Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
HOUSTON , Texas
Need advice on buying new AS trailer

Am getting ready to start requesting quotes from dealers. Have visited dealers and have a good understanding of the different models, interior colors and add-ons. Have read so many of the postings here on the Forums with advice on soliciting written quotes and read many good postings addressing the range of discounts off MSRP that can realistically be expected.

Preference is 27 foot Flying Cloud or Globetrotter and because I am in Texas I feel that I need the 2 AC option. I have constructed a database of trailers that are on dealer lots mainly in southern states by going through the links for AS dealers because these are generally the dealers with trailers with 2 ACs and would be reasonable to travel to if purchased from them. I recognize that the ideal situation is to gain the best price from the closest dealer for warranty service.

What I have not been able to determine from the many postings on this site is whether the best discount to MSRP is obtained from buying a trailer from dealer inventory or by placing an order and waiting the four months (according to the local dealer) for delivery. I would really appreciate guidance on this specific subject of ordering versus buying out of inventory.

Also, are there other buying strategies that I should be aware of?

I really appreciate all of the advice contained in this forum and the general helpfulness of AS owners.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

John1048
John1048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
I don’t know for sure, but I suspect you couldn’t find as good s deal on a Globetrotter, because it’s a new model. We found our best deal on a unit that had been at the dealer for a few months, and that was in December.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to Air Forums and soon to the Airstream Owners Club. It sounds like you have done a great job researching the Airstream model line and have a target trailer that would suit your needs.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could just know the price of the trailer, know it was a fair price, and know it is the same price our neighbors pay?

I read here a 12% discount from MSRP is not unreasonable. I agree the Globetrotter new model might even command a premium over MSRP because of demand.

If you expanded your search to a gently used trailer you would enjoy a significant discount over new. A good dealer should be able to locate a model and interior configuration you want on the used market.

Good luck in your purchase process. Getting several dealer quotes keeps the playing field level.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Price to pay

20 % off of MSRP or find another dealer. Ask them to also throw in the WD hitch to seal the deal. Worked for me. It only took 2 phone calls and 10 minutes to complete purchase. Yes, I traveled from North Carolina to New Jersey to gladly take delivery, but we made a nice trip out of it. Also, plan on spending the night at dealership to check all systems and have everything you find unacceptable fixed before you leave for home. The dealer we purchased from was excellent. Great price, no BS when doing paperwork, and took care of couple of minor concerns.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:56 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
You can buy used at reasonable price... and then you will find out if you like this hobby. Just sayin'....

Our 'First" Airstream is a 1999 Excella, 34' long.. purchased 5 years ago for $19k. Added about $6k of upgrades, repairs, etc.. Nice.. just nice... see picture in the Avatar..

Of course this is not a trailer some folks 'prefer'.. but hit the classifieds, etc.. that will give you an idea of depreciation, etc.. Our Excella was around $70k new in 1999.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Conroe , Texas
thoughts on a/c

I've never bought a new Airstream so I can't help with that but also being from TX, I can offer my view on a/c.

We have had (2) 25 ft Airstreams. The single a/c unit does fine unless you're parked in direct sun. The second unit would be nice for a rapid cool down. The extra 2 ft might add a bit of a/c requirement. I expect the newer insulation might be better than the thin fiberglass in ours.

The extra condensate drain might be a small issue depending on where you park.

Were I buying again, I would give a slight nod to the second unit but mostly for having redundancy in case one goes out on a trip. That happened to a friend and was a big annoyance and certainly cost them more ("I don't care what it costs.....") as it happened in August.
wrhnco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
My experience: I waited until the fall/early winter to shop for a new AS and then bought one that had been on the dealer's lot since the previous June, that the dealer had bought at last June's price before the annual AS price increase, and that the dealer wanted to sell (most likely to stop the dealer's interest charges on the unit --- see below). As it had been purchased before the AS annual price increase, the dealer had less money in it than the then current price of the same unit --- and could sell it for less than if the dealer had to order it. Net result --- I bought the AS at somewhere between 20 to 25% off then current MSRP. For many reasons, the time to buy an AS is in Nov-Dec, not May-June, and to shop for one that's been sitting on the dealer's lot for a while that the dealer wants to sell.

Are you familiar with what's known as a dealer's "floor plan," basically the interest that a dealer has to pay on financed but unsold units sitting on the dealer's lot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retail_floorplan

Often, the first one or two months of a unit's purchase loan is interest-free, but substantial interest begins to be charged thereafter, giving the dealer substantial incentive to move units off his/her lot quickly, particularly if a unit has gone unsold for months.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1048 View Post
Am getting ready to start requesting quotes from dealers. Have visited dealers and have a good understanding of the different models, interior colors and add-ons. Have read so many of the postings here on the Forums with advice on soliciting written quotes and read many good postings addressing the range of discounts off MSRP that can realistically be expected.

Preference is 27 foot Flying Cloud or Globetrotter and because I am in Texas I feel that I need the 2 AC option. I have constructed a database of trailers that are on dealer lots mainly in southern states by going through the links for AS dealers because these are generally the dealers with trailers with 2 ACs and would be reasonable to travel to if purchased from them. I recognize that the ideal situation is to gain the best price from the closest dealer for warranty service.

What I have not been able to determine from the many postings on this site is whether the best discount to MSRP is obtained from buying a trailer from dealer inventory or by placing an order and waiting the four months (according to the local dealer) for delivery. I would really appreciate guidance on this specific subject of ordering versus buying out of inventory.

Also, are there other buying strategies that I should be aware of?

I really appreciate all of the advice contained in this forum and the general helpfulness of AS owners.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

John1048

I had the same question of order vs on-the-lot pricing when we bought ours. Our experience though was that the dominant price factor was the top five largest dealers in the country (all on the east/west coasts) get so many more trailers that they give the best deals - and whether on the lot or ordering you got the same price.

A smaller dealer even stated that he had to sell at a higher price because he only could get a limited volume and he had to make his profit on those few trailers where the larger dealers will deal more.

Don’t stop looking until you have a few quotes of 20% off - and be ready to travel (or have it shipped) - and you will save thousands
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #9
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
At this time of the year most larger dealers will be getting few if any more 2018 models. According to a salesman I talked to yesterday the new models will be about 4% higher (depending on model).

So if you are thinking of ordering you will most likely be getting a 2019 model. Of course, there are always some exceptions but it might be better to see if you can find something on a dealer's lot unless paying a higher price for a 2019 of your specific choice is worth the cost penalty.

FWIW!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
I bought used but from the various reading, etc - sounds like you should get close to 20% off MSRP. Recognize that a good number of people buying new and posting on this web site have issues - seems QC at factory has come down a lot since they went into higher production levels. Also - if cash is of any concern - can usually get a couple year old trailer with bugs worked out and in like new condition for cheaper; but may take a month or two to find. I know we bought ours 5 years old and it was in just like new condition with some add on and got it nearly 50% off MSRP. But if money not an issue - new does have some warranty and peace of mind bennies. Anyway - Welcome to the Airstream group.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Just had to comment on needing 2 AC units because you are in Texas. We live near San Antonio, and while ours is just 23', I'll tell you that the single unit can freeze me out. The only issue has been at Port A or South Padre with the humidity, but we have purchased a small dehumidifier to remedy that.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
You want the 50 amp/ twin air. Don’t let anyone sell you on a 25 or bigger with single air. 20% off of MSRP is doable. Check some of the online RV dealers for price, then shop it to your local dealer.
I purchased from Southland RV in Atlanta. They were great to deal with.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
You want the 50 amp/ twin air. Don’t let anyone sell you on a 25 or bigger with single air. 20% off of MSRP is doable. Check some of the online RV dealers for price, then shop it to your local dealer.
I purchased from Southland RV in Atlanta. They were great to deal with.
brick
Our Airstream was our second trailer ordered from Southland RV (the first being an Aliner about three years earlier). We'd kept in touch with the folks there and after several visits to drool over Airstreams asked the owner if they would do 20% off MSRP if we ordered the unit and took delivery right after it arrived so they'd have to pay no floorplan interest. He agreed but said he could not discount the delivery fee. We shook on that and ordered the unit for December delivery. paying a nominal deposit. They did stick us with an unexpected prep fee, but were more than helpful in other ways - like loaning us parts of a Blue Ox WDH when the one we ordered online to save money arrived missing parts.

We ordered the second AC (as well as extra awnings and solar package) but haven't used the second AC yet. Keep waiting for a warmer day so I can see if it works.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:02 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Larkspur , Colorado
Finding the best price takes time

So we recently put a deposit on a GT and will pick it up in late Sept (so it will be a 2019).

I used the airstream dealer locator and basically emailed about 15 dealers ranging from the west to the east coasts.

I had a complete list of desired color/finishes and options.

Since we were not in a hurry, I didn’t focus on just those with units in stock.

I took the two lowest WRITTEN quotes and attempted to get comparable deals from a couple of the closest dealers. I also normalized the quotes by assuming that the cost to pickup out of the area was about $1.50 per mile in distance ($.50 on drive to and $1 on return). Note that neither of the closest could come close (within 1-3%).

I also researched reviews on the sales practices (but not service since I’ll likely not go far for that).

In the end, I went with the second lowest quote which is about 750 miles away. And our deal is a savings of >15% off MSRP and accounts for any price changes with the model year.

If you message me with your email address, I can connect you with my dealer.

As always, every deal is unique and YMMV.
Dmmdtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #15

Fleming Island , Florida
Research and Decide

Not in any real hurry, cash in hand, going through research process as a first time retired travel trailer buyer. My decision will be based upon 4 main considerations: 1.ease of towing (no 5th wheels); 2. ease of setup; 3. quality workmanship; and 4. user-friendly operation with minimal hassles. Notice I did not mention a primary consideration to be roominess (if I want lots of room, I can stay at home - to me, a slide-out is a problem waiting to happen); I did not mention money (I do realize you get what you pay for). Current front-runners are the 25ft Flying Cloud (rear twin beds) or the Oliver Elite II (23 ft.). Looking for opinion regarding these two trailers. Recommendations I get from "my camping friends" suggest bigger is better (slide-outs, 5th wheels, large diesel truck to pull it all). I simply believe smaller is better (to a degree) - easier to tow, setup, hookup, unhook, park, etc. What do you guys suggest? And, what about the Oliver Elite II egg-shaped fiberglass travel trailer?
KWRJRPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:45 PM   #16
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Buy it. The Oliver is a very good trailer. The down side is that it's harder to modify. The good side is it without rivet holes and panel seams to leak and does not have a wooden floor to rot when it does leak.

Look at the big Casita if you can deal with the smaller space.

If you consider the AS 25, look very close at the 26U and the 27. May well be a better choice. Consider a 27 that was traded so the owner could move to a 30.

Now, if 23 is enough ..... look at the AS 23s. A lot is packed into that footprint.

Towability - can't beat the ASs. Well, there are smaller fifth wheels that are worth investigating if you can deal with a truck. Brother said he could not find one. Folks from BC had a nice one, so they exist.

Also, if you will travel in other than shoulder seasons, look at four season trailers.

When you are ready to buy, understand what you are buying. If you do, you'll be happy. If you just buy what someone tells you to buy, there will be a lot to learn as your adventure proceeds.

Good searching. It is a fun trip. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #17
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Me too.
I went from Globetrotter to Flying Cloud 27 to finally the FC 26. Two years of research, all the videos and forums, all the local RV shows. Picked it up four days ago. Everything the others have, and a larger bathroom.
Get your best price quote from the local dealers, fine. Then, do yourself a favor, call Colonial Airstream in New Jersey. For me, and for many many others who have made the trip half way or all the way cross-country, it was worth every second to travel to that dealership and make the deal. Definitely go 50 amp and two ACs, and get the hitch thrown in. Arrive, get a hotel, good nights sleep, and stay the next two nights in the trailer on the lot, inspecting and getting trained. I'm still smiling, it was such a positive experience.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Conroe , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWRJRPE View Post
Not in any real hurry, cash in hand, going through research process as a first time retired travel trailer buyer. My decision will be based upon 4 main considerations: 1.ease of towing (no 5th wheels); 2. ease of setup; 3. quality workmanship; and 4. user-friendly operation with minimal hassles. Notice I did not mention a primary consideration to be roominess (if I want lots of room, I can stay at home - to me, a slide-out is a problem waiting to happen); I did not mention money (I do realize you get what you pay for). Current front-runners are the 25ft Flying Cloud (rear twin beds) or the Oliver Elite II (23 ft.). Looking for opinion regarding these two trailers. Recommendations I get from "my camping friends" suggest bigger is better (slide-outs, 5th wheels, large diesel truck to pull it all). I simply believe smaller is better (to a degree) - easier to tow, setup, hookup, unhook, park, etc. What do you guys suggest? And, what about the Oliver Elite II egg-shaped fiberglass travel trailer?
You're thinking is spot on in my book. We bought our first 25ft Airstream after seeing live mold on the wooden 2x2 framing of an almost new other brand after a minor accident. Further, a knowing friend said that there were lots of state parks that trailers larger than 25 just won't fit in (excellent advice...). Our Safari had the twins and it was great. After the Safari was totalled, we bought a Classic with a rear sideways queen. Bad move. Tough to makeup and whoever sleeps in the back, ends up crawling over the other for late night trips to the head. As for "getting what you pay for", I've come to the conclusion that, except for the basis structure, the Airstream is no better than any other as all the systems are pretty well the same crap as the cheapest around ($100k and you still get a dumb converter???). AND the price gouging on parts is terrible. Example: the rear window of ours spontaneously shattered. The cost of a factory replacement of the glass only (I reuse the brackets...) was $375 + tax + shipping. They will locally cut the same for a quarter of the price but I would have to make a very accurate template.
I don't know about the Oliver but the new fiberglass Airstream is apparently a disaster. I've always liked the little Casitas....
One positive note for the Airstream, however, is the community. We are not joiners and have only tried the rally scene once but we have had great appreciation for the "Airstream Only" parks at various places around the country. We have not tried any of the "Courtesy Parking" but hear good things about that avenue also.
My 2 cents.....
wrhnco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:45 PM   #19

Fredericksburg , TX
Did you ever made a decision? We are in Texas and
Considering the same two
Options.
jilltabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The Oliver has a lot going for it, except to my eye, it sits too high on the axles. Leaf springs?
Also, because it's built like a boat it suffers from the same problems boats do. A narrow center aisle where it's hard for two people to pass.

BTW, I felt the same about slides...until I had one.
In the 14 years I owned that RV, I never had one second's trouble with the slides.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote