Old 08-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Denver , Colorado
Help with 16' sport value & depreciation

Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying a 2014 16' sport and having trouble figuring out how good the price is. It's in great shape (always garaged, only used about a dozen times) and can get it for $25k. Wondering what a ballpark is for how much I could sell it for in 2 years.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

tdp5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #2

Traverse City , Michigan
I bought a 2017 16 this year for $35K.

elkhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Like it or not, the RV market is cyclical. The same is true of boats and classic cars. If the economy tanks, you likely will not be able to sell any of those for what might seem like a good price right now. If the economy is going gangbusters and you simply can't find a 16' Sport anywhere, you might sell it for quite a bit.

This time of year is a good time to buy in "snow country". The reason is simple: everybody is looking at storing the beast for many months. It's all "cost" and no "benefit" over those months. That tends to put a lot of RV's on the market. Prices go down a bit.

What's a good price for *any* Airstream depends a lot on the fiddly little details. Things like floor rot can have a big impact. There is no quick / simple way to rate the condition of a trailer ( unless there is major damage, in that case .... run away .... fast ... ).

All that said, if the trailer is the floor plan that works for you, the price sounds ok. I'm not quite sure why you would buy one with the intention of selling it in two years. This is sort of a high price / high risk item for a quick flip.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Corvallis , Oregon
I have a 2018 Bambi 16' Sport, it's a great little trailer. Look at what upgrades it might have too? possible ones are rock guards, bumper, extra battery, upgraded converter, battery monitor (these are $2-3k additions). With a 2014, you should think about new tires, battery(s) for a few upfront costs. I was looking at trailers at the local AS dealer, and they offered me $30k for a trade-in, which is low, but they said they have to make a buck too... You see a lot of Bambi's on the classifieds for more, $30k plus. Check out the body, if no rock guards, the front can get dinged up and also check the water system to make sure it was winterized correctly, no leaks. But sounds reasonable, the big hit on value seems to be upfront, so resale should be good. Is there a local Airstreamer that can take a look at if for you, look for an "inspector" on the forum.
WBCCI #7944
skitger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Denver , Colorado
Thanks all! We went ahead and bought and going to enjoy it until the family grows and we need something bigger...
tdp5150 is offline   Reply With Quote