Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #1
Ally

Traytown , Newfoundland
How to import 1968 Airstream from Canada into the US?

I'm from Canada and have permanent residency in the US. I currently live in the US with my husband (who is from there), but am temporarily staying in Canada with a sick family member. I found an 1968 Airstream Overlander 26' here that I'm wanting to purchase.

Given that this trailer is over 25 years old, I'm wondering what the import procedure is into the US? I can't seem to get any clear info. On Monday I'm going to call a couple of the bordering crossings in Maine to see what I can find.

Does anyone have experience with this? If you paid taxes on the trailer in Canada were you able to apply to get them refunded in the US? Are there taxes to be paid in the US?

Thanks so much for your help.
_ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Maybe have your husband call the state motor vehicle department where you're living?
Old 05-28-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Best to research (even call) CBP and CBSA. Given that the trailer is older than 25 years, some requirements may be waved (e.g. DOT sticker), and you shouldn't have any duties.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-into-the-u.s.

I've imported vehicles into Canada from the US, including our Airstream. It's pretty easy, but you need to be sure to have all the details handled otherwise you'll be turned away at the border. Note that you may also have to file some export form with CBSA (though I'm not certain about that). When importing into Canada, I had to file some export form with CBP ahead of time.

The Canadian version (importing to Canada) is here: http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

This site has some other basic information as well (which mentions tax issues): http://www.roulottesprolite.com/engl...railer-usa.htm
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
Ally

Traytown , Newfoundland
thanks, y'all. Gonna make some calls!
_ally is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, 1968 airstream