Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Wanamingo , Minnesota
How to find used Airstreams

Any suggestions as to the best methods of finding a used Airstream trailer in a specific model? The best web site (only one) I've found is the listing on this site. Any other good sites out there that list used trailers for sale by private parties?

Thank You,
Scout1
Scout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
seems airstreamguy.com has the entire US covered. i'm not saying this is a bad thing, its just frustrating for me when he beats me to a sweet vintage airstream deal close to me, drives it back to Kansas, and tacks on his service charge for dragging it around. making it more expensive and out of reach. my favorite is craigslist.org but there are folks on every city offering 'finders fees' and cash deals even before they come up. but this is part of finding your special something. you will. good luck in your search. -if i dont beat you to it!!
greenrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I found 2 on craigslist that I purchased,found another one and a Spartanette in an old campground.Even found a Uhaul in the back of a storage lot.
If you google Airstream for sell ,I`m sure you will have many returns.
For craigslist,I use Tempest Search,just enter your zip code,it will start nearest to you and go out as many miles as you want. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Of course, like you said the Classifieds here are great. Ebay has many Airstream listings too. I found mine on Craigslist. Various Vintage Airstream trailer sites have them too.

In the end, I think there is a lot of luck in finding what you want, especially if you want one in decent shape. In my case, I would look on a regular basis and one day one appeared that looked like the one for me. I contacted the owner, we took off mid-week from work and drove 120 miles to see it. I thought it was going to be what I wanted at a decent price so before I left I called the local branch of my bank and hooked up with someone that could quickly advance the funds to me from my account and cut a bank check. I also found out where the local Motor Vehicle office was so I could get a temp tag to get me home. The trailer was very road worthy (the PO took great care of it) but that can be an issue and you have to be ready to fix a few things before you tow it.

Again, the key is to be ready to move when you find one as decent Airstreams at fair prices don't last long. Good luck in your search.

BTW, good call above on using Tempest Search, it's the only way to use Craigslist.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Hi,

I did a lot of searches and found a few good sites:

Airforums classified, ( for sale and wanted)
Yakaz - All classifieds on the web
Search Tempest - The EASY way to search Craigslist!
Ebay

I found most sites by Googling "used Airstream". There was one RV site that was far better, but I can't find it now. It may have been part of AutoTrader.
We ended up buying one that did not sell on Ebay. I had talked to seller about the coach and they called me after the auction.

Some of the dealers (not Airstream) leave sold units listed for sale to look like they have a bigger inventory and then do the "bait and switch" when you inquire.

You'll realize that a new or used Airstream is relatively rare, so be patient.
Good luck.
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Do your research here first

There is a trail of tears leading from many, many, Airstreams purchased by the novice (and veteran) types. Don't just jump into it all. To many expensive problems are easily hidden by that polished skin. And, rebuilding, rehabing, whatever you call it, is expensive and time consuming...lots of each...Ask around, have a trusted person look it over and check paperwork. Good luck....you will find a good one.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Greetings Scout 1

Consider looking at the Minnesota Airstream Park Web site. There are some trailers for sale up there. Think about stopping buy for our open house next weekend. Most of us up there will gladly show you our trailers as well as talk about Airstreams with you. 125 lots and only Airstreams its a good place to see many models built over many years.

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I've used this site as well as he ones listed by triplnet.

site mash : airstream : combined classified and auction listings

Good luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote