Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to wally_winter Send a message via Yahoo to wally_winter
Might Buy a 95 Excella - Need Advice

Good evening, I am close to making a decision about buying a used 1995 Excella 26' Airstream. Looking at the pics and talking with the owner it appears to be pristine shape. I am going to drive over tomorrow and take a look at it. I would appreciate any advice? Concerns? Would also be interested in talking with folks from New Mexico about interesting places to take the Airstream. Thanks....Wally in New Mexico
wally_winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Stand back and look at the over all appearance, do expect some clearcoat pealing, pretty normal for that year. Look for panel damage, panel replacement can run from $2,000 to $5,500 to be replaced. I have had them replaced and I am aware of the cost. Look at the dot date on the tires 5-7 years is considered the life regardless of the tread. Go inside and check for water stains, behind the curtains, on the sidewalls, skylights and floor. Make certain the floor is solid around the door. Is the headliner falling or showing signs of coming loose a big buck item. Does the refrigerator run on gas and electric and is it running? Check the water heater and make certain it comes on and heats. The furnace is not usually a concern but cycle it anyway the same goes for the a/c unit and gas stove and microwave. When was the everpure filter replaced and do they have the bypass plug for it. Open the couch to see if it operates properly. What kind of hitch is on it and are all the parts there and in good condition? Has it had a state inspection, when were the brakes and bearings last checked, who checked them. Vent fans do they operate properly, any leakes around skylights, do the electrical outlets work on ac and dc. Does it come with a working tv and radio. Look inside pantry, closet, bathroom cabinet and all other cabinets for signs of water or rodent damage. What condition is the interior, carpet etc. a good indication of how it has been kept. The propane bottles should have a 3 cornered handwheel showing that is an opd valve update. Do the steps open properly, tv antena go up and down as it should. front jack and stabilizing jack operate properly, water pump working. Look in all outside compartments for damage and neglect. Open all awnings insure they operate properly and are in decent condition. Does it have an awning tool as well as a jack tool and spare tire. Are the tires wearing even, could mean going back to Ohio to have the axel aligned. There should be no stress cracks on 26' but look for cracks over the door and on the four lower corners. Does it have a rock guard on the front? Just a few of the things that come to mind. Happy hunting
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Tarheel thanks so much for the info, I'll be sure to take a list of important items that you've mentioned as I inspect the airstream tomorrow. Very excited here!

Wally
Old 11-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
All of these items don't have to be perfect, but they are areas that may need attention. Best of luck and happy hunting, the right unit is out there for you just hope you know it when you see it. I've bought three and even though the first one took me 18 months to get it right for me I have enjoyed all of them.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Kevin thanks for directing to the right area with my question. Appreciate the help.

Wally
Old 11-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Use your nose, smell for mildew. (if you can't smell too good, take someone who can.)

Black stains on carpet, walls etc.

Get on your knees and crawl around feeling along all walls and remove drawers and look under them using your LED light. (kitchen cabinets too)

Your number one goal is to gain access to as much WALL area as you can inside this camper. Start on one end and work your way down the wall checking for dampness or mildew smell or black colors.

Check rear storage very close for water damage near and around rear of AS inside storage. If it leaks the carpet will be black or smelly and it might be damp near inside door and wall.

There will be a couple places you can not see or check to see if it has ever been wet, one will be the refrig., but you can look outside into compartment and it might have a drawer under it like mine does........pull it out and look.

Push carpet and look at your finger to see if it is wet.

Smell inside cabinets, under bed and anywhere you can.

IF you smell anything odd, check further.

Get a real strong LED light and use it, look for mouse droppings too.

Leaks are not good and can be bad for wood if not found pretty soon.

Ask the owner if there has ever been a leak anywhere.

I guess you can tell I found a couple leaks in my new to me AS excella 2000 model after I ask if there was ever any leaks and was told no never.

The owner did not know there was any leaks I am certain but there was two.

I got to both before any wood damage at all, in fact,the leak must have just started a few weeks before he sold it to me.

I am now working to correct these problems, one is fixed by caulking, the other will take a little more work by removing the trim in the rear near storage area and caulking.

Over all I am ok with this........at least I leared a lot.
Robbie R.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_winter View Post
Good evening, I am close to making a decision about buying a used 1995 Excella 26' Airstream. Looking at the pics and talking with the owner it appears to be pristine shape. I am going to drive over tomorrow and take a look at it. I would appreciate any advice? Concerns? Would also be interested in talking with folks from New Mexico about interesting places to take the Airstream. Thanks....Wally in New Mexico
Check to see if all the exterior gaskets are OK. If the sewer vent pipe gaskets were never replaced, they will certainly leak, as they are only good for 2 to 3 years.

If the trailer has been parked for an extended period of time, you should check out the axles, to make sure they are ok. If not, that becomes a major expense.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Exclamation

Droped ceiling. Almost impossible to restore without without complete removal.
There are mods to cover up the problem and temp fixes.

Water damage from leaky battery boxes. Wood behind sofa will need to be removed in order to check for damage.

Check for front end separation (loose trim between frame and panel behind propane tanks).

Loose or missing rivets in panel behind propane tanks, or anywhere.

Buckling of panel behind propane tanks.

Have the propane tanks been fitted with the required OPD valves.

Check the rear bumper draw for rust through.

Check all rubber hold down thingies ( 2 on front solar guards and 2 holding rear bumper draw) for rot

Leaking skylight.

Leaking Antenna.

Get on the roof.

Remove the SS frame protectors and check if the frame has rusted.

Best of luck
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote