Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
How to get "it" home?

Ok, we found the trailer (we are close to SF and it is close to Charleston, SC). We got the airplane tickets. We were planning to fly there, check it out, and then rent a vehicle, driving the trailer back with us.
We have found nobody that will rent anything to tow except a Uhaul box truck.
We have to personally check it out, its that important to LOOK at it. One person could fly there, check it out and fly back. Then uship it home. But the boys really wanted to drive it home.
Anybody out there that had/has a better solution?
Smiles and thanks,
Pink
Pink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
_

. , .
not a better solutions but maybe better questions????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink1 View Post
...Anybody out there that had/has a better solution?...
hi pink

just glanced at your other thread on the item in question...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...ase-57448.html

working backwards from least important to most...

6. the 'forum how 2 n support' section is for problems navigating the FORUM software...

not how to do trayla stuff.

there is a towing/tow vehicle, and transport section, and either of those would be a better place for THIS thread.

perhaps a mod will MOVE it (no hitch or brakes required)

5. u'll need a 30 day tag, the paperwork, INSURANCE coverage, along with...

>>>a BRAKE controller, >>a HITCH apparatus, >some basic tools and supplies...

to TOW IT back to cali... (and maybe new tires)

4. renting vehicles SPECIFICALLY for towing isn't impossible but there are challenges.

some 3/4-1 ton rental vans have receivers, so with the stuff noted in #2 one can tow with these...

BUT if you fib to the rental company and have issues in route (like a boo boo) that will be messy messy.

and the >~3k$ transport fee for pro movers, COULD go toward buying a betta trayla CLOSER 2 the LEFT coast.

3. WHAT R U gonna TOW it with once "it" is HOME?

2. are you SURE u wanna 22 footer from that era???

u have taken the 'INSPECT IT' message to heart, which is important, but you also need to KNOW what u r LOOKIN AT...

just a few of the issues related to that model and there are others...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ure-48105.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-it-33396.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f365...bed-20767.html

and little broader but still relevant to your purchase plans...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...rse-39275.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...-04s-7106.html

1. lastly on the ISSUE of buying (or money changing hands) sight UNseen....

ONE MORE THREAD dat b freeee TO READ....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...elp-44269.html

not intending 2b a buzzkill, but u may wanna do MORE HOMEWORK before paying to travel C2C2C for not so ideal trayla

the roadTRIP might be a lifelong memory and great time but b sure THIS traylOR is "it"

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
down south , South Carolina
Charleston is pretty nice. You may not go back to CA. But hauling a trailer across the country will need some serious "eyeballing" on the axles, tires and bearings. You may want to find a local dealer and have them check out the trailer before you fly. Any cost would be cheaper than finding out the rig shouldn't make the trip and having to fly back.

BTW, what kind of truck are you sitting in (profile pic)?
Dieselgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
When I was moving cross country, I looked into renting a Uhaul to tow the trailer and haul my stuff. Most of the trucks have a 2" hitch ball welded to the frame, which will not work. The smaller van/trucks sometimes come with a receiver where you could mount your own hitch, but Uhaul only allows you to tow THEIR trailers or car transporters. And even if you did tow YOUR trailer, THEIR trucks don't have brake controllers.

You need to go to Plan B.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Here's the solution found when the brakes failed on an International Travellall towing a bambi on the way to a rally

Often you can find an older pickup or van for sale that you can use to tow the trailer and at a price not that much more than rental. Try a 'wanted' add in Craig's List for the locale.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

IMHO.... personal experience has taught me that a little patience goes a long way towards a successful long term adventure. Spend a little more time looking on your own Coast and I'm sure you will be just as excited with what you find....

PS..I didn't follow my own advice when buying Cloudsplitter and still regret it.
Had I found the Forum and did a little more research I know I would have followed a different purchase path.

GOOD LUCK

Bob
Old 10-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Who is selling

Anyone who buys from dealers or flippers across the country should make the sale conditional upon delivery. This puts the burden right where it belongs. If you want to screw around with the details or the joys of logistics....so be it. To late for this sale....wish I could help.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:21 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

That trailer is listed in the Forum classified....

Observation....the one stainless panel protector visible in the photographs exhibits quite a few dings, along with the surrounding area. This may be a telltale, and would indicate a close inspection of the entire coach would be a prudent undertaking.
JMO
Old 10-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Just saw this U-Haul truck in a parking lot. It does have a receiver hitch and 7 way blade plug. But, the issue of the brake controller still exists.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1018091503.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	89252  
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
7 pin would indicate the wiring exists for a brake controller but maybe not the controller. If you have to get a controller, a temporary installation in the rental truck could solve that problem.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
AS TTs are wired differently for the TV connnection, right?

So, wouldn't that rule out a rental, unless the rentee is willing to do some re-wiring?
Old 10-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Wiring for trailers has changed over the years—a 7 pin connector on the recent model vehicle should be correct.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
AS TTs are wired differently for the TV connnection, right?...
basically NO.

modern streams like the one in the o.p. have typical 7 pin wiring.

old traylas were wired a variety of wayz and often tweaked by owners or drunken sailors.

the 7 pin is primarily used of LIGHTS and BLINKERS and SIGNAL FLASHERS on rental trucks.

so the FUSE for the brake wire may not be there, only sticking a mulitmeter in the holes can reveal if any JUICE is present and useable.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #14
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Pink - glad you're finding a trailer that seems to fit your needs. As far as towing it home.... with some persistence you can prolly find someone to provide this service - but since you will need a tow vehicle anyway - as 2air suggested, the cleanest and cheapest thing might be to tow it yourself with your own vehicle.

Assuming the trailer is in good towable shape, you could get your tow vehicle rigged up before going to pick it up. My guess is that you could also arrange for some local help on the east coast if there issues with tow set ups. A trailer dealer or even a car dealer may be able to help.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Pink~

Welcome, Im a newbie here too, been hunting for an Airstream for our family here also for about a year. We were interested in the exact unit you have put a deposit on. We are half the distance you are (Chicago). He mentions he will deliver 500 miles. If I were you, I would 1st have an inspector in his area check it out first. There are Airforums inspectors available on the opening page, right hand side. Then if its a good finding, ask the seller how far he will go to meet. Its a start! Good luck! Keep us posted!
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #16
Dreaming of Streaming

Davis/SF , California
Thanks for good wishes Jezibels,
We have contacted a inspector and are in the process of setting up a time to check it out. If we change our minds due to something uncovered during the inspection we will surely pass that info onto this thread.
Smiles,
Pink
Old 10-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Pink, everybody has chimed in here but what you've not disclosed is the length of the trailer and year...

I'm here in Sumter and am in Charleston often. I'm not much with trailers as I'm a MOHO guy, but if I can help let me know.

It has to be a very special deal to make you want to go bi-coastal to make the deal. I would want to do the best I could if I was in the same situation and would suggest that you drive both ways.

I've done the cross country tip many times and suggest that you drive solo and let the family fly with the tickets already available. This way you can rush cross country with all your tools in the TV so that you are ready for any misfortune that may present.

You'll be in your own vehicle and that adds a level of comfort for the family as well.

Solo you can make the trip in 3 days or less. Let me know if I can help.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #18
Dreaming of Streaming

Davis/SF , California
Great advice thanks Glen,
It is a 2004 CCD International.

2004 Airstream International CCD 22' - Airstream Trailer & Airstream Motorhome Classifieds

This is the link to the ad.

Smiles,
Pink
Old 10-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
basically NO.

modern streams like the one in the o.p. have typical 7 pin wiring.

old traylas were wired a variety of wayz and often tweaked by owners or drunken sailors.
Well, that explains the guy in the white dungarees, pullover shirt with a bib collar and funny li'l hat skulking aboot my trlr, reeking of rum and mumbling thingz like "Avast ye" and "Arrrrr, meLad" a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
the 7 pin is primarily used of LIGHTS and BLINKERS and SIGNAL FLASHERS on rental trucks.

so the FUSE for the brake wire may not be there, only sticking a mulitmeter in the holes can reveal if any JUICE is present and useable.

cheers
2air'
So mine IS wired bass-ackwards 'coz when Darryl The Welder towed it away, he dint get far b4 stopping, getting oot, and disco/ing the connexshun, as he was ploughing [plowing in the US] doo 2 the brakes been on 'n all.

Hope MY TeeVee's plug is shipshape with all due respect to Henri the Sovereign!