Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2016, 03:12 PM   #1

San Diego , California
Hidden Costs???

I am in the beginnings of researching the idea of spending a few years living in an AS and was wondering about some of the hidden costs. I realize there will be purchase costs, sales tax, interest on the loan, etc. but what about registration, insurance, upkeep, etc. Any list available, or known by this community of the "unknown" expenses would be a big help and much appreciated.
tjmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
The full timer I know approaches it just like living in a stick house. You have two types of expenses, fixed and rotating. Fixed are as you stated, rotating are those expenses that are always their but vary according to your lifestyle & your day to day activity. So if you travel a lot & eat in restaurants it will cost more than being stationary in a state park somewhere & cooking in. The only real unknown is repairs to your RV home as with your stick home. He tells me a full timer can control his expenses by planning ahead. Your insurance, registration etc can determined before you jump in, just pick the RV you want to buy & shop online. No one here can give you exacts as all States very regarding these items.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
i don't think you can examine that until you define why you are living in an RV full time.

Are you going to be stationary treating the RV as a low cost housing, are you going to move every few months while workcamping, or are you going to travel with sightseeing the goal. I think you will quickly see the difference. Another consideration would be are you going to be exposed to a wide range of weather conditions.

if you can narrow your question i think the information you get will be much better.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
Airstream Rookie

2005 31' Classic
Anywhere , Everywhere
So far my unplanned repairs have been two flat tires...granted they were Goodyear Marathons and I "SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER", but I didn't.

I've been fulltiming now for oh...about...two months.
KimberlyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We have been full-timing in our 1999 Excella which is in very good condition but as a house there are repairs.

our list..we get brakes and bearings on trailer checked every year, needed a new frig, hot water tank element went out, trailer axle was bent by being jacked at wrong pt somewhere..had that fixed..needed 2 new tires after that and as everyone on forum knows our tv rear differential needed all new gears...just got truck out today. We are still happy and moving on down the road. So yes it is hard to say what expenses you will have. Good Luck
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I wouldn't call living expenses "hidden costs". I think folks can plan an Airstream full time budget pretty accurately, nothing is hidden per se.

Sure there are expense surprises no matter where we live. Perhaps the biggest surprise is unexpected health event. But one creates some savings to help get through such events.

Here is a thread where full timers discuss their monthly budget. Perhaps you have already seen it. I think the main thing is living in an Airstream is not necessarily cheaper than living in an apartment somewhere. It is just a heck of a lot more interesting.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...et-127358.html

Hope this helps....

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:20 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Buying your AS is one thing, outfitting it is another. It can add up to a lot.
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote