sale.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The main thing is to be clear on the sales tax issue before you lay your money down.
If it's not as it should be, walk away.
Not every salesman or dealer is knowledgeable or honest.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A few years ago I purchased a used AS from a friend in Kansas. We live in NJ. My plan was to complete the purchase in Kansas and get a Kansas temp. tag in order to complete our vacation travel and bring it home to NJ where we would ultimately register it ( and pay sales tax to NJ). Kansas allows for the temp tag for a very reasonable fee. The snag came with our insurance company who would not provide coverage UNTIL it was titled and registered here in NJ. So we went about things differently to be in compliance. I have seen temp tags issued in many states but certainly cannot speak for all. I suppose we could always purchase from a dealer in Delaware ( if there is one) and pay no sales tax up front ?????

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Mississippi does not recognize/acknowledge temporary plates.
A Mississippi resident must tag/title/license a vehicle and pay sales tax within 5 business days of purchase.
All a temporary plate here shows is an expiration date a week from purchase. The ones that just say "Tag Applied For" are not recognized and a trooper or local cop could write you a ticket for no tag.
That being said, the tags on my truck 'n' trailer are expired. I will get the truck tag tomorrow. I will get the trailer tag next payday in two weeks. They don't actually charge a late fee until the 15th of the month. Several years ago I just asked the lady straight out when is a late added, and she told me. Since then I've been a little late every time. I've driven around with the expired plates and had cops follow me but do nothing. They must have figured I was gonna get it renewed soon.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
If your budget allows ... skip up to at least the 20FC (used if you can find)as you will not have to pay for the extras you are considering; they are part of the upgrade to FC. If you spend some time inside, the 20 is huge by comparison to what you have been looking at...still able to be towed by the same category of tow vehicles. Also it sounds like they are hanging you out to dry on the price of the tow package.

Most flooring / financing institutions will require the selling dealer to send the title application MSO directly to the motor vehicle department in the city / county where the purchaser resides. If you arrange for alternate financing or pay cash, there may be some flexibility on that point allowing you to hand carry the paperwork.

Different jurisdictions may consider your purchase as personal property and tax it accordingly ... others see it as a set fee for simply licensing. In either case, the entities all vie to get your money and don't want you to cut them out of the picture.YMMV
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote