Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2022, 02:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2024 33' Classic
NYC , New Jersey
“Free stuff” with purchase

I’m curious to hear what free stuff or items the dealer threw in for you when purchasing your new airstream?

Anything not free, but you were able to get included or for a discount?
eugene32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 05:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Free as in useful?

Colonial Airstream provides a "start up kit" if you are really new to camping. It is much appreciated but there's nothing, really, that is in that kit that I'd want long-term. I think the only thing I have still from mine is the sewer doughnut, but for whatever reason in 550 RV nights camping I have literally never had to use it.

But I do appreciate them doing that. I don't know what other RV dealers do, since we've bought 3 trailers from Colonial, so will be interested in your responses.

Edit to add: I had forgotten that Patrick threw in an Equalizer hitch as part of our deal in March on our 2022 GT. Now THAT was a good freebie.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 05:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Our dealer threw in the Equalizer hitch and offered a “startup kit” for new RVers. We already had everything in their kit, so they gave us a set of Andersen levelers instead. I always thought the levelers were a gimmick but the sales guy swore by them. Now we love the levelers. Hitch works great, too.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:34 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
Start up kit, Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch, Voyager rearview camera system, and swapped out the propane oven for convection microwave.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:44 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

On both RV's the "free stuff" was basically startup stuff. Total cost would have been < $200 on Amazon. I suspect that just how much you get depends a bit on the discount you negotiated. More discount = less likelihood of a WD hitch being tossed in ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Our dealer gave us 2 years of Coach Net (we already had AAA RV, but we won’t renew it until Coach Net expires), and they sponsored our WBCCI membership. Those were both nice. I think all the other stuff came from Airstream (the entry may, torque wrench, etc.).
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 01:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
Our dealer gave us 2 years of Coach Net (we already had AAA RV, but we won’t renew it until Coach Net expires), and they sponsored our WBCCI membership. Those were both nice. I think all the other stuff came from Airstream (the entry may, torque wrench, etc.).

I believe Airstream provides the Coach Net, not the dealer.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:41 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
That's a question for the dealer, there doesn't seem to be a set list of "stuff". You will get your power cord, remote controls, some bits and pieces they didn't use in installation. After that it's dealer choice. Some offer shop discounts for things they carry, some offer a basic kit and sell an "upgraded" one for a price. Some have clubs or classes, ours even had some BBQs to meet and talk with the service guys. With others, you are lucky if they get everything that should come with the trailer to you!

Since we were experienced trailer folks, we opted NOT to take a basic package of goodies that was rolled into the sales price. Not sure it saved us any money really (they took off a couple of $$), but we already had better levelers, hoses and sewer bits than their kit did. They offered an upgraded "kit" as well as a 10% discount on any purchases from their shop during the first year.

There are oodles of variables beside what they offer. Are you experienced, already have the "stuff"? Are you buying new or used, top of the line or lowest price trailer you can find? What type of relationship do you have with the dealer? Have you negotiated or asked for anything else (upgrades-solar, different batteries, tire monitors, puncture-proof tire liners, lift kit, hitch), things the dealer can do.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:30 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Hi

.... and it typically runs as long as the warranty. If the warranty is for 3 years, so is the Coach Net.

Based on experience with both Coach Net and AAA, I would not cancel that AAA RV membership ...

Bob
Old 07-24-2022, 05:01 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2024 33' Classic
NYC , New Jersey
Wow, I would love a free hitch setup included. I’m going from popup life (backpack and tent prior) to a 33’ classic toaster FBQ. It comes with lithium I believe and solar 270W, and convection. Not much else for me to add on or upgrade.

Other than a discount off msrp I didn’t ask for anything. My poker face of trying to play like I would walk or didn’t want an AS was real weak. If I tried my kids were already shouting to anyone who would listen how much of a need vs want it would be.

I heard there’s a goodie bag. Was hoping to see themes and maybe prompt For something more of value. I don’t have hoses as my black water was a cassette and my gray water was a hose to a caddy like bin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwebs View Post
That's a question for the dealer, there doesn't seem to be a set list of "stuff". You will get your power cord, remote controls, some bits and pieces they didn't use in installation. After that it's dealer choice. Some offer shop discounts for things they carry, some offer a basic kit and sell an "upgraded" one for a price. Some have clubs or classes, ours even had some BBQs to meet and talk with the service guys. With others, you are lucky if they get everything that should come with the trailer to you!

Since we were experienced trailer folks, we opted NOT to take a basic package of goodies that was rolled into the sales price. Not sure it saved us any money really (they took off a couple of $$), but we already had better levelers, hoses and sewer bits than their kit did. They offered an upgraded "kit" as well as a 10% discount on any purchases from their shop during the first year.

There are oodles of variables beside what they offer. Are you experienced, already have the "stuff"? Are you buying new or used, top of the line or lowest price trailer you can find? What type of relationship do you have with the dealer? Have you negotiated or asked for anything else (upgrades-solar, different batteries, tire monitors, puncture-proof tire liners, lift kit, hitch), things the dealer can do.
eugene32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
“Free stuff” with purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post

Ah, didn’t know that. I guess my dealer gave me no freebies then, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
.... and it typically runs as long as the warranty. If the warranty is for 3 years, so is the Coach Net.
Ah, you are correct. I misspoke.

Quote:
Based on experience with both Coach Net and AAA, I would not cancel that AAA RV membership ...

Interesting, I followed a thread about this and there were experiences in both directions (some preferred Coach Net, some preferred AAA).
Old 07-25-2022, 11:07 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you get 20% off MSRP, it's a pretty good bet you don't *also* get $4,000 worth of Propride hitch thrown in on the deal . If you pay MSRP, I'd bet that a "free hitch" from Blue Ox is a pretty likely thing.

In normal times, there is some level of competition to sell new RV's "off the lot". The longer they have been in inventory, the more pressure to sell them. Right now, it does not appear that that dynamic is in operation. Any AS dealer with new inventory on the lot has something he could sell at ( or above ) MSRP. Will this change in a couple months? We'll see .... ( = things slow down in a lot of areas in the fall ).

Bob
Old 07-25-2022, 11:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
In normal times, there is some level of competition to sell new RV's "off the lot". The longer they have been in inventory, the more pressure to sell them. Right now, it does not appear that that dynamic is in operation. Any AS dealer with new inventory on the lot has something he could sell at ( or above ) MSRP. Will this change in a couple months? We'll see .... ( = things slow down in a lot of areas in the fall ).

Yeah, that as our experience. We didn't technically pay MSRP. I think we got 1% off or something like that (the price of a BlueOx + install these days). But they have a hard time keeping trailers on the lot. They have to either show off use trailers that sit for a bit longer, or new trailers that are already bought but have not yet been paid for and detailed. They were "all in" on their pricing. We did get them to take another $150 off for the doc fees, but that was it. It's the first time I've ever paid that close to MSRP for a "vehicle." But we were at the very beginning of their pricing increases, it's gone up 2.5% twice since ours came off the line, so by the time the supply demand equation does balance out, that 10–20% off MSRP may not make up for inflation. Such as it is. We were at least able to consing our old trailer for a good price ($9k loss over 3.5 years, and we consigned rather than private sale, actually the same loss we had on our tow vehicle trade in, lol).