Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #1

Salt Lake City , Utah
First Time Buyer: 1966 Airstream 29'

Hi,
My wife and I are excited to join the Airstream community. This is our first time posting.

We have decided that we'd like to buy an classic airstream and renovate the whole thing. We've been looking for some time now and stumbled upon a

1966 Airstream 29' that is completely gutted a.k.a. all that's left is wheels, walls, and glass. We were wondering what a good price range would be for something like this trailer with nothing included? He's asking around $2000 is that way out of the ballpark?

Thanks for any advice you have. And we're excited to soon be posting about a Airstream renovation!
endroits1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by endroits1 View Post
Hi,
My wife and I are excited to join the Airstream community. This is our first time posting.

We have decided that we'd like to buy an classic airstream and renovate the whole thing. We've been looking for some time now and stumbled upon a

1966 Airstream 29' that is completely gutted a.k.a. all that's left is wheels, walls, and glass. We were wondering what a good price range would be for something like this trailer with nothing included? He's asking around $2000 is that way out of the ballpark?

Thanks for any advice you have. And we're excited to soon be posting about a Airstream renovation!
Welcome!

*IF* the shell and the frame are in very good condition, and the tires and axles are good enough to tow it home and hold it up while you do renovations, it's not completely out of the ballpark but it seems high if it doesn't include any of the things he's taken out. Without some of the original components to use as a template it'll be a different sort of project to renotave to a usable state.

You didn't mention the floor at all... does that mean it's not there, or you just haven't thought about it? If the floor is in, it's easy to determine its condition with the trailer gutted like you describe (look for any soft spots, especially around the edges.) If it's an already-replaced floor, make sure it's installed properly and connected properly to the shell.

There are many variables with a needs-reno trailer, and it's hard to give much guidance without touching the trailer or at least seeing lots of pictures. I'd say if what's still there is not in excellent shape (few or no dented panels, all windows are clear and solid and work properly, floor is solid and usable as-is, running gear is decent) then $1000 is a more realistic number.

Here's a useful site with a lot of information:

Vintage Airstream price vs condition

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #3

Salt Lake City , Utah
Thank you very much for you're replay. We're heading out to see it on Sunday and I was hoping to post some picture to give a better idea of what I'm looking at.
endroits1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1966, 1966 sovereign, price