Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #1

Houston , Texas
Interested in International 16'

Hi all. I'm interested in purchasing a new 16' International. I understand that the biggest discounts go to the larger units but I'm trying to get an idea on what I could actually get one for price wise. Colonial has the unit listed for MSRP $56k and Sutton has it for MSRP $51K, that in itself seems like a large difference. Is it within reason that I could expect another 15% to 18% off those prices? I know know one has a crystal ball and many variables come into play but I just want your thoughts and knowledge on the matter.
augustfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
We bought a 2012 16ft Internatioal off the lot for considerably cheaper than that this summer. They kept telling us not to be afraid to make an offer so we did...and they accepted.

We LOVE our Bambi....hope you find a good deal and enjoy it as much as we have these past few months

Kim

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Sonoma/Napa Wine Country , Northern California
MSRP should be the same, if they are equipped the same-as M in MSRP is the # from the factory in Ohio. In my experience with comparing those same dealers last year, over a different model AS. I found Sutton's prices to be lower, but less equipped-with lots of well we can add that later up selling & Colonial on the higher starting price, but boasting more fully equipped (solar, inverters, etc.) grab & go sales tactics. In the end we didn't buy from either of those 2.

All told from what we experienced & have seen 15% + is fair to seek, 20% is even better... As we get closer to Spring & sales bump up, those discounts drop & if it's a popular trim package they'll again be less likely to move. If you're looking for value & flexible on where in US it comes from or color you may want to call around to the lesser known dealers & see if you can find a previous model year/2011 that they're trying to move out?

Happy shopping-we love our 16' International Bambi!
Aspirations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
You can definitely save some money and get a used 16. They are the most traded size, as lots of people find the cuteness of them doesn't make up for the lack of space. Since they are fairly simple designs, a year or two old one is usually like new.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #5

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmog
We bought a 2012 16ft Internatioal off the lot for considerably cheaper than that this summer. They kept telling us not to be afraid to make an offer so we did...and they accepted.

We LOVE our Bambi....hope you find a good deal and enjoy it as much as we have these past few months

Kim
When you say considerable cheaper do you mean you got more than 15% to 18% off MSRP?
My original budget was for a new 16 Sport. I was hoping to pick one up for about 33k since MSRP was 3950k or so. With that in mind I was thinking I might get the 16' Intl for $42k or $43k but maybe that isn't realistic. I have no haggling or bargaining skills either and don't feel on a solid footing when dealing with salespeople.

My logic for changing my mind from the Sport to the Intl was that I plan on keeping this thing for a long time and shouldn't I get the one I really like the most even if I have to wait longer? I don't really trade things in. I tend to care for objects that are near and dear to me, my car is 10 years old and I'm happy with it.

The wife would be more comfortable with me getting a used late model 16' Sport for about 27k but wouldn't be opposed to a new model for lower 30's. I think she kinda went into shutdown mode when I brought up the possibility of spending 43k on a Intl (if I could even get a new one at that price).

I do really like the 16' Intl a lot more (both inside & out) than the 16' Sport but with the MSRP of the Sport being 39k and the MSRP of the Intl being 56k I don't really think the difference warrants a 17k premium. But who knows I keep changing my mind every 5 minutes.
augustfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
You can definitely save some money and get a used 16. They are the most traded size, as lots of people find the cuteness of them doesn't make up for the lack of space. Since they are fairly simple designs, a year or two old one is usually like new.
Really? I was originally looking for a used 16, but couldn't find any so I went new. And new ones are even scarce here.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

California is an exception. We too had to search high & low for our 16' Int. Bambi. 5 states, 6 dealers & a handful of private parties. They're out there...
Old 02-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
You can definitely save some money and get a used 16. They are the most traded size, as lots of people find the cuteness of them doesn't make up for the lack of space.
Curious about this. From my watching of the classifieds, it looks like 19' trailers win "most traded" status, with a good number of 23's out there too. Back during my hunt for a 16', it was very hard to find one, and they were very quickly sold.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
We looked for a long time also for the 16ft and never saw one come for sale in our area (Oregon, Washington, California & Idaho). We saw lots of 19ft models, but we had decided we wanted the 16ft...the main reason that we bought new!

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

I'd guess it's hard to really declare one "most traded". While 16' may be undesirable to some due to it's limited size, it certainly has a unique cult following among others-particularly the CCD & DWR ones! As Valmog said on this side of the country they're certainly hardest to find, often fetch same/more $ as some 19-23' & sell fast in feverish races to meet/pay. We almost bought a new 16' Sport (was nearly same price ~$2k) as the used 16' Int. CCD or other special editions we were chasing... after thorough inspection of the differences (the sport felt/looked cheap). The Internationals clearly hold their resale value & by buying used the 1st owner took the major depreciation so we felt safe buying it knowing we could sell for about same money if we ever needed to.

I think the original poster is still on the fence with his family (Do it! Many of us here have young families & wouldn't trade those early adventures for an extra decade of saving $ or courting that perfect AS/TV.) Once you're ready have money or financing lined-up you have to be on hunt & pounce, new or used they're out there but as the weather improves they'll go faster. I know of at least 5 nice used ones on the West Coast right now, and I'd guess there's some nearer to you in Texas too?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
My suggestion as well ... just do it! (PS: don't overlook the Flying Cloud 19 either)
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
Really? I was originally looking for a used 16, but couldn't find any so I went new. And new ones are even scarce here.
When we were shopping last year, the A/S dealer in Saskatoon had 3 Bambi's... 2 on consignment and 1 trade. Personally, I like the layout of the Bambi better than the 19... I much prefer the east-west bed, and don't like to sleep beside the toilet... We ended up with a 22' CCD which is a front-bed and just-right size for 2 + baby + dog.

A Bambi is a sweet option for a couple and not needing huge rig to pull it... once you go bigger, it never ends... might as well go right for a 34' Classic.

I guess I shouldn't generalize... the 16's are cute and sometimes an impulse buy because they are cheaper... I might get one and tow it behind my 22' in a train...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
When we were shopping last year, the A/S dealer in Saskatoon had 3 Bambi's... 2 on consignment and 1 trade. Personally, I like the layout of the Bambi better than the 19... I much prefer the east-west bed, and don't like to sleep beside the toilet... We ended up with a 22' CCD which is a front-bed and just-right size for 2 + baby + dog.

A Bambi is a sweet option for a couple and not needing huge rig to pull it... once you go bigger, it never ends... might as well go right for a 34' Classic.

I guess I shouldn't generalize... the 16's are cute and sometimes an impulse buy because they are cheaper... I might get one and tow it behind my 22' in a train...
Actually, any newer single axle Airstream is a "Bambi", including a 19'.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2009 16' DWR
Venice , Florida
As a new 16 DWR owner, I found in my research that the 16's were much harder to find than the larger models. One dealer suggested that because they don't take up much room and are more maneuverable, people tend to keep them, even if they are not using them. On my way home, after buying the AS, I stopped in at an AS dealer to ask a few questions about the systems. While I was there a guy offered to buy my DWR for a considerable amount more than I had just paid for it. Of course I had to politely say NO!
hellsbay is offline   Reply With Quote