Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Katy , Texas
Need Help Deciding on Airstream

After looking at nearly every brand of 5th wheel and travel trailer on the market I stumbled across AS. I immediately realized that this was what I was looking for all along. I'm extremely interested in buying an airstream and camping across the country. I'm self-employed and own several successful online companies that allow me the freedom of countless hobbies (otherwise I'd go crazy). I have a Tundra 5.7 liter V8 and I think it is capable of handling the weight of most AS responsibly.

I'm really trying to ease into this with something that is usable and livable. I'm not terribly interested in spending $100k at this point. The thought of boondocking with solar is very appealing to me. I've looked at nearly every available AS for sale today and I've come up with a list of about 15 I like. Barring the new ones at a dealership, these are some of my favorites:

1973 26' Airstream Travel Trailer

2005 Airstream Classic , Clearwater FL - 102358371 - RVTraderonline.com

1980 Airstream Excella, Travel Trailers RV For Sale in Corona, California | Southwest Coaches - Corona | RVT.com - 58892

As you might've noticed - given the examples above - I am struggling with spending a boatload of money on a newer model or spending less money on an older model with the understanding that there will be upgrades and fixes required.

Any suggestions on the 1973 model? It seems like a lot of work was done on this AS. I've read this forum quite a bit on AS made in this era and it seems like floor rot is a big problem. If there's anyone in Harris County willing to ride up there with me to check on the 1973 AS I'll buy lunch (and beer) and pick you up - provided you know what you're talking about. :-)

Any help by anyone else here is welcomed. I'm very new to this, but I look forward to meeting like-minded adventurers.

Thanks!
Smith77494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
Have you checked the classifieds here? There are a lot of Airstreams offered there. Personally, I think that 1973 29' Ambassador is way high. It looks like the car lot has taken the trailer on consignment, and either the owner has some overblown idea of what the trailer is worth, or the dealer is adding on huge consigning fees.
The Caravel is more than I would expect, as well, though strangely enough, the 2005 seems to be priced more within reason.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Ours is a 70' model. It had been taken care of and everything worked in it (and still does) - when we got it about five years ago. But like I mentioned, new carpet was in place etc. ..well we paid close to 14K for it but it was worth it. Just above all else, you make sure before purchase - that everything including water and plumbing work right.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I think the '73 is pretty nice looking- polished, nicely remodeled, etc. But it probably needs new axles unless it has had that done already. If it is as nice as it looks, with all systems functioning perfectly, weathertight with no leaks, no rear-end sag, etc., then I'd give it a serious look if that's the era/look you're after. The '05 looks really nice, too. Good luck!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
I think the '73 is pretty nice looking- polished, nicely remodeled, etc. But it probably needs new axles unless it has had that done already. If it is as nice as it looks, with all systems functioning perfectly, weathertight with no leaks, no rear-end sag, etc., then I'd give it a serious look if that's the era/look you're after. The '05 looks really nice, too. Good luck!
That 73 won't have a grey waste water tank originally installed. I would find out if they had one installed.
What I don't see is any mention of the sub floor/frame repairs be repaired.
Whenever I see an ad for any unit of this vintage w/ hardwood flooring installed and no mention of sub-floor repaired I would be wary of it. Hardwood flooring can hide some serious floor rot.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Hi
I cant really tell from the angle but those axles look "iffy". Just know that any vintage type trailer needs a bit more than just lipstick. Check all the doors windows gaskets vents acess doors etc. Some times those leaks can go undetected for years. Then you will have a big renovation on your hands. 70's trailers are among the most common on the market. Just do a ebay and CR search. Just so you know those axles can go for $600 and up a piece! Are you handy? Do you just want to purchase and camp? Maybe a little fixer upper? I started my shell off full monty almost 2 years ago, still working on it!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Mobile , Alabama
Don't know about the price, but the 2005 looks good to me. Good size fridge with seperate freezer appeals to me. That is what we have in our '84 Excella. We use the freezer alot. Also, the seperate shower is the way to go IMHO. We paid $5000.00 for ours three years ago. We replaced the tires and greased the axles, but everything else was in working order. We've had WAY more than $5000.00 worth of fun in it and hope to have much more in the years to come!
WBCCI #10360
Member Southeastern Camping Unit
Bettye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I'm biased...but the 25 Classic looks to be the best overall value if you want to pay and go.

You would want to get up on the roof and check all vents, fans, and skylight for leaks also rear "trunk" carpet all storage compartments. windows and seams.

Also plan on new tires if it still has the OEM's. Same for the batteries.

Make sure EVERYTHING werks.

Looks a lot like ours 'cept for the rear bed.

We love the size and have 'docked with four two leggers and two four leggers and still had room for a good time.

oops....no rear trunk, but still ck real good for leaks.

Bob
Old 03-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The 2005 is likely the least risky purchase. The 25' is a very popular size and the Classics have great features standard. Much of the depreciation is gone.

Travel trailers are prone to water leaks and plywood floor rotting, so is this one. The Airstream has lots of exposed metal making it susceptible to corrosion. Look closely in, under, and around the trailer for these problems. Some corrosion is reality, decide if its too severe to fix or maintain. Floor rot is expensive to fix.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I also think that the 2005 Classic is the best way to go here, especially for full-timing. Haggle down the price, and then pay for the upgrades (solar, more batteries) that you want. That's easier than paying to fix the issues lurking in a nearly-40-year-old trailer.

Like Doug and Bob said, this is a very handy size and a well-finished trailer.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Welcome to the Forums. The 25' looks very nice. But, I would take months looking and ask a ton of questions on this very resourceful forum. Good luck!!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Trailer

There is an 89 Excella 25' advertised on this forum for $10,800 that has lots of upgrades and looks to be in absolutely excellent condition and is, IMHO, a STEAL at that price. Take a look. I would buy it in a minute if I hadn't already dumped a lot of money in to my 85.
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
If I was in your shoes I would give the most serious consideration to the 25. Much less risk. I couldn't buy an Airstream new but we knew what we wanted and waited for the right unit to become available. Best of luck in your search.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dear Smith - you said "interested in camping across the country".

Didn't hear anything about woodworking skills or being "Mr. Handyman" around the house.

That makes the 2005 - or even something newer - a NO BRAINER.

The problem with fulltiming is that you have to LIVE IN your Airstream... and if you find out post purchase that you need major repairs or even the full monte? Even assuming you can go to the factory and git-er-dun in 10 days or so it would still be a pain in the neck and the wallet.

INSPECT ANYTHING YOU BUY - even new if it's sat on the dealer lot for a couple of months.

Happy Trails, Paula
Old 03-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #15

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Katy , Texas
Responses

Wow! Thanks for all the help! I went and looked at 3 different AS today. The 1973 makes me pretty nervous. I looked at a 2010 model and a 2012 model. I think we're going to keep looking for a good deal.

I will keep you updated!

Thanks,
J
Smith77494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
And in addition to the above I would recommend the idea that whatever you buy you may not keep very long. Not because the coach is "a problem" but because you and yours have a much better idea of what size, floorplan and amenities are preferred with some experience.

Expect, for example that anything less than 15,000-btu A/C unit in a 23' or larger is really not up to Texas summer heat (especially if parked in sunlight). So -- as with what follows -- there are immediate trailer supplies and/or necessities that will come up with any coach bought.

Between now and trailer purchase, go ahead and order up a PRO-PRIDE hitch, a MAXBRAKE controller, and set aside enough for new axles (year dependent) and a disc brake retrofit. See threads on LED running lights as well as LED brake/signal lights (buy once TT purchased). (Same for 7-way harness, safety chains and breakaway switch on older units).

Lynx Levelers, Rotochoks, Sewer Solution, etc. Dedicated torque wrench, highest quailty digital air gauge (tire pressure), etc. Pro quality fire extinguisher[s], CO, LP, Smoke alarms. Weather hazard radio.

Locate who in your town does trailer alignments (maybe whom you have install the new axles if required) and, IMO, new coach batteries (brand, type,size, cabling, etc).

Texas requires a safety inspection (road safety) that a trailer service facility can do.

Everything you can do to cover the TT needs for safe, legal compliance with new, better, brighter as concerns on-the-road performance should be first on the list.

And a new set of LT-spec tires with CENTRAMATIC balancers.

IOW, some homework off to the side when trailer gazing induces the thousand yard stare.

There are no end of well-done threads around here of which this is a good starter example.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith77494 View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the help! I went and looked at 3 different AS today. The 1973 makes me pretty nervous. I looked at a 2010 model and a 2012 model. I think we're going to keep looking for a good deal.

I will keep you updated!

Thanks,
J
The very best place to LOOK is at an Airstream RALLY - Most people love to show of their trailers and will give you a tour underscoring what they like or don't like. Check the rally section and see if you can drop in, talk and learn.

Texas even has an Airstream Only park!

Happy hunting. Paula
Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #18

1997 25' Safari
Maitland , Florida
Any interest?

Any interest in a 1997 25' Safari? We are thinking of selling ours and it's in truly beautiful condition. We will be placing an ad soon on this site but feel free to contact me. Our unit has a front couch and 2 rear twins. We ripped out the carpet and installed a wood-look vinyl floor. All systems are in perfect order. This may sound weird but our toilet has never even seen solid waste if you know what I mean! The clearcoat on the top has degraded in areas and we have a small dent in the rear bumper that's not part of the actual body. We LOVE our Safari but are giving it up in order to buy a park model to place on a condo RV site we own on the east coast of FL. Email if you want more info.
bassetlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Post her right here in the Classifieds, shouldn't take long.

Good luck with your sale.

Bob...the PWD lover.