Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post

It certainly lacks the asthetic appeal of AS...but everything comes with a cost...compromise is life aint it...dern it

I suspect that bob's comment about "looking over my shoulder" would be an inescapable psychological bias - we really do LOVE the look of AS....I guess given this draw, the next questions would involve affordability and ease of use....

To me it all comes down to the question of re-sale....whatever first trailer we buy...there is the risk that we would buy a different one down the road a bit....in which case in 5 years how much will it be worth?

All things for me to consider.....I have time to brew on it all thats for sure...
I know I have mentioned it before, but there are some great used airstreams out there now. You can get a mid 80's-90's rig that is in ready to go shape for $20k or much less. The advantage here is that is you sell it in 5 years, there is a good chance you will recoup most or all of your $$ in resale. Then buy the new one
You can have your cake and eat it too!
Just another avenue to consider, especially if your are uncertain about which model really fits your needs. The 80's-90's rigs should be fully depreciated by now; you are paying for condition. So considering that and the relatively long lifespan of an Airstream, it is a safer investment than most... Especially if you are going to look at the possibility of upgrading in a few years.
My $.02.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
THAT is an excellent point!!

My feeling is that:

1) there will be no way to anticipate what my wife and I will ULTIMATELY want
2) given that, resale is highly likely
3) ergo your last post very important

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...y-80393-2.html

this was a useful thread as it relates to discussions regarding longer length....I plan on enjoying the rig in many ways, not just with my wife and children, but for "man trips" with my 3 brothers...we are pretty tight, and it will be great fun..I think that is why I have been gravitating toward longer...

Thanks again for all yall's advice and opinions!!

Old 12-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #44
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Half the fun of the experience is the anticipation OF the experience. Having bought my new Airstream last year, and after 6 trips of various durations (up to a couple of weeks), I have decided that the experience itself is much, much better than the anticipation! There is something that defies words (at least for me), with my new Airstream. Just got back from a week plus on the Gulf Coast of FL. One night we had a huge rainstorm....thunder, lightning, you name it. The four of us (that includes the two basset hounds), were warm, dry and cozy inside our aluminum abode. If you have never been inside an aluminum trailer in the rain, let me tell you it is amazing, romantic, and hard to describe. Of course, I also remember being about 8 years old with my Aunt and Uncle in their 1958 Airstream and experiencing this for the first time. Right now, SilverLeaf is winterized, up on jacks, and awaiting the early Spring we'll have in NC -- and I'll be ready to begin some new adventures. The maintenance and all the rest is a small price to pay for the smiles you'll have everytime you take it out...
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
- dad was a pilot and an airplane mechanic - I have in fact heard rain in the hanger - havent thought about that in a while!!

Me and the wife were just talking about camping - putting the kids down to sleep and perhaps star gazing - man I need a vacation about right now

Old 12-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have evolved over the years to the point that rain on the roof lulls us to sleep, kind of like the sound of waves on the shore. The first few rainstorms sounded like someone was hovering above, dropping handfuls of pebbles.

We find the anticipation and planning of a trip almost as much fun as the trip itself. Where we're going to go, what and who we're going to see. Takes us back to the days when this was all just a longing, rather than a reality.

So fortunate we all are, to be living our dreams. We are grateful every single day.

Maggie
Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Bremerton , Washington
Ahhh, the rain on the roof is amazing. What scared me was the wind. We were camping on the furthest point of Washington State, across the water in a distance is Victoria Canada. The wind got so bad, we could feel the trailer shake.

But to be honest, our nerves were bad because it was our 2nd camping trip out, and we didn't want anything happening to our AS. And yes, true to my Navy being, I got out and did a walk around after the storm, and the rig was secure. If there was a padeye that I could have chained it down too, I would have done it.
Pricilla is offline   Reply With Quote