Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2019, 11:10 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Sequim , Washington
Good deal?

Hey everyone! I’m very new to the whole airstream community and have been looking for one for the past couple years... something 25’ or less. I ended up finding an ‘88 Excella 1000 that’s 25’. It’s in great shape - needs a new fridge and water heater, but is otherwise very nice. What is a ‘reasonable’ price for something like this? I offered $16,500...

Having looked further, this should probably do under the dollars and cents area...
New2streamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:51 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Currently Looking - Keep Looking.........., take a current Airstream owner with you to help point out the issues or use this site to ask someone in the area to check the trailer oiut for you. New refrigerator $500-$1000 plus labor to put it in if you can't. New water heater - $400-600 plus labor.
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:52 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2streamin View Post
Having looked further, this should probably do under the dollars and cents area...

Addressed [emoji6]

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have a 1988 25’ Excella and love the trailer. Check the floor carefully for rotten spots. The 25’ is a good size and is often priced a little higher than the larger models. Any of the appliances in a 30 year old trailer could go bad. More important are leaks, dents, rust, and rot.

We have replaced the dump valves (twice), the AC, the WH, several water pumps, the vent fan, the converter, the brakes and bearings (twice), the toilet, the fold down steps, the faucets, the water fill hose, the power cord, and the 0P did the fridge. And a lot of batteries and tires. And fixed leaks. So do not kid yourself. If you buy old you are going to need to be “handy” or budgeted for a good bit of repair experience in the long haul.

But if the trailer is sound it is a great pulling trailer and a good size for traveling.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Seems reasonable to me based on the limited info. Most important to me is the condition of the shell and exterior in general, apliances would be on the lesser importance since they are easily replaced and will be dated anyway.
Is it one with the rear pano windows? That would be the
holy grail to me.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:25 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Sequim , Washington
Sadly it doesn’t have the pano windows in the back. I took my dad to look at it (not an experienced airstream guy, but has had plenty of trailers). The carpet has been replaced to the back bedroom (no rot underneath), and the only body issue noted was a dent in the propane container in the front. The body is incredibly clean. We crawled around underneath a bit (I’ve looked at several at this point and always find it frustrating how little you can see underneath due the pan), and couldn’t find any rust to speak of. I also recently looked at a ‘68 22’ safari. I loved the size, but there was so much rust on the frame (even the little I could see).
The person who owns the Excella now is the second owner and father of a friend. He upgraded to a larger trailer with a slide. it has always been kept under cover. I’m budgeting 3-4K for various fixes.
Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CE2462D1-D0A0-4CF3-AF85-1E345F65B415.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	331952   Click image for larger version

Name:	2EEA1CCA-6BBD-42E4-9979-74AA644E41ED.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	331953  

Old 01-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
For being stored under cover the clear coat is sure bad? Would you plan on polishing it or leave it? Your budged could be ruined right there.
Our 25 was in well used original condition although the seller said it was "ready to camp" and all said and done I have put $10k+- into it plus my time, we really like the trailer and it is now "ready to camp".
Not trying to burst you bubble here, have you concidered it will likely need new axles too?
In my mind the vintage 25s are great trailers with plenty of space and amenities and worth the investment.
there are a few areas you can see the bare subfloor if you poke around, the furnace access, the hatch under the closet, the vanity cabinet, possibly in front of the goucho, the exterior storage compartments. Mine had some floor rot next to the furnace that was ultimately traced to the hood exhaust outlet not being sealed and water running down between the skins.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Hey everyone! I’m very new to the whole airstream community and have been looking for one for the past couple years... something 25’ or less. I ended up finding an ‘88 Excella 1000 that’s 25’. It’s in great shape - needs a new fridge and water heater, but is otherwise very nice. What is a ‘reasonable’ price for something like this? I offered $16,500...

Ping me if you have questions about this - I live in your neck of the woods.

The Excella was a nice model and sturdily built. While the fridge will be a costly replacement (if it really needs to be replaced) if the trailer is is good condition with no floor issues, that's a fair price. Most things are fixable and soft goods are replaceable. The peeling clearcoat is fairly standard for a rig this age and a cosmetic issue only.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Well, did you buy the Excella?
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #10

Currently Looking...
Sequim , Washington
I did!!! I’m going to dismantle the floor... so we’ll see how good of a deal it was. Also, has anyone put in new led lights? I was thinking of placing some recessed ones... seems pretty straightforward. Any advise? If I replace the flooring - does anyone have bad experiences with VCT flooring tiles? Would laminate sheet be a better option?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #11
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
I did!!! I’m going to dismantle the floor... so we’ll see how good of a deal it was. Also, has anyone put in new led lights? I was thinking of placing some recessed ones... seems pretty straightforward. Any advise? If I replace the flooring - does anyone have bad experiences with VCT flooring tiles? Would laminate sheet be a better option?
If you are pulling everything out of the rig, sheet would be better imo but many folks have used tiles - I have as well. The reason the sheet may be better is expansion and shrinkage with temperature changes. The sheet has no seams that may open up. That said, a full gluedown of VCT should do pretty well. I installed some plank that is holding up well.

Avoid click floor installations as your trailer flexes and the click connections may eventually start to break.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote