Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2020, 09:22 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Airstream has been selling out for a few years now.

What I have noticed is that folks buy and either sell pretty quick or keep forever.

We even have a new member here who joined because his wife does not like their brand new 27 footer. She prefers a fifth wheel.

So our new member has a brand new truck and Airstream for sale on our site.

They are out there if you look.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
I'd say yes, but unless we see a major correction in home prices ( likely), demand for RV's will continue to sore. Everyone is wanting to escape the nightmare of covid lockdowns. I'm sure many panicked and bought new RV's & yes, some will offload after COVID ....
my take, is that even without COVID, demand for rv's & trailers will be on massive growth as boomers retire and younger people are unable to buy homes in Ca due exessive cost & property taxes ... + many can work for laptops now too. The perfect storm?
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Norman , Arizona
Rivet

I purchased my 2009 Airstream in 2011 from a guy who bought it new without doing enough research. One 2 week vacation and he realized that he, his wife, and three small children was an overload for a 28’ International. He had tons of money so when he ordered a new huge diesel pusher with 4 slides, he put the Airstream on eBay in January of 2011. I scarfed it up at about 60% of what he had paid.
This situation isn’t exactly the same as our current one but it makes me think many stir-crazy buyers with plenty-o-money may be making knee-jerk decisions. They may also soon be the sellers bargain hunters are looking for. Time will tell. Stay tuned.
farrel509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post
Right now, someone somewhere has overloaded drawers with pots, pans, and dishes, and they are driving along a mountainous road with twists and turns and inclines and declines. They bought a gas RV or their tow vehicle isn’t designed for the load. Engines are howling, drawers are flying open, and the driver isn’t avoiding potholes. The kid is crying. In a short while, they will arrive at a capacity-plus campground where everyone has a fire pit, and the smoke is blowing into their eyes, their noses, and their RV. They didn’t get a foam topper, and the bed is hard. The AC makes too much noise, and the kid didn’t get to watch TV and is now permanently traumatized. Night falls and the only sounds to be heard are the eight couples who have circled the wagons and are having a Covid party. Their campsite, in-between the train tracks, the highway, and the nuclear power plant is pretty quiet except for the Jake-braking truckers. Weather reports indicate clear skies for the weekend but for a few sporadic thunderstorms. Morning comes early, and while dad is splattering bacon grease on the stove, mom is washing the previous evening’s smoke out of her hair. The shampoo is almost rinsed out when cold water begins to flow from the shower head. No problem, this is camping, and roughing it is the norm. As good fortune would have it, mom is able to finish rinsing the remaining flattening treatment out of her curls with some bottled water in the sink. She sits and plugs in her hair dryer. Click, pop. The tech at the factory set his torque-screwdriver too low and the plugs are blowing fuses. As dad is desperately trying to solve the electrical mystery, they hear a spattering of rain drops. The spatter turns to a drumroll. Fortunately, for our intrepid campers, the skies clear after only a shortened biblical deluge. They step out into the mud and begin to survey the situation. They walk down to the kayak rental house where all the canoos, kayaks, and paddle boards are reserved in advance. The mosquitos aren't too bad if you are enveloped in smoke or are nowhere near trees or trails. They return to their RV and try to avoid the mud. Unwittingly, mom has stepped in dog poop leftover from the courteous last RV’r. As we leave this scene and think toward the future, one camper asks: will there be a few RV’s at good prices? Maybe.
Best post of the day, made me laugh ....alot
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:35 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
The cabinet doors falling off, the microwave moving and rivets popping all sound like the trailer is getting beaten up a bit by a too rigid connection to the truck. What towing gear, if any, are you using and can you dial back the weight distribution or go to lighter bars?
Also tire pressure might be set to MaX, inflation for MAX load, and you at 1/2 to 3/4 load
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Old 08-10-2020, 04:00 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
Here is an article I read on CNN this morning. A bit toward the bottom Bob Wheeler (Airstream Pres and CEO) is quoted as saying this:

"We have enough demand right now to carry us through for a long time,"

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/b...-it/index.html
I really don't need CNN telling us this as you can for to "Any" AS dealers site and look at used and New Inventory and Most will be labeled Sold/pending) or On Order. 1 year ago that had 15 used and 20 new with 5 pending
Old 08-10-2020, 04:03 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezibels View Post
Coasttocoast, ^^^^ this is camping and a true camper keeps coming back for more of this fun! We talk about it all the way home, at work we dream about it and anxiously await the next trip out, don't we!
Yup, sign me up, winter camping about 15 years ago with the scouts in a tent 30 below, chipping the ice off your boots in the morning and making a fire so you could "feel" anything....good times, now we rough it in a 30ft Climate controlled mini Home Lol
Old 08-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Glut in two years?

Been there, done that. Scout Adult Leader for 15+ years both Cubmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster.

My back now welcomes a comfortable mattress rather than hard ground. Deep snow was ‘interesting’ and I still have the 4-season tent and other equipment we used in those days.

All three of our boys made Eagle Scout and their kids are now fully involved.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:51 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Been there, done that. Scout Adult Leader for 15+ years both Cubmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster.

My back now welcomes a comfortable mattress rather than hard ground. Deep snow was ‘interesting’ and I still have the 4-season tent and other equipment we used in those days.

All three of our boys made Eagle Scout and their kids are now fully involved.
I started in Beaver's and then Cubs, and on to Scouts, being self employed it helped me to "not mis my kids growing up" as we camped almost every month and weekly meetings etc and have made so many friends from the ten plus years I was a leader.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
There’s plenty of threads on this. So yes. Everyone buying an RV this year for 50k plus did so with no thought or planning. It will take precisely two years for them to realize their mistake, suffer financial misfortune, therefore being forced to sell their units for rock bottom prices. Then all of the smart people will buy slightly used RVs at bargain prices with the cash they have been sitting on since the 2008 financial crisis that they were saving until the market hit its low.
You seem to be suggesting the "smart" people will be buying Airstreams previously owned by "idiots", not sure that is something I'd like to do.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport 16 STL View Post
Purchased a used 2018 sport 16 in in 2019. We were always going to buy used but we were focused on micro Minnie Winnebago. Looked at smaller AS and compared. I was blown away by the number of 1-3 year old trailers for sale. It made me pause and say am I making the right decision? I believe there are going to be many more for sale when we are 100% past the covid. Today is not a good time to buy an RV or bike. Business is too good.
unless you are selling your current AS for a profit, then the cost is the same. it is all relative. Many people buy a smaller unit as an entry level unit, then live with it for a couple years and realize what they really need, sell the smaller unit and upgrade, pretty simple and common happening.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
Right now you will in all likelihood get top dollar for your 2019 as will any Airstream owner. More than they would have gotten last year this time for the same rig.

The problem is, as I see it, unless you are lucky to find exactly what you want on the lot, most of the dealers are awaiting stock replenishment and I've heard dates in Dec, Jan and Feb for the 2021 model year inventory to actually catch up. Sure there are some 2020s still out there, but not all will have the composite sub-floor, which is a major selling point IMHO. Those time frames I started to see about a month ago, so orders placed today, might not materialize until late winter early spring. The factory has typically been **around** a 90 day window from order to delivered product. Best I can tell, with the COVID shutdown and the ability (way back when I used to track it) to crank out about 20 trailers a week, may put them slightly longer than that 90 days. Additionally the market is so hot that unless you have one already on deposit, you could run the risk of not having a trailer for part next season. Long shot I know, but not within the realm of impossible.

I have seriously considered doing the same thing you are considering. My main motivation is the composite sub-floor and the very high dollar value these trailers are getting right now. That new feature alone could conceivably render an Airstream a lifetime product (minus any catastrophes). I have seen some early to mid 2000 trailers that were $25k all day long shooting upward of $37k right now...and the scary thing is that they are selling!!!

As for waiting for the glut, sure there too you could get lucky, but here is the catch, many of the newbie RV buyers out there will have next to no exp trailering.....which in my book translates to fair amounts of newbie mistakes, dents, scrapes, damaged plumbing (due to lack of or improper winterizing), etc...... damages a seasoned RVer won't see.
4-5 month lead time on new 2021 factory orders
Old 08-14-2020, 10:53 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Drifting a little off topic: will the demand for RVs continue into next year? will the nightly site fee increase with demand?
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:59 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick tracy View Post
You seem to be suggesting the "smart" people will be buying Airstreams previously owned by "idiots", not sure that is something I'd like to do.

I guess my sarcasm wasn’t clear enough.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
DFW , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Drifting a little off topic: will the demand for RVs continue into next year? will the nightly site fee increase with demand?
Any Airstream you want that isn't presently on a dealer's lot won't arrive until March or later. There will be round 2 of new RVers next year. I would expect weekend and holiday rates to go up.
Q-man13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Where are all these new campers and their trailers? I just took a trip from RI to VA and back. On the way there I only saw 8-10 RVs in total, though I might have missed a few. Still, that's nothing compared to the normal August when the roads are full of them. Is everyone camping close to home? Staying off the highways? It was weird.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
laguna beach , California
There will be a few new RVers that will fizzle out in a couple years or so. Then it will be deal time to buy...
sparkymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
WHERE's the Money coming from

Where is all the money coming from? I know banks are loaning people money on the airplanes I mentioned and I guess the same for the RVs? Don't know, I have not borrowed money in nearly 30 years for anything. Is this spawned by people who have cabin fever deciding to eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die? Our neighbors have worked very little since April and seem to be on permanent vacaiton and bought a huge new ski boat. We call it the Covidcation around here.[/QUOTE]

The money is coming from the BEST economy in our lifetimes, EVERYONE's income is up.
Let's keep it going, rising tide raises all boats, now you see it's true
Old 10-14-2020, 12:17 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Where are all these new campers and their trailers? I just took a trip from RI to VA and back. On the way there I only saw 8-10 RVs in total, though I might have missed a few. Still, that's nothing compared to the normal August when the roads are full of them. Is everyone camping close to home? Staying off the highways? It was weird.
RV’s are crazy in my area. Could be the East Coast. I think people are staying put in their home states quite a bit. Interesting observation though.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:19 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick tracy View Post
Where is all the money coming from? I know banks are loaning people money on the airplanes I mentioned and I guess the same for the RVs? Don't know, I have not borrowed money in nearly 30 years for anything. Is this spawned by people who have cabin fever deciding to eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die? Our neighbors have worked very little since April and seem to be on permanent vacaiton and bought a huge new ski boat. We call it the Covidcation around here.
The money is coming from the BEST economy in our lifetimes, EVERYONE's income is up.
Let's keep it going, rising tide raises all boats, now you see it's true[/QUOTE]

56% of the people say they are better off since 2016. The people that have done badly during this pandemic are people that make less than 40,000 a year; espeically those in the entertainment area. I know I’ve had one of the best years ever. I am a real estate appraiser and I’ve not seen anything like it in 23 years.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote