Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
Factory Direct Purchases?

Is it possible to purchase a new Airstream directly from the factory? I keep hearing that whenever possible repairs should be done at the factory so...it seems like buying directly would save money and hassles....
Joellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joellen View Post
Is it possible to purchase a new Airstream directly from the factory?
No, you have to go through an authorized dealer.

However you are welcome to take it to the factory service center for repairs if you want to.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
We just ordered ours through dealer, but it came right from factory as the model we wanted wasn't in stock. I also communicated with the factory and they kept me posted as to where it was in the production cycle. After the factory notified me of the date it was finished, it showed up at the dealer in Colorado, 6 days later.

Thx
Troutboy
Old 01-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
One doesn't take a car to the manufacturer for repairs, so why Airstream? Maybe in order to be a Airstream dealer, the dealership has to have an Airstream authorized body shop. The water heater, AC, furnace etc have their own warrantyand can be repaired by any RV dealer/repair shop. If they don't meet or EXCEED those requirements, NO DEALERSHIP. IF a unit needs to go to JC it be the responsibility of the selling dealership to deliver and return in a timely manner.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Unfortunately, the RV world doesn't use the automobile model. How often do you see a car dealership selling vehicles from different companies? I'm not talking about a group of dealers, but one dealership that sells Toyota, Ford, General Motors, and Volkswagen. Now how many RV dealerships do you know of that sell Airstream, Heartland, Forest River, Jayco, etc. The next time you go to an RV show, pick up a brochure from as many brands as you can. The back page of almost all of them will urge you to buy from your local dealer and take the RV back there for warranty work as other dealers will put their own customers ahead of you. There are more than a few stories of people who have purchased new rigs from a low-price, volume dealer halfway across the country and then have found that their local dealer won't even talk to them about warranty work.

That said, several of the high-end motor home companies, and a few high-end fifth wheel companies, ONLY sell direct. They authorize a mobile mechanic or local service shop to do warranty work on a case-by-case basis. I suspect that they pay the regular rate for that work, rather than the discounted rate that most companies pay their dealers.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"There are more than a few stories of people who have purchased new rigs from a low-price, volume dealer halfway across the country and then have found that their local dealer won't even talk to them about warranty work."

Under the new "5-rivet" program any Airstream dealer that does this is subject to losing their franchise. If you or anyone else experiences this treatment report them to Jackson Center.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We bought our unit from Colonial in New Jersey because they had the exact model we wanted in stock when we were ready to buy. Since then we've had our Airstream serviced by a dealer nearer our home (Woodland in Grand Rapids, Michigan) and we've been treated like family by Woodland.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
How do you know the 5 rivet dealers or the rating of any dealer? I can't find a thing about that program online?

Thanks,
Troutboy
Old 01-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I think saying "taking it to the factory for repair" is somewhat a misleading statement.
The repair facility is adjacent to the manufacturing facilities, on the same property as or across the street from them.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Just a thought: What's the dealer that is closest to the factory? Perhaps those who want to buy direct could work through that dealer.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:12 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Just a thought: What's the dealer that is closest to the factory? Perhaps those who want to buy direct could work through that dealer.
I think that would be Arbogast in Troy.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Haydocy in Columbus, Ohio is 70 miles away. When I last visited there was a couple at the factory watching their trailer roll off the line. It left the next morning for Haydocy. The we're going to meet it there and take delivery. Tour guide told me it was a common occurance.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:40 AM   #13
jkwoodrow

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Springfield , Ohio
I've never been to Haydocy so I don't mean anything negative about them but I did go to Arbogast's last week and was quite impressed with their facilities. They are just down I-75 from Jackson Center. Maybe 30 miles or so.
John Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote