Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Sun City , Arizona
Love Our 28" Intl Signature

We bought our 2014 Intl Signature used 2 years ago. The modern look of the interior sold us. We had a Class C & a Class A prior to that with the usual RV cabinets & furniture. We were looking for a change. If you want the look of "wood" get a F.C. If you like something that is not "run-of-the-mill" then look into the Signature. The 2019's are identical, but cost 20% more than our 2014, with less nice options, such as Corian countertops etc. We love the 30' Signature even more, especially with the single beds, but our Tahoe can't tow 10,000 lbs. We are very happy with our 2014, as we see 2018's have refrigerator problems due to the Airstream change in venting & problems with the "Rube Goldburg" automatic awning.
One change that I am going to make is the tires. The OE Chinese Goodyear tires are of poor quality and tend to have overheating & ply separation problems. Goodyear has a new American made, Load range E, vs. D tire for sale, but $125 each. Too bad Michelin doesn't make an RV trailer tire. I've had them on my previous coaches and they were outstanding, but expensive.
BoeingJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingJet View Post
We bought our 2014 Intl Signature used 2 years ago. The modern look of the interior sold us. We had a Class C & a Class A prior to that with the usual RV cabinets & furniture. We were looking for a change. If you want the look of "wood" get a F.C. If you like something that is not "run-of-the-mill" then look into the Signature. The 2019's are identical, but cost 20% more than our 2014, with less nice options, such as Corian countertops etc. We love the 30' Signature even more, especially with the single beds, but our Tahoe can't tow 10,000 lbs. We are very happy with our 2014, as we see 2018's have refrigerator problems due to the Airstream change in venting & problems with the "Rube Goldburg" automatic awning.
One change that I am going to make is the tires. The OE Chinese Goodyear tires are of poor quality and tend to have overheating & ply separation problems. Goodyear has a new American made, Load range E, vs. D tire for sale, but $125 each. Too bad Michelin doesn't make an RV trailer tire. I've had them on my previous coaches and they were outstanding, but expensive.
Read on the posts here about the Endurance and also the 16" Michelins many have upgraded to the 16" Sendal wheels to fit the true light truck 16" LT Michelins.. Michelin used to make a 15" LT (actual "light truck") rated tire; I had on my first 2 AS's; but, no more. Lots of good data on this topic here on the Forum.

Glad your happy with your 2014 28'. I liked our 2014 25' FC, except for 2 things; the AC was not ducted and noisy when in use; also, did/do not like the long lounge design on the 25 and 27' models...that's a big reason we went to the 28'.

As for tires, I just changed out the GYM (Good Year Marathon) tires for the Good Year Endurance (made in USA); lots of happy posts on these new tires. Very happy so far...check the air pressure for your weight on your AS; even though they will take 70PSI, it is too stiff for my 28'; actual air pressure recommended was 45psi. Just finished a trip back from MT to Austin...2200+ miles and they preformed fine; no popped rivets nor screws on the floor.

As for automatic awning....lots of posts about issues with them also...seems like a nice feature, but never had a problem putting up or taking down manual awnings...once you watch the youtube on this, pretty fast and easy to do....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
More flying cloud’s built then internationals. If you were able to buy a flying cloud or international slightly used. It is always a great option. I know many are leery about buying used. buy a flying cloud new and have ultimate Airstream re-envision your new AS with Corian . Even internationals serenity‘s do not come with everything. We purchased a 2018 25 FB international serenity, and had ultimate Airstream put all of our favorite upgrades. Vessel sink, smaller table in Corian matching kitchen Corian, cabinet finish over refrigerator, upgraded upholstery . we love it. They are in Oregon, come and visit the Oregon coast drop off your airstream, they will fix you up with a loaner AS while they do your renovations they are awesome.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Corian package through Ultimate Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I think the Flying Cloud line is more popular for several reasons; International, (Décor) are not worth the extra $10K or so, to us. The only thing we like on International is the kitchen corian counter top vs formica, but they should have also figured a way to use same corian material for dinning table. We do not like the sliding doors in the cabinets for access; Flying Cloud access to cupboards is much nicer and you can store larger items easier. Also don't care for the darker cabinets. If price was the same for both models, I still think the cabinet access is an advantage for FC.
Ultimate Airstream Oregon has 20+ Color hue can’t even imagine. International serenity just as the flying cloud has a light interior. We love it and now with everything in Corian and our upgrades we couldn’t be happier. Flying cloud does have very nice cabinetry better access as you stated
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I haven’t read every single post in the thread so sorry if I am repeating what has already been said. I have heard, from a couple of decent sources, that Airstream plans to replace the International line with the new Globetrotter. I really like the new Globetrotter even though to get the 27 table to change into a bed you need to actually carry along some extra cushions. Yeah, not the best design if you do this often.

My largest hang up with the Internationals are the overhead sliding doors as many others have said. Notice in the Globetrotter they are using the same design as in the FC. I like the new materials, the Corian counters and the flooring materials. This is going to be a big seller, I feel.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat200 View Post
More flying cloud’s built then internationals. If you were able to buy a flying cloud or international slightly used. It is always a great option. I know many are leery about buying used. buy a flying cloud new and have ultimate Airstream re-envision your new AS with Corian . Even internationals serenity‘s do not come with everything. We purchased a 2018 25 FB international serenity, and had ultimate Airstream put all of our favorite upgrades. Vessel sink, smaller table in Corian matching kitchen Corian, cabinet finish over refrigerator, upgraded upholstery . we love it. They are in Oregon, come and visit the Oregon coast drop off your airstream, they will fix you up with a loaner AS while they do your renovations they are awesome.
To your point on Ultimate Airstreams options....great selection of upgrades and excellent planning...only takes $$. Said many times, wish AS was flexible from the start. Unless your buying used, it is hard for me to get my head around replacing new furniture or cabinets with $10K+ options when purchasing a new AS...maybe just my thinking....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ultimate Airstreams Catalog 1.pdf (2.55 MB, 70 views)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 09-30-2018, 10:07 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Thanks for posting Ultimate Airstreams' catalog, gypsydad. Unfortunately, it did not have the conversion I'd really like. Has anyone had the upper cabinets replaced? We had in International Sig. for 10 years. It was written off, and we replaced it with a FC. I really dislike the upper cabinets on the FC and would like them replaced with International cabinets. I know they won't be able to add the back-lighting, but the International cabinets are larger and more usable.

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
Thanks for posting Ultimate Airstreams' catalog, gypsydad. Unfortunately, it did not have the conversion I'd really like. Has anyone had the upper cabinets replaced? We had in International Sig. for 10 years. It was written off, and we replaced it with a FC. I really dislike the upper cabinets on the FC and would like them replaced with International cabinets. I know they won't be able to add the back-lighting, but the International cabinets are larger and more usable.
Actually, the International cabinets are not as accessible for getting larger items in and out, as the FC style cabinets. Several posts on this from owners of both. They look nice, but the sliding doors and their tracks make it more difficult to maneuver around. From our experience, the FC flip-up type cabinets give you total access, but that's just our opinion.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
We had both. A 30' International and now a 30' Classic. I found the International cabinets far more useful than the flip up door style.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
We had both. A 30' International and now a 30' Classic. I found the International cabinets far more useful than the flip up door style.
What did I miss here, Frank? With the cabinet doors open, you have total access to the space inside...with the sliders, your limited by the opening and upper/lower retainer for the doors? Am I wrong? We could not get larger items in/out in our test....think mixing bowls, containers with things like remote's and cables, which we don't just lay around; we try to use organized plastic bins for lots of our stuff so we can pull out a bin for easy access...maybe we missed something, but the bins were too large to get into the slider openings, but went in easy in the FC cabinets... Do like the lighting, but that's about all....
Old 10-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Quote:
I'm with you! We can't even fit a dinner plate in the cabinet above our galley. Our International had much deeper cabinets. I had to move anything of size (dinner plates, mixing bowls, etc.) to the cabinet over the sofa. All of the storage boxes that we had in the uppers in our International don't fit in the FC. It's so frustrating.

Also, in order to accommodate the flip up door, there is a support in the middle of the cabinets. The International cabinets are fully open, which also adds to the usability.

Things are so crammed into our FC that the aluminum inside the cabinets is now banged up. We owned our 23 International for 10 years and never had that happen, and we have LESS in the FC uppers. Go figure.

We will be at Jackson Center for Alumapalooza, so I'll ask about getting International uppers installed there. I was hoping that someone knew of a company, preferably in the west, that did such mods. Oh well.

Lisa

Old 10-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
I'm with you! We can't even fit a dinner plate in the cabinet above our galley. Our International had much deeper cabinets. I had to move anything of size (dinner plates, mixing bowls, etc.) to the cabinet over the sofa. All of the storage boxes that we had in the uppers in our International don't fit in the FC. It's so frustrating.

Also, in order to accommodate the flip up door, there is a support in the middle of the cabinets. The International cabinets are fully open, which also adds to the usability.

Things are so crammed into our FC that the aluminum inside the cabinets is now banged up. We owned our 23 International for 10 years and never had that happen, and we have LESS in the FC uppers. Go figure.

We will be at Jackson Center for Alumapalooza, so I'll ask about getting International uppers installed there. I was hoping that someone knew of a company, preferably in the west, that did such mods. Oh well.

Lisa
Odd- think the cabinets are same size overall in both models; just that the sliders which actually reduce the overall access/size, from what I have observed with the sliders...not sure of the size you think are in the International, but I am interested in why you think smaller in FC of the same model? Would love to understand the difference of apples to apples in both models... I know for example, the International model of my 28' FC, has more cabinets then International model...I know the International has Corian and different colors...but not sure about other advantages, including cabinet size?.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:

Lisa
Yes, the cabinets were deeper. With the flip up front doors we have to be real careful before opening the doors after a bumpy ride. Stuff comes spilling out at you. And finally for me at 6' 4 if my wife leaves one open behind my back I bang my head every time. I got all kinds knots on my head now.
The boss wanted a Classic and I wanted a more comfy head so I live with the compromise.

I don't believe Airstream is too keen on mixing up options and decors. That is how they get to charge premium prices on more desirable featured models.
I know I wouldn't do it if it were my decision.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Yes, the cabinets were deeper. With the flip up front doors we have to be real careful before opening the doors after a bumpy ride. Stuff comes spilling out at you. And finally for me at 6' 4 if my wife leaves one open behind my back I bang my head every time. I got all kinds knots on my head now.
The boss wanted a Classic and I wanted a more comfy head so I live with the compromise.

I don't believe Airstream is too keen on mixing up options and decors. That is how they get to charge premium prices on more desirable featured models.
I know I wouldn't do it if it were my decision.
Careful there, you don't want to be known as a "knot head"...From time to time, some items not in containers have shifted but nothing causing us to think about switching from FC. Their is a nice size 3-4" lip on the bottom of the cabinets (see photos) and the plastic containers and portable shelving help organize; all work pretty well..

Still wondering about the cabinets in the international being bigger than Flying Cloud...Anyone out there measured cabinets in both to help clear up this assertion? I can always go down to AS and measure next week, if no one has any update....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinets.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	324406   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181004_105222_resizedcabinets 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	324407  

Old 10-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Quote:
Careful there, you don't want to be known as a "knot head"...From time to time, some items not in containers have shifted but nothing causing us to think about switching from FC. Their is a nice size 3-4" lip on the bottom of the cabinets (see photos) and the plastic containers and portable shelving help organize; all work pretty well..

Still wondering about the cabinets in the international being bigger than Flying Cloud...Anyone out there measured cabinets in both to help clear up this assertion? I can always go down to AS and measure next week, if no one has any update....

I can tell by looking at them that they are much, much shallower in the FC. We have pots, pans and coffee maker up there.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
I can tell by looking at them that they are much, much shallower in the FC. We have pots, pans and coffee maker up there.
Our toaster and coffe maker used front be front and back in the Inernational. Now we have to place them side by side because the flip up cabinet isn't deep enough.
Overall we had far more sto rage in our 30' International then th current 30' Classic.
Consequently I carried far more junk I never used.
So at the end of the day it works just fine.
Other than the newley aquired knots on my head.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Quote:

I don't own my International any longer so I can't measure, but I know the storage boxes that were above our galley do not fit in the FC. In your picture, I notice that you have your dinner plates above the sofa. That is where we have to store ours now too. The cabinets at the front and back are similar size. The cabinet above the galley is much smaller.

Look at pictures of the galley in an International. For reference, look at the hood vent. Notice how it tucks under an International cabinet but hangs out by about 4 inches on an FC. (Sorry, I'm off-grid right now and I have very limited data, so I can't post a pic)

By nature of a flip up door, the overall cabinet has to be smaller to accommodate the door movement. Otherwise, the door would flip out too far and you'd hit your head.

If you are happy with your FC cabinets, don't worry about it. I'm not happy with my cabinets. That's why I posted the message if anyone knew of a company that would manufacture and install International cabinets for me.

Lisa

Old 10-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Quote:
.... if anyone knew of a company that would manufacture and install International cabinets for me.
You might give these folks a look:
http://ultimateairstream.com/

SG
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
I don't own my International any longer so I can't measure, but I know the storage boxes that were above our galley do not fit in the FC. In your picture, I notice that you have your dinner plates above the sofa. That is where we have to store ours now too. The cabinets at the front and back are similar size. The cabinet above the galley is much smaller.

Look at pictures of the galley in an International. For reference, look at the hood vent. Notice how it tucks under an International cabinet but hangs out by about 4 inches on an FC. (Sorry, I'm off-grid right now and I have very limited data, so I can't post a pic)

By nature of a flip up door, the overall cabinet has to be smaller to accommodate the door movement. Otherwise, the door would flip out too far and you'd hit your head.

If you are happy with your FC cabinets, don't worry about it. I'm not happy with my cabinets. That's why I posted the message if anyone knew of a company that would manufacture and install International cabinets for me.

Lisa
Does anyone have an FC who owned same model International who can confirm? (I note the last few posts were from 30' owners)...I know in the 28' FC there are 2 more cabinets above the dinning area for example..not apples to apples in overall storage...but I have not measured the depth of both. Just seems the cabinets are the same overall size...if you look at the 2018 brochures of the International and Flying Cloud models, you see they look the about the same size to me, except the International angles at the top...but the sliding doors seem to take up some room also... I will go down to AS tomorrow now, and measure....you've got me wondering... Oh, and I note the stove top vents look about the same in both models....just saying...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cabinet comparison.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	324651  
Old 10-07-2018, 07:45 PM   #60
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
It will be interesting to hear your measurements. In the meantime, here are a couple more photos, from a 2019 International 25FB and Flying Cloud 25FB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	international-galley.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	324672   Click image for larger version

Name:	flying-cloud-galley.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	324673  

kpm is offline   Reply With Quote