Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
HOUSTON , Texas
How does the AS warranty operate

Recently retired and ready to purchase an AS trailer in the range of 25 - 27 feet. I've researched this forum thoroughly, as well as other information sources, and feel I want to purchase new for the sake of warranty and minimized repair/maintenance. I've had a lifetime of fix up projects.

However, I have never owned a trailer/RV and do not have experience with utilizing warranties for such. My questions are: (1) is all warranty work required to be performed by an authorized AS dealer or the Ohio service center; (2) is there any resource that provides feedback/experience on AS dealers warranty/service; and I know this is broad and general, but is there any guidance as to what problems/issues normally arise with a new AS trailers?

I will greatly appreciate any help.

John1048
John1048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It depends.

Airstream would prefer you have an authorized service center perform the work, but I know of situations where they have approved and payed for service at non service centers.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question about warranty work, we have always tried to have any repair and upgrade work that we could not handle ourselves done at the Airstream Factory Service Center in Jackson Center, Ohio.

W are somewhat experienced Airstreamers with almost 1,900 nights and 180,000 miles over the past twelve years. We have had three Airstreams. Two were purchased new and one was preowned. It has been our experience that many Airstream Dealers have service technicians that are barely competent. On several occasions, we have had these "professionals" do more harm than they did good. We have learned to do most maintenance and repair items ourselves. When we fix something, we know it is done right.

Please don't let my comments scare you off. Most of the issues that you will encounter are well within the abilities of a "Certified YouTube Mechanic". Airstreaming is so much fun that it is worth the minor difficulties.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Welcome to the forum and the Airstream life. I do not know of any central source of dealer ratings but I'm fairly certain that if, at any given time you have a choice of dealers to do service work, the fine folks on this forum will be more than happy to provide feedback for you.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thumbs up Warranty

Best of luck as I just bought a 2018 Airstream International serenity 27FB. Setting up various trips right now for Northwest this summer. One RV site said because I have an Airstream, I don't need to confirm the year of my RV because they are the best. I like that as well as the 2-year warranty.
Oregonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I go to AS L.A., I've been happy overall with their service.

I would have on your contract to include a drop off and pick up for a number of times as part of YOUR deal.
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post

I would have on your contract to include a drop off and pick up for a number of times as part of YOUR deal.
I think that comment needs some clarification. Exactly what and where are you picking up or dropping off?
Old 04-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
West Palm Beach , Florida
Welcome

Have Sport 16 2017, I have minor problems as AS have. Like a car have it in writing, dealers sell you but service is key 90%. Purchased in Ohio as to custom made extras and pricing saved $1500. Have problems ref. new main broad not auto switching to gas or AC. A/C unit thermostat will not cycle back on for compressor. All issues by third party makers. Call dealers all Four need to look at get approval and get parts. (4 to 6 mths to look at than come back).
Setup appointment at factory going and all be solved (g-d's hands). THey have the knowledge and the parts. Still the best AS trailers you will be happy. Just learn to repair and it has 2 years, others 1yr. and 90 days good lock. Walk though do not rush and write down, sleep their at dealer 24 hours for problems. Water pressure, hot and cold, pumps on and all values open and close, flush, AC all fuses and sockets, heat, A/C cycle full and set lower temps for cycling, etc.

GOOD LUCK still the best made. Like a house on wheels always a problem. PS leave the mother-law at dealer they will repair fast to pick her up. hahaha
truffies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
One also learns where the best service shops are and they are often independent shops that were former dealers that gave up on the corporate shenigans

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
One also learns where the best service shops are and they are often independent shops that were former dealers that gave up on the corporate shenigans

Has anyone had service work done at Airstream of Chicago? Verdict?
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Edgewater Park , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question about warranty work, we have always tried to have any repair and upgrade work that we could not handle ourselves done at the Airstream Factory Service Center in Jackson Center, Ohio.

W are somewhat experienced Airstreamers with almost 1,900 nights and 180,000 miles over the past twelve years. We have had three Airstreams. Two were purchased new and one was preowned. It has been our experience that many Airstream Dealers have service technicians that are barely competent. On several occasions, we have had these "professionals" do more harm than they did good. We have learned to do most maintenance and repair items ourselves. When we fix something, we know it is done right.

Please don't let my comments scare you off. Most of the issues that you will encounter are well within the abilities of a "Certified YouTube Mechanic". Airstreaming is so much fun that it is worth the minor difficulties.

Brian
That was an excellent response!!
rwsjms7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Warranty work

We bought a new trailer a year ago...two previous were used...and, on caravans, have had occasional issues away from home. I am reliably told the mother company has changed their policy making reimbursement and rates paid to non-seller dealers who do warranty work much better....thus incentivizing them to be more attentive and thorough. This has been our positive experience. We always check the forum for recommendations.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
It is my understanding from reading on here that the warranty for appliances, etc. is from the appliance manufacturer and work can be done by any RV shop authorized for that item, not necessarily an Airstream dealer.

I have no experience in this area, having bought both of our trailers used. Had to replace water pump on my Safari 25, and the furnace igniter on my Classic 30. No other issues, although I did replace axles on the Classic recently (after 16 years of prior owners) and converted to disc brakes in the process. I didn't consider this a failure, but an upgrade.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote