Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2021, 03:22 PM   #1

2022 16' Basecamp
CALEDONIA , New York
First time Airstream Buyer

We just sold our Tab Boondock and looking forward to purchasing at 16x Basecamp. We live outside of Rochester NY and went to Colton RV. The sales person stated that the price for a 2022 16x Basecamp would be 48500. and two weeks later they got one in. When I contacted our salesman he stated that this one is not for sale and that they intend to keep it on the lot to show people what this model is like for future orders. I by chance called and talked to another sales person at Colton and he stated that the 16x Basecamp on the lot is for sale but the price is 54,000.00. This type of business practice seems shoddy to me or is this just another example of how people sell Airstream's?
Bob Herson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:58 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That is not the usual way that Airstreams are sold. Right now, Airstreams are going for at or over MSRP. It seems that new trucks are about the same. Hopefully, this will pass.

You might consider giving Colonial Airstream a call. They are in Lakewood, New Jersey and are considered a very reputable dealer.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
First of all, welcome to the forum. It's great to have you on board.

It seems to me as though they are taking advantage of the supply issues. If this is indeed the case this is a shorted sighted, ill advised, practice. Customers tent to not forgot such incidents.

But just to make sure I'd call a few dealers and ask what the MSRP is for the 16' Basecamp.

I hope you are able to get what you want.
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Welcome to the forum!
As my brother (who worked for Ford at the time) once told me, "If you aren't comfortable with a dealer, move on. You don't owe them anything."
This dealer has not earned your business.
Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I am not sure if this applies in your situation but it sounds like it.

Last spring, for the first time since owning an Airstream, I began shopping for a new one. I discovered by contacting three dealers that on lot pricing is currently different than order pricing. I also called and spoke with Patrick B. at Colonial. You can order one for a better price but getting one off the lot is more money.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:37 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Agree with these comments, call Colonial. They are not that far away and one of the best dealers in the country.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
2017 22' Sport
Coral Canyon, Washington City , Utah
Consider used. Many listed in your general area. Look at Sport 16 v Basecamp. I bought 2015 Sport 16 three years ago and just added 2017 Sport 22 for the longer trips
MrStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Especially right now, there is a huge premium placed on "on lot" models. This is because the wait time for ordering one is *crazy* long. It's a shame that the dealership you are talking with doesn't have a coordinated team. This is one of the reasons I hate dealing with commission-based dealers. Every sales person will tell you something different, and some of them are real a-holes, willing to screw the customer to make a buck. You'd think those guys would get weeded out (treating people poorly), but instead they have the highest sales and get promoted to the top. It's a bad system. *Especially* in Basecamps, I would check used listings. Basecamps seem to have a *much* higher turn over rate than "regular" Airstream trailers. If you haven't already, you may want to look into that as well, and maybe *rent* a Basecamp for a week to see if you like it as much as you think you will before dropping $50k on one.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:24 PM   #9

2022 16' Basecamp
CALEDONIA , New York
Basecamp prices

To me 54,000 is way too much for a Basecamp 16x and not impressed with such tactics. I offered Colton 48,000.00 plus tax and license twice via a email mail and they did not even respond. The Basecamp has been on the lot for over three months. Frustrated but I hear nothing but good stuff about Colonial and will likely order one if the Colton people do not get back to me by Saturday. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:11 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

MARILLA , New York
I live in WNY and Colton is awful!!!! I wouldn't buy a Huffy bicycle from them. I visited Colonial as others suggested, but I found Patrick to be arrogant and rude. I ended up buying from Erik Barker at Woodland in MI. He was awesome! And actually appreciates your business. And I got a 13% discount off the order of my Flying Cloud. This was at the end of September. Good luck to you!
Nicdem79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
Have you physically looked at the trailer they have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herson View Post
To me 54,000 is way too much for a Basecamp 16x and not impressed with such tactics. I offered Colton 48,000.00 plus tax and license twice via a email mail and they did not even respond. The Basecamp has been on the lot for over three months. Frustrated but I hear nothing but good stuff about Colonial and will likely order one if the Colton people do not get back to me by Saturday. Thanks for the feedback.
Bob

I've been hearing of people ordering/buying sight unseen from the pamphlet or internet pictures. If you did get a chance to look at the unit great if not take advantage of one being close by and go spend some time in it. Then compare it to what you want and look elsewhere. I shopped at the colton in Buffalo and was not impressed with the dealership and that was 3-4 years back when the lot was loaded and I could actually compare colors and trim levels by walking from one unit to another.

I've heard of two other dealers that may(or may not) be within your driving distance. Airstream of Central PA and Woodland Airstream in grand rapids. I wouldn't recommend the one in Columbus, another story.

If you find a used unit some distance away take advantage of the listing of owner inspectors that will go and evaluate the trailer for you, Just a thought and another option to consider.
Rick & Becky #28279
2018 FC27FBQ
2021 RAM 2500 Hemi 6.4
KD3OBX 146.520
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
We just sold our Tab Boondock and looking forward to purchasing at 16x Basecamp. We live outside of Rochester NY and went to Colton RV. The sales person stated that the price for a 2022 16x Basecamp would be 48500. and two weeks later they got one in. When I contacted our salesman he stated that this one is not for sale and that they intend to keep it on the lot to show people what this model is like for future orders. I by chance called and talked to another sales person at Colton and he stated that the 16x Basecamp on the lot is for sale but the price is 54,000.00. This type of business practice seems shoddy to me or is this just another example of how people sell Airstream's?
That is one mickey mouse policy.
Which outlet? They have 3 in WNY.

We live 5mi away from the Southwestern Blvd. facility....I only go there for the brochures.
Last time we drove by we couldn't see an AS on the lot.

We waited for 45min for an associate to help us with a parts order, they couldn't find it on the computer...we left.
If they couldn't find the part to order, why should we leave & return when it came in?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-30-2021, 08:43 PM   #13

2022 16' Basecamp
CALEDONIA , New York
purchasing basecamp 16X

thanks guys for all the great feedback. I did have a good contact with Colonial but decided to go with the dealer in Albany NY as they gave me the best price and they do not have the 5,000.00 down minimum non refundable requirement which to me is a major selling point itself. Proposed delivery is August but will not be holding my breath. Made a couple more emails to Colton never even got a response. Glad it is over plus I like the idea of ordering as it allows me time to generate more funds so we can hopefully put least 70% down. Hate owning anyone anything. Did shop the market via You Tube for a off grid minimalist camper of quality and did not find anything even close to the Basecamp. Really do not think the Scamp or the Casita are up to the rough and tumble type camping I like to do. Looking forward to being an active participant in the forum and sure will have ton's of questions once we get it.

Bohemian Bob
Old 12-31-2021, 01:42 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
Quote:
thanks guys for all the great feedback. I did have a good contact with Colonial but decided to go with the dealer in Albany NY as they gave me the best price and they do not have the 5,000.00 down minimum non refundable requirement which to me is a major selling point itself. Proposed delivery is August but will not be holding my breath. Made a couple more emails to Colton never even got a response. Glad it is over plus I like the idea of ordering as it allows me time to generate more funds so we can hopefully put least 70% down. Hate owning anyone anything. Did shop the market via You Tube for a off grid minimalist camper of quality and did not find anything even close to the Basecamp. Really do not think the Scamp or the Casita are up to the rough and tumble type camping I like to do. Looking forward to being an active participant in the forum and sure will have ton's of questions once we get it.

Bohemian Bob
Good luck, and I hope it all works out, as our first stop was Albany RV (assuming that is where you purchased). Salesman was a super nice guy. But, in reading the reviews, I was astonished at the fact that there was not one single review that was not as bad as could be. That is why we went to Colonial.

Anyway, i do hope it works out well for you.

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:

Bohemian Bob
Everyones situation is different; my son purchased the Basecamp 20X last year about this time from Tampa. (he lives in Austin) He used it 4 trips; drive from FL to TX; then Big Bend, Tetons and MT trips. His wife said it was too cramped for the 4 of them which includes 2 young girls and Frenchy dog. When they get something else, it will be at least a conventional Airstream likely a 23 or 25'. You need to spend time in the unit, sands using it. Casita works great for a couple, but it is also tight; half the price of a Basecamp or Bambi however. Go to an AS dealer; spend time sitting inside a unit so you can imagine how you would use on a trip; think about living/sleeping; whats required each day in a small unit; make up the beds each day to sit? TV in inclement weather? Storage for all your "stuff". Most all the AS's can be raised a few inches to go off roading from my experience, and that is common for many here. Take your time, likely you will end up like many of us and purchase one, then decide it was too small....or maybe too big--who knows; only you will be the judge here!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
We just sold our Tab BoondockÖ.
Just wondering why the Tab Boondock didnít work out for you.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:59 AM   #17

2022 16' Basecamp
CALEDONIA , New York
We really liked the T@b bondock-we had 320 Boondock lite. We found that the basecamp seemed to have a bit more headroom and the kitchen area seems to have more space to cook indoors. In the T@b we found we could not both be in the camper while trying to cook. The T@b was great quality but we just wanted a little more room.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:32 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
We really liked the T@b bondock-we had 320 Boondock lite. We found that the basecamp seemed to have a bit more headroom and the kitchen area seems to have more space to cook indoors. In the T@b we found we could not both be in the camper while trying to cook. The T@b was great quality but we just wanted a little more room.
I’m late to the party, but we went with the Basecamp 20X and love it. New to Airstream, and my first trailer, though my wife grew up with them. We’ve had it for about 4 months, and the past 2 weekends were the first spent at home — parts finally came in and then covid shut down the service area.

We’ve been snowed on, rained on, had a massive branch bounce off us in a wind storm, and the BC hasn’t missed a beat. Took that branch like a champ, just a minor dent to the accessory rail. When I went outside, it was draped over the trailer, snapped at the rail. Very resilient.

We live in Oregon, so we didn’t bother to winterize. It’s rarely below freezing for more than an hour or three unless you’re above 1500’. We had some slow water flow for a few seconds, nothing more. And that may have been the defective-from-the-factory water pump.

We only have me, my wife, and our three-year-old, so the size is perfect for us. The lack of immediately-obsolete tech was a bonus for us. Also, I dig the cylon look, personally. The historical aspect (modeled on the Torpedo) also appealed to me.

Everyone has their take on it. We looked at one awaiting pickup, fell in love, and haven’t looked back.

My advice? Make sure you are comfortable sitting in the bathroom. It’s tight enough that I was worried about my mild claustrophobia. It works for me, but I definitely prefer to get in, do my business, and get out, quick as can be. And showering a toddler is…interesting, if that’s a concern.

Hope you love yours as we love ours. Love her, like I love her, and there will be joy.
dkmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:37 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
First time Airstream Buyer

I just purchased a Globetrotter (upgrading from a 2016) from Airstream of Dallas because of how they treated me when I was on the road. Canít say enough about their professionalism both sales and maintenance.

When I was in the showroom a few days ago, there were 3 used base camps and their website still shows them in stock. https://www.airstreamdfw.com/used-rvs-for-sale

For me, it was a 2 day drive (3 by the time we settled in) to pickup the unit we ordered in September. I say this because you may want to consider a road trip to this or some other dealer. Iíd consider one of these 2021 or 2019ís over ordering something new.

As an aside, we also own a Nucamp 400 Boondock. You should be prepared for a totally different experience from the quality of the build to the ergonomics of how the unit performs. Nucamp is higher quality, better designed and the Alde system uses virtually no power to keep the trailer warm as opposed to the Airstream furnace where you really have to think about how much battery you have and how long youíll be boondocking for. The insulation in the Nucamp is a brilliant sandwich design while the AS has no insulation to speak of. I point this out because coming from Rochester, you may be taking for granted how well your Nucamp design performed in the shoulder seasons. If these issues donít matter to you then ignore this post. If they do, go into the Airstream ownership with your eyes wide open.

I love my Airstream but Iím realistic about what it is and isnít. If Nucamp partnered with Airstream and took over their engineering weíd see an entirely different Airstream experience. But I digress.

Best,
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
I just purchased a Globetrotter (upgrading from a 2016) from Airstream of Dallas because of how they treated me when I was on the road. Can’t say enough about their professionalism both sales and maintenance.

When I was in the showroom a few days ago, there were 3 used base camps and their website still shows them in stock. https://www.airstreamdfw.com/used-rvs-for-sale

For me, it was a 2 day drive (3 by the time we settled in) to pickup the unit we ordered in September. I say this because you may want to consider a road trip to this or some other dealer. I’d consider one of these 2021 or 2019’s over ordering something new.

As an aside, we also own a Nucamp 400 Boondock. You should be prepared for a totally different experience from the quality of the build to the ergonomics of how the unit performs. Nucamp is higher quality, better designed and the Alde system uses virtually no power to keep the trailer warm as opposed to the Airstream furnace where you really have to think about how much battery you have and how long you’ll be boondocking for. The insulation in the Nucamp is a brilliant sandwich design while the AS has no insulation to speak of. I point this out because coming from Rochester, you may be taking for granted how well your Nucamp design performed in the shoulder seasons. If these issues don’t matter to you then ignore this post. If they do, go into the Airstream ownership with your eyes wide open.

I love my Airstream but I’m realistic about what it is and isn’t. If Nucamp partnered with Airstream and took over their engineering we’d see an entirely different Airstream experience. But I digress.

Best,
Yes good advise; go into a Nucamp also with your eyes wide open...Nucamp is a teardrop, compact trailer, for 2 adults and perhaps a kiddo; lets hope you don't have inclement weather for more than a night! There are lots of other "options" in that size bumper pull, if your into minimalist overnight or boondocking weekends and your tired of a tent. It's a nice choice; Casita, Bigfoot, Scamp, Basecamp are other options also. Your correct that Airstream is not a 4 season trailer; they tell you that in the literature, although many here have "made it comfortable" for winter with some "adjustments" for the weather.

Different experience with your 27' AS for sure. But, you did purchase an AS for what ever reason..imagine the Nucamp becomes tight after few days...our Casita sure did, with our Boxer! Went from AS 25', to Casita, back to AS 25' several years back... The AS is much more substantial in many areas, if you are on the road a lot; we camp/use our AS May thru October, and some times in winter months in TX. Moved to the 28' back in 2017 because the 25' got a little small for the wife...

Not sure merging with Nucamp /AS would yield anything new...the Nest merger did not work out...On the other hand, The Basecamp 20X would be a good comparison with the Nucamp, perhaps. The larger AS's offer more room, tow well, and of course, hold their value well. My experience is that all RV's have issues; newer models of AS included. It's all in what you want, right?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote