Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Genoa , New York
Going Galt, Airstream style

We haven't bought an AS yet (YET!), but we plan to as we've sold our house and my husband is debating cashing out of his business. We're thinking that the economy is not looking to recover in high tax states (like ours) as quickly as the rest of the country, and it would be wise to do some exploring to find our next business and home. We have two kids, the oldest is 13 and homeschooled and the youngest is 2 - easy traveler.

Anyone else out there considering a similar scenario?
metilling65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Smile Going Galt

We are also thinking of a trip south or west looking for Hank, Dagney and John. Doing research and planning. I think they were last seen in Colorado.If we cant make the trip we are enjoying the "prep" Hope to do in 2-3 years.
Good luck on your adventure .
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Take a look at the Rich/Eleanor/Emma lifestyle in the Tour of America blog. The archives go back to 2006. For several years they traveled, worked, homeschooled their young daughter all in their Airstream.

Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Who is John Galt?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
In two years (and change) our youngest daughter graduates from high school and our middle graduates from college (we hope). As my employment contract ends, my wife and I plan to head out in our restored (we hope) 1967 Overlander for an up to 12 month slice of early retirement. We eventually plan to settle in the west (northern Rockies), but we're open to any sort of adventure. Our rough plan is "49in12," or 49 states in 12 months. Our decision is not motivated by the economy or politics. We both have worked hard for years. The children will be out of the home. For the first time in many years, we'll be free to ramble a bit. I expect to work the rest of my natural life, but I'm not opposed to taking on occasional sabbatical. Our "hiatus" just would not have worked with kids at home... for myriad reaons, but there's nothing to say it can't be done.

Good luck.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Who is John Galt???? We are still searching for that valley and hope to come across it one of our trips west! Always hopeful ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
Who is John Galt???? We are still searching for that valley and hope to come across it one of our trips west! Always hopeful ~G
Me too!
Old 04-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Genoa , New York
John Galt is the "hero" of Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged". The premise of the novel is about government overreach into the business sector causing the "producers" of wealth to walk away from the system, having enough money or know how to survive with minimal effort. John Galt makes an impassioned 50 odd page speech to this end.

hampstead38, we too have decided that sabbaticals are a natural transition time to new adventures and assume that we will work most of our days in some form or another. We have been lucky enough to own a business that was started on a shoestring and now will give us some time to seek new opportunities, return to school to learn new skills, or just take some down time in this slow economy.

Cheers!
metilling65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
A Movie ?

I think "Atlas Shrugged " will also be a movie this fall ?
It will be interesting to see how they compress so much into a movie.
The book has so much,with characters and plot's and a love story's thrown in. An incredible Book.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Londonderry , New Hampshire
Ragnar

Several members of our WBCCI unit fly various flags that might be considered contrary to club rules as a mild protest, such as pirate flags. Certainly the rules and by-laws don't reach the level of directive 10-289 (or do they?), and so far I have not been motivated to participate.

I might change my mind, however, if I could find a flag such as this:

LoydBonifide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
A sabbatical right about now sounds good to me. If I had the money and the time or could make the money, I could make the time.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
In two years (and change) our youngest daughter graduates from high school and our middle graduates from college (we hope). As my employment contract ends, my wife and I plan to head out in our restored (we hope) 1967 Overlander for an up to 12 month slice of early retirement. We eventually plan to settle in the west (northern Rockies), but we're open to any sort of adventure. Our rough plan is "49in12," or 49 states in 12 months. Our decision is not motivated by the economy or politics. We both have worked hard for years. The children will be out of the home. For the first time in many years, we'll be free to ramble a bit. I expect to work the rest of my natural life, but I'm not opposed to taking on occasional sabbatical. Our "hiatus" just would not have worked with kids at home... for myriad reaons, but there's nothing to say it can't be done.

Good luck.
Good for you. Word of caution - tell the young adults you're currently mentoring/loving/supporting your future. Not as "plans" but as - you will get prepared BECAUSE we are going. If you are not prepared - we are still going.

A cute story I read not so long ago was that a mom went to a pet store to get an aquarium for her child's tadpole collection and the salesperson said, "Don't forget to put a big rock in the middle that sticks up above the water level." When mom inquired "Why?" the reply was this: "If you don't put in an obstacle they will stay tadpoles forever. Only when they have the ability and need to crawl out of the water will they start to develop legs and lose their tails and turn into frogs."

Your children will grow up as much as you require them to. I know so many people who "can't" leave home because they have 20 or even 30 something "children" still living at home.

Your plan sounds wonderful, but make sure your children are ready... and make sure you are ready to play hardball. In the end, you won't regret being the big rock in the aquarium.

Paula
Old 05-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Three words, Paula: "No forwarding address."

Seriously, though, our oldest daughter is getting married so she is officially her husband's problem in a few weeks. The middle daughter will graduate from college in spring 2011. We'll be around for the ceremony. If she wants to do graduate (aka avoiding reality for two more years), she's on her own nickel. The youngest graduates from high school in 2011. She's the one with most legitimate claim to support, but the college bills are going to get paid. She also has other relatives who can provide a place to visit for holidays.

The "slice" of early retirement is exactly that. While the Burning Man/hippie/bohemian lifestyle has an appeal, I expect we'll both return to relatively normal jobs post-hiatus. I don't ever plan on a traditional retirement. I'd like to segue into teaching, writing, dabbling, dawdling, etc., but I never want nothing to do.

I like your tadpole metaphor... but it's a bit like moving west. My wife has asked, "What if I didn't want to move west?" My reply, "I would miss you."
Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
I like your tadpole metaphor... but it's a bit like moving west. My wife has asked, "What if I didn't want to move west?" My reply, "I would miss you."
NOW THAT's FUNNY.

I too would like to take an extended leave of absence for a year or two and see the back roads of these United States. I always wanted to follow the path of Lewis And Clark, tour all the Civil War battle fields, follow the Natchez Trace, drive Route 66, visit Yellowstone, visit Yosemite, and the list goes on forever...The only problem is getting my wife away from our 18 month old grandson. She talks a good game, but when push comes to shove I don't think she could do it. I am an only son of an only son, my only living family is my mom so I don't have the family ties that my wife has, she is one of seven and the family is very close. Maybe when our grandson retires we'll be able to get away.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Married - not Conjoined Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
NOW THAT's FUNNY.

I too would like to take an extended leave of absence for a year or two and see the back roads of these United States. I always wanted to follow the path of Lewis And Clark, tour all the Civil War battle fields, follow the Natchez Trace, drive Route 66, visit Yellowstone, visit Yosemite, and the list goes on forever...The only problem is getting my wife away from our 18 month old grandson. She talks a good game, but when push comes to shove I don't think she could do it. I am an only son of an only son, my only living family is my mom so I don't have the family ties that my wife has, she is one of seven and the family is very close. Maybe when our grandson retires we'll be able to get away.
I know a lot of happy married people who don't live together full time. Take her with you for two to six weeks and send her home for a week. Rinse and repeat.

Paula
Old 05-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Paula,

That's the advantage of daughters. While we are on hiatus, I expect my wife will need to "bust out" every so often to see one of our girls. I can drive her to the airport, put her on a plane and pick her up a week later. I also have some extensive hunting and fishing plans during hiatus that will keep me away from the Overlander. I reckon the "personal space" issue will require some management, but that's true no matter how big one's domicile might be.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
My DH gets homesick for the kids and grands much sooner than I. I love them, but I've learned and I've grown very comfortable with the fact that they have their lives separate from mine and vice versa. My view is that they can come meet us a week or so along the way for their family trips as well as pull us back from ours. After two weeks, he's wanting to turn the tv back toward home and I'm still looking outward and onward. Honestly, I think part of his yearning for home is really yearning for his leather recliner, so part of my retirement travel plan is to pull out that awful sofa and replace it with two Ekhorn type chair/ottomans or something to replicate his loved recliner! This pull between us once out on the road is not easily resolved. I've enjoyed the posts above that give various points of view. ~G Yikes, I realize this is or is about to become a hijacked thread. Reconnecting now to John Galt and Dabney...and a simple independent life.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltiming