Old 09-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Life changes - 1972 & 73 trailer pair have to go

I am sad to report I need to get rid of both my trailers - the '73 27' Overlander and its companion '72 29' parts trailer.

I will not give them away, that is for sure, there has to be some real monies involved.. imagine that.

I don't know if you followed my leisurely rehab...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ame-83064.html

Anyhow - it's a dry mouse-proof shed on wheels, was hoping the DW and I could outfit the interior but that's not going to happen.

The attached photo shows the two trailers together, the slightly bent '72 has NOT been cannibalized but has suffered more water damage since I bought it for the windows & trim, bumper and such. The parts trailer will need tires - as will the project trailer eventually since the Goodyears have aged out of their trouble free period while never being out on the highway.

---- Anyhow ---- here is my post asking advice on pricing and seeing if there were any people somewhat local needing an instant rehab project?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	duo.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	351729  

Old 09-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
I'm supposing Craigslist for the parts trailer - some food service outfit might scoop it up for building another mobile food vendor...

The project trailer - new axles, repaired and POR'd frame, MDO sign plywood flooring w/ silicone thermal break...

Anyhow I'm just shattered from a death in the close family and thought I'd ask here in the AS extended family zone how to proceed.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Sorry to hear you are pulling the plug on the rennovation--and sorrier to hear of your family loss.

I perused your rehab thread to refresh my memory as to where you left off. It seems to end at the insulation phase. What is the current condition of the project trailer (interior skins back in place, all electrical sytems functional, etc)?
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
I'm still in shock & working all this out, yes this is public as can be but...

I have a confession to make - the AS hobby was bait to help lure my DW away from the career world and get her into an Arizona state-of-mind but weeks away from retiring the sky fell on her, 21 years together and it was over in a few heartbeats. Strokes suck.

Quote:
What is the current condition of the project trailer (interior skins back in place, all electrical systems functional, etc)?
Project Trailer? Tin shed at the moment, have you priced garden sheds lately?

Aluminum liners were discarded, plan was to resheet to resemble current AS. Zero interior wiring or plumbing installed.

I ruined $600 worth of spray-foam by having the weather turn too cold to spray it (outdoor project) and lost track of where I'd left off come spring, other family crises had me on East Coast for months blah blah and then the foam was seriously out-of-date.

Endcaps cleaned and stored, exterior trim saved, interior window aluminum frames & screens saved, fold down step assembly saved, the 180° front curtain hanger saved, the list goes on and on.

7-pin socket in place up front but no wiring to tail lights, no electric brake wiring hung, two sheets of 60" wide belly skin aluminum resting in the garage, banana wraps saved...

It'd have to be a labor of love to pick up where my Hillbilly Chaos® restoration procedure left off - so maybe I'll just part with the 1972 29' Ambassador and hope it goes to a good home & try to find cheap storage on the Project trailer?
Old 09-09-2019, 05:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
I’m so sorry for your loss. May I make a suggestion - if your wife’s passing was recent, you may want to hold onto the trailers for awhile. As time goes on it might be helpful to have a project to keep your mind occupied and to still be connected to the Airstream family though the renovation and possibly camping when you’re ready. Take care.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
We are so very sorry for you. We wish you the best in whatever you decide.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
karenjude : Amen, hold onto project trailer a while... Winter is coming and I'm not sure if I get to stay at this address. The 500+ hours invested in it can only be repaid by leisure activities

Hittenstiehl : Your words bring comfort, thanks for looking in on me.

There is y'alls reminder to designate beneficiaries and do the legal will, living will & power of attorney... oh yeah, also get married even if a prior long term relationship ended messy, work it out in the first few years and do pre-nup if required but just do it!

Anyhow - so the slightly bent trailer has to go ---

----> Any ideas on a fair price?